Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should we expect Apple to announce the refresh for 12.9" next month?

• They're gonna announce it this October and release it soon

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Maybe not this year

Votes: 86 78.2%

• Total voters

rhyzome

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
I don't think it's that unlikely. It wouldn't really be bezel-less either. Based on some official dimensions I got from Apple along with some math, I did a quick mock-up of what a 10.5" display would look like. It's not 100% accurate (the screen "active area is larger than my calculations for a 9.7" diagonal at a 4:3 ratio), but you can see that all you need to do is rearrange the camera and maybe remove the home button (which is supposed to happen with the iPhone 8), and you can easily fit the current form factor.

That's my dream machine (10.5 screen in 9.7 body)...I hope Apple surprises everyone and does it later this month or in March rather than _after_ the iPhone 8. But somehow I think I'm destined to be disappointed...

NoWayBehind

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Rheinland Pfalz Germany
I think the newly leaked Apple A10x benchmark is interesting. Would it really leak already if the iPad gets updated in March? Would be the earliest benchmark leak I have seen in the last few years. At least as far as I think benchmarks are a better indicator for a product to be released rather soon.

I first thought March, but if the leak is legit, I think later this month is really not that unlikely anymore. Especially considering that the A10x and its production process was one of the reasons October was unlikely

Last edited:

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I don't see why the iPad needs smaller bezels. Holding it is going to obscure some of the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.