Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleOwl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Hey guys, so I have a black leather smart cover (+ switcheasy coverbuddy) and I really like that it keeps the ipad in its slim form factor. I am a little hesitant to use the smart cover in the long term as I have heard others saying that it eventually scratches the side of the ipad where the smart cover attaches. Have others had any experiences of this? Should I just go back to using the switcheasy canvas instead?

applerocks123

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
seattle
my smart cover

I've had a smart cover for 2 months or so, and on the side of my ipad where the magnets are there are some scratches and on the back there are scratches and my smart cover got dirty really fast... I recommend going back to your other case.

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
Hey guys, so I have a black leather smart cover (+ switcheasy coverbuddy) and I really like that it keeps the ipad in its slim form factor. I am a little hesitant to use the smart cover in the long term as I have heard others saying that it eventually scratches the side of the ipad where the smart cover attaches. Have others had any experiences of this? Should I just go back to using the switcheasy canvas instead?

Hmm, very tough question. I love both the Smart Cover, the Canvas, and the CoverBuddy. From what I have tried (had my iPad 2 for about a month) the Smart Cover doesn't scratch the side at all and I take it off about 10 times a day. Then again, I love the looks and functionality of the Canvas. It all depends on your preferences.

Legion93

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Death Star, Rishi Maze
The smart cover does not "scratch" the device, if any marks do appear it is purely based on how you use it. If you keep on opening and closing the cover in a very dramatic way, it is likely to trigger movement with the same cover in contact with the iPad's side. I've been using my smart cover since day 1 and so far there are no scratches whatsoever, however there are small dirt marks, these are almost invisible and get wiped off very easily by a damp cloth.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Any "thin skin" on the back makes this a non event - I use a CF skin and no marks whatsoever, and still excellent magnetic action....

lucyna

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
My smart cover has back cover, so it is not very easy to get scratch, I have used it for one month, it is still like a new one. I've heard that there is a new smart cover called spider smart cover for ipad 2, I'm going to try it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.