Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kano84

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2017
iphone 11 here. its going to make 3 years this october 22.
started the first year and half with wireless charging 5w (slow, I choose it on purpose). Yet the battery tanked from 100% to 82% on that year and half. And yes when charging it was hot to the touch. I know the coil is the thing that gets hot, but that heat
is transfered to the entire phone, battery included. therefore the rest of the time i have been charging with cable, and it has stayed 82% for anothe year and half almost.

conclusion: for my new iphone 13pm im going to stick with cable.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Quite honestly I’ve been charging my phone through inductive charging and not once had any battery health issues on mine. Throughout the time I have my phone I take good care of them and charge to 80%
I've been charging my launch 13PM wirelessly for the most part other than while on CarPlay, and I'm on 97% health. Maybe it's better because I have an iHome with Qi, so it's only like 5-7.5W. I should check my wife's health. She uses it much more where she is always red by the end of the day, and she uses the 15W+ puck to wirelessly charge.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've been charging my launch 13PM wirelessly for the most part other than while on CarPlay, and I'm on 97% health. Maybe it's better because I have an iHome with Qi, so it's only like 5-7.5W. I should check my wife's health. She uses it much more where she is always red by the end of the day, and she uses the 15W+ puck to wirelessly charge.
Would definitely be interested into seeing the health of that phone.

My wife used the MagSafe charger with the 20w adapter on her 12 Pro Max and she was dropping fast below 92% health before trading that in for a 13 PM. One of the first times she used the MagSafe on her 13PM it was so hot the phone could barely be held. She decided that she wouldn't touch the MagSafe again. I don't wireless charge either and our health is again similar.

Hardly scientific but her health has basically matched mine (we always get the same phones at the same time) except for the 12 Pro Max.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
An assistant at an Apple Store once mentioned to me that iPhones will charge slower in low power mode? I remember founding it strange at the time, but never actually followed up on that. Does anybody know if it’s true?
Interesting. Guess if I remember I will have to fire up Ampere tonight.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Would definitely be interested into seeing the health of that phone.

My wife used the MagSafe charger with the 20w adapter on her 12 Pro Max and she was dropping fast below 92% health before trading that in for a 13 PM. One of the first times she used the MagSafe on her 13PM it was so hot the phone could barely be held. She decided that she wouldn't touch the MagSafe again. I don't wireless charge either and our health is again similar.

Hardly scientific but her health has basically matched mine (we always get the same phones at the same time) except for the 12 Pro Max.
I'll check tonight if I remember. She also has the battery health drainer of being in the red.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
This always cracks me up....people so scared of Battery degrading that they artificially degrade it themselves by using only 80% if its capacity.

A battery with 90% health charged at 100% will last longer than a well preserved battery at 100%, if charged only to 80%. What's the point of preserving it since you're not even using to its fullest? Gadgets are meant to be used...
I don't understand the concern either. Don't you think this would have been extensively tested by Apple?

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I don't understand the concern either. Don't you think this would have been extensively tested by Apple?

The batteries degrade with time, so the tips & tricks described here are all attempting to find a way to somewhat slow down this decline. This is more relevant to people who do not upgrade their phones very often (every year or two) and who find it hard to replace the worn-out batteries.

Of course Apple tests everything and tries to remedy it from their end with optimised battery charging. However, this can only help to some degree. The real solution is still swapping the old battery.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012

The batteries degrade with time, so the tips & tricks described here are all attempting to find a way to somewhat slow down this decline. This is more relevant to people who do not upgrade their phones very often (every year or two) and who find it hard to replace the worn-out batteries.

Agreed. I see Mister's point and One More's point - from my observations here and personal experiences - battery chemistries vary so much that you could do everything right and lose 10-15% capacity in a year because of a bad battery or a battery that doesn't have great longevity..... and you could have someone who treats their phone like crap but has a great battery that was way over provisioned from the factory and it is 100% after 2 years of clear abuse.

My personal experience, all my batteries have been exceptional (I've lucked out). My wife had 1 bad battery (6s+) and the 12 Pro Max dropped pretty fast.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Agreed. I see Mister's point and One More's point - from my observations here and personal experiences - battery chemistries vary so much that you could do everything right and lose 10-15% capacity in a year because of a bad battery or a battery that doesn't have great longevity..... and you could have someone who treats their phone like crap but has a great battery that was way over provisioned from the factory and it is 100% after 2 years of clear abuse.

My personal experience, all my batteries have been exceptional (I've lucked out). My wife had 1 bad battery (6s+) and the 12 Pro Max dropped pretty fast.

This - I believe the "battery lottery" plays a much bigger factor than how you treat it.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
This - I believe the "battery lottery" plays a much bigger factor than how you treat it.
Very much agreed. I babied my battery since my iPhone 5 and my wife treated hers much worse, left it in the car, let it go to 0, wireless charged and for all but the 12 pro max her health basically matched mine despite 2x the charge cycles, lol.

Completely agree.

I've definitely relaxed my battery baby'ing and I really enjoy my iPhone more lol.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

They do, but with modern ones it's just not worth my time worrying about it. I've seem similar posts about iPads. I use my 2018 iPad Pro every day. I charge it whenever I want for as long as I want and it is still performing like a champ.

Reactions: arkitect

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
I've got a launch day 13PM that I charge wirelessly with MagSafe + 20W adapter, and coconutbattery is reporting the battery health to be at 103.3%. I typically only charge to 80% anyway in the morning and with my use, rarely ever get below 50%. The battery manufacture date is listed as August 30, 2021. I used to charge my XR with an Anker Qi charger but didn't really pay much attention to the charging habits of that phone nor did I track the battery health.

Edit: To also note, I'm at 137 cycles.

Last edited:

Peternx

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2022
I swear there is a connection here I have the same issue.

iPhone 12 pro max - 2 years in wired only 96% health

iPhone 13 pro max - 2 years in, wireless charging on a belkin charge-it-up which is well ventilated as it's off the ground and I live in a moderate tempature country and room is climate controlled anyway. Wireless charging makes the phone a bit warm but not hot. 85% health!

One factor perhaps is a use a non magsafe case so it barely magnetises? Other than that I don't know.

But using a fan like some have suggested... Hard pass I might as well plugin if I have to add turning on and off a fan to the equation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.