Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Okay, this is my situation.

I have Panther installed on a Mac Mini right now. Using the 'Up-to-date' program at Apple, Tiger is now being shipped to me. It will take (according to them) about 2 weeks to get here, around that.

Should I wait for it to get here, then do a clean install? Or continue using my Panther, then upgrade?

Also, I should let you know, I got my Mini yesterday. So I don't have much on it right now.

What I really want to know is, how difficult the upgrading process would be. For instance, upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows XP is a huge pain in the ass. Is it the same situation with Mac OS X?

Thanks! :)

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
It's easier to upgrade than do a clean install, but half of people's problems on this forum come from upgrading. I did a clean install myself and would recommend that anyone else do one.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Keep using Panther. When Tiger arrives, clone your system to an external drive using SuperDuper (just in case - or at least your user folder) and do an Archive & Install checking the box that offers to move your user settings/apps. With a new system, you're not going to have cluttered things up too much.

This will effectively give you a clean System install and then copy over the apps/user files that you'd otherwise have to copy over yourself. Took about 45 minutes total on my Powerbook and no problems here. Wait a week or so and then delete the Previous System folder. If you experience any problems, you can always do a clean install later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.