Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Should I throw away my perfectly good external hard drive, perfectly good monitor, and perfectly good thumb drive and buy USB-C ones for the new MBP?

One can get dongles, but if USB-C is the way of the future why invest in dongles, might as well throw away the accessories you have and put all that money for dongles towards new accessories.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
the hard drive is the drive removable? Is so just get a USB C housing. Are there any accessories that you can just get a new cable. Granted it won't be faster but if you're just moving a few files it won't make that much of a difference.
Do you use a different thumb drives for different reason or just one? Also a lot of people still use the the A type connector so its just easier to use an adaptor for now.

Benny L

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2017
Vegas baby
Should I throw away my perfectly good external hard drive, perfectly good monitor, and perfectly good thumb drive and buy USB-C ones for the new MBP?

One can get dongles, but if USB-C is the way of the future why invest in dongles, might as well throw away the accessories you have and put all that money for dongles towards new accessories.

NO-just order an adaptor like this. - I ordered another one to keep in my truck.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M07537X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
works for my ntb pro and works for me.
buy this or something similar and should be good to go

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
the hard drive is the drive removable? Is so just get a USB C housing. Are there any accessories that you can just get a new cable. Granted it won't be faster but if you're just moving a few files it won't make that much of a difference.
Do you use a different thumb drives for different reason or just one? Also a lot of people still use the the A type connector so its just easier to use an adaptor for now.
NO-just order an adaptor like this. - I ordered another one to keep in my truck.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M07537X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
works for my ntb pro and works for me.
buy this or something similar and should be good to go

Am I expected to use the adapters forever? I mean who knows when my accessories will stop working, and I'll need new ones (which then I could get the USB-C ones)

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
I'd play it safe and use dongles until the perfect alternatives come out. If ideal alternatives are already available, I'd make the switch now.

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada

Yeah might as well give them all a toss.

Benny L

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2017
Vegas baby
Am I expected to use the adapters forever? I mean who knows when my accessories will stop working, and I'll need new ones (which then I could get the USB-C ones)
Dude - if your usb accessories are all working why not buy a $25 dongle and down the road when you buy new accessories get usb- c accessories ?
Your usb accessories may last yrs in which case a $25 dongle will serve you well.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Just use an adapter cable for now. More and more USB-C accessories are coming so waiting a little bit will give you a better selection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.