Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

casey37812

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Canton, OH
Hi, i have a powerbookg4 titanium with a 550mhz processor.

i wanna go to best buy and upgrade my hard drive from 10gb to 160gb.
i also am going to order 1gb of ram off ebay. im running 512mb at the moment.

from my last post i learned that i will never be able to play halo or anything on here.

but if i do upgrade my ram and HD will i be able to download a good amount a music without slowing the computer down. and will i be able to download ilife04 off of piratebay and run garageband pretty fast?

I was also wondering if anyone knew if i could run logic express 8 on here if i downloaded it off piratebay. i just dont wanna waste my time downloading it and it not work or run slow.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I'm using a last gen 12" powerbook with max ram and hard drive, and I find it to be quite capable of doing everyday consumer stuff.

Geez, how much will it cost to do the upgrade? How much ram will it take?

And can you put in the hard drive yourself? I don't care what some people on the boards will say, trying to put a new drive in my 12 incher was a complete and total PITA. My forty year old eyes and fingers were NOT up to the task.

If it's more than a couple of hundred dollars, I'd say to start saving up for a good macbook or late gen g4 ibook or powerbook instead. If it's not, it should serve to help you steal music. As for how well it will handle the ilife suite you intend to steal, I'm not sure.

casey37812

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Canton, OH
im only gonna spend 70 on the hard drive and 40 to have it put in.
i can only max the ram to 1gb and i know how to put that in.
im getting the 2 sticks of 512mb for 50 dollars.

casey37812

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Canton, OH
i have all my applications on my external hard drive but i dont have any software disks. i know how to get the hard drive out i just dont know how to get the software onto the new one.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
im only gonna spend 70 on the hard drive and 40 to have it put in.
i can only max the ram to 1gb and i know how to put that in.
im getting the 2 sticks of 512mb for 50 dollars.

Why ebay? You could have bought the same RAM with a lifetime warranty for $28.99 each from OWC.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
well the ones on ebay are a lifetime warranty too and they are cheaper.

Ok then as long as the seller is reliable, they are guaranteed to work with your Powerbook, and if anything goes wrong with them you can return them at no cost to you.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I'm usually an advocate for older technology...but even I think 550 MHz is really pushing it when it comes to a main machine. It can be done, but not with the kind of things the OP wants it to do.

To the OP: Get a 1 GHz machine, or at the very least, an 867 MHz machine. Your current PB can be upgraded and become faster, but I don't think you'll really be happy with the speed.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
When the situation presents itself, you may want to consider upgrading to a newer laptop. My older rigs were and still are work horses. I still use them quite a bit. However, when the timing was right, I got a new laptop.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
id say if a simple polycarb macbook will smoke your powerbook, then its prob not worth doing. Especially since a hundred or so more could get u a PB over a 1gb processor

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
I wouldn't upgrade it...

For the price of $50+$40+$50=$160 to upgrade this old machine, he could get an iPod Touch and be able watch Youtube videos, check e-mails, surf the web and much more.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
The OP wants to steal software and music. Do you think he'll really want to shell out for a new computer?

I agree that a new computer is probably the best choice.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
The OP wants to steal software and music. Do you think he'll really want to shell out for a new computer?

I agree that a new computer is probably the best choice.

Lol, noted that myself. Surprised nobody else has mentioned it?

Edit: apologies, Clyde also mentioned it (as did you farthestar, but I got that bit :) )

OP - buy a new comp, and don't steal ****?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.