Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 9.13.04 PM.png

Hi,

This is my Mac, and it has been running very slow all year. I would like to know, how has it improved (the new 2015 model)? I am thinking of upgrading now, as I cannot wait any longer. I just do not want a new one to come out right away. What would you suggest I do?

Thanks,
countryside

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Is it slow in specific tasks or just generally? If it's the latter, you might want to try clean installing OS X.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I can't imagine how the typical year-to-year performance bump (10-15%) is going to take "very slow" to pleasingly fast. Either the configuration you have is inadequate to your needs, or there's something wrong with your current machine that ought to be fixed.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
What would you suggest I do?

Don't upgrade until you've had a jolly good troubleshoot. The 2015 model will only be marginally faster than a correctly working 2014 model.

NB: That doesn't mean install any of those iffy 'mac cleaner' applications you see in the pop-up ads. In fact, if you've got one of those it might be part of the problem...

One obvious thing to try before doing a clean OS X install (as suggested above) - is the hard drive full? You want at least 10% free space or things could slow down.

(NB: I don't know the following applies to Apple's SSDs - this is clearly for Crucial drives - but it won't do any harm: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/ssd@tkb/article-id/84)

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
that is weird. I had a mid 2011 iMac base model (2.5GHZ quad core) up until a month ago that i used everyday as my main computer. It isn't too shabby. So something else is going on. I would do a reformat. If the problem still remains, make an appointment with Apple to see if something is failing.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Is it slow in specific tasks or just generally? If it's the latter, you might want to try clean installing OS X.
I generally have the following open at all times (I use others, but not 24/7):
  • Mail
  • Photos
  • Safari (yes, safari not chrome)
  • Pages
  • CyberDuck

So, I guess specific tasks, but it is just overall very slow (maybe I am just picky)? Not sure what is considered "fast" for Mac. If I reinstall a clean OS X, will I lost all my data (I have time machine backup).
I can't imagine how the typical year-to-year performance bump (10-15%) is going to take "very slow" to pleasingly fast. Either the configuration you have is inadequate to your needs, or there's something wrong with your current machine that ought to be fixed.
Hmm, okay. I guess I will wait for this model to get a three-year performance bump (unless this is fixed a different way).

Don't upgrade until you've had a jolly good troubleshoot. The 2015 model will only be marginally faster than a correctly working 2014 model.

NB: That doesn't mean install any of those iffy 'mac cleaner' applications you see in the pop-up ads. In fact, if you've got one of those it might be part of the problem...

One obvious thing to try before doing a clean OS X install (as suggested above) - is the hard drive full? You want at least 10% free space or things could slow down.

(NB: I don't know the following applies to Apple's SSDs - this is clearly for Crucial drives - but it won't do any harm: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/ssd@tkb/article-id/84)
Thank you! I have made the mistake of getting one of those cleaners. I have a $6 cleaner from App Store (can't be that iffy, can it?). If I reinstall a clean OS X, will I lost all my data (I have time machine backup).

that is weird. I had a mid 2011 iMac base model (2.5GHZ quad core) up until a month ago that i used everyday as my main computer. It isn't too shabby. So something else is going on. I would do a reformat. If the problem still remains, make an appointment with Apple to see if something is failing.
Thank you. I am going to reinstall, and if that doesn't work I will be going to Apple for a pricey visit.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I'm running the late 2013 version of the same computer, but still running Yosemite. It is fine now, but you have made me worried about updating (I haven't updated yet because I am running a particular version of a piece of software for a project). But a late 2013 should be fine with the latest software, never mind mid 2014.

You are running Beta software. That can have issues. And look for other potential problems. It is unlikely to be the hardware performance. You do not need to update for performance unless you are doing something really cutting edge.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
I'm running the late 2013 version of the same computer, but still running Yosemite. It is fine now, but you have made me worried about updating (I haven't updated yet because I am running a particular version of a piece of software for a project). But a late 2013 should be fine with the latest software, never mind mid 2014.

You are running Beta software. That can have issues. And look for other potential problems. It is unlikely to be the hardware performance. You do not need to update for performance unless you are doing something really cutting edge.
Yes, I upgraded to the beta already experiencing this issue. I decided that things could hardly get any worse, and I was correct, it hasn't. Part of me things I am just being picky, but I am going to be doing a reinstall soon.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I agree with may of the other posts - that should be a pretty fast computer - i7 processor and 16g memory - that only leaves the hard drive - do you have enough space? close to full? or is it for some reason a regular hard drive and not a SSD?

That would have a huge impact on the speed of the Macbook.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
I agree with may of the other posts - that should be a pretty fast computer - i7 processor and 16g memory - that only leaves the hard drive - do you have enough space? close to full? or is it for some reason a regular hard drive and not a SSD?
I have 500GB storage, and I am using up about half of it. I also believe it is an SSD. I have not made any modifications to it.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
It is slow because you are running an early-ish beta version of an OS. Apple hasn't worked out all the performance issues yet. Install El Capitan and you'll be just fine until Sierra GM is released in the fall. I'm running 2 2013 MBPs with El Cap and they are plenty fast.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
It is slow because you are running an early-ish beta version of an OS. Apple hasn't worked out all the performance issues yet. Install El Capitan and you'll be just fine until Sierra GM is released in the fall. I'm running 2 2013 MBPs with El Cap and they are plenty fast.
I am positive this is contributing to it, but I had these issues before also. I upgraded because I figured that I have nothing to lose. My computer overheats and turns on that loud fan streaming a youtube video!

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Sounds like a hardware failure. Do a hardware test to see if you have a problem. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

That might be ...

I don't think it is the OS - I have been running sierra from the first beta and it runs great - just as fast as ElCapitan, and on an older less powerful macbook than yours. You should really make sure you are positive about the HD - check "about this mac" < storage - should say solid state drive?

Maybe re-seat the memory ? or the hardware test might point something else out?

Last edited:

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
That might be ...

I don't think it is the OS - I have been running sierra from the first beta and it runs great - just as fast as ElCapitan, and on an older less powerful macbook than yours. You should really make sure you are positive about the HD - check "about this mac" < storage - should say solid state drive?

Maybe re-seat the memory ? or the hardware test might point something else out?
On mine, it says "Flash Storage". Is this bad? I got it directly from Apple.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Flash Storage is pretty much the same thing as SSD - so that is probably not the issue assuming you have plenty of room on the drive for more files and data.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Flash Storage is pretty much the same thing as SSD - so that is probably not the issue assuming you have plenty of room on the drive for more files and data.
What factor decides if Apple ships me Flash Storage or SSD?

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I am positive this is contributing to it, but I had these issues before also. I upgraded because I figured that I have nothing to lose. My computer overheats and turns on that loud fan streaming a youtube video!
How much hard space do you have left? Maybe using 50 percent of your hard drive might contribute that.

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
What factor decides if Apple ships me Flash Storage or SSD?
Flash Storage = SSD

As others have said, it sounds like a hardware or software problem. I have a way less powerful and older MBP than yours and mine is silent as the grave when using for example YouTube. So try the hardware test suggested earlier on and reply here with what it says. Then we can help you from there.

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
I generally have the following open at all times (I use others, but not 24/7):
  • Mail
  • Photos
  • Safari (yes, safari not chrome)
  • Pages
  • CyberDuck

None of those applications is processor intensive. Having all of those applications open do suck up RAM (Photos uses a lot of RAM). There are three easy solutions to your speed problem. Upgrade to a larger amount of RAM on your machine. Reformat your HD and install fresh Operating System and applications. Third solution is to not install a beta version of an OS.

The machine you have is not old and has many more years of use left in it and replacing it at this time is wasteful.

Save your money, its not a crime.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
You clearly have no real understanding of what you are about with computers, take it into Apple or a Apple certified repair shop and get it diagnosed.

Saying it's slow, is no use to us in diagnosing why it's slow, that is a very fast machine by any measure of computers and should be a joy to use. Your use case is very light for that machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.