Should I wait until I get Tiger first?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Gary King, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

Okay, this is my situation.

I have Panther installed on a Mac Mini right now. Using the 'Up-to-date' program at Apple, Tiger is now being shipped to me. It will take (according to them) about 2 weeks to get here, around that.

Should I wait for it to get here, then do a clean install? Or continue using my Panther, then upgrade?

Also, I should let you know, I got my Mini yesterday. So I don't have much on it right now.

What I really want to know is, how difficult the upgrading process would be. For instance, upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows XP is a huge pain in the ass. Is it the same situation with Mac OS X?

Thanks! :)

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

It's easier to upgrade than do a clean install, but half of people's problems on this forum come from upgrading. I did a clean install myself and would recommend that anyone else do one.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Keep using Panther. When Tiger arrives, clone your system to an external drive using SuperDuper (just in case - or at least your user folder) and do an Archive & Install checking the box that offers to move your user settings/apps. With a new system, you're not going to have cluttered things up too much.

This will effectively give you a clean System install and then copy over the apps/user files that you'd otherwise have to copy over yourself. Took about 45 minutes total on my Powerbook and no problems here. Wait a week or so and then delete the Previous System folder. If you experience any problems, you can always do a clean install later.