Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
still looks clunky and ugly.

I'm agreeing with you on clunky (42"), but I think the 38s look great on both men and women so far in pics. I'll find out IRL in a few hours.

/SS with Black Sports Band for me
//Silver Aluminum with White Sports Band for her

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Confirm. I turned Bluetooth off on my phone and could still call.

Can you turn off bluetooth and ALSO turn off your router or go outside away from wifi and see if the watch connects to the phone?

I'm wondering if the watch will pair to the phone over a wifi hot spot, or just your home wifi and bluetooth?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
What are you saying? Have you even tried the Sport on? Let me guess, you ordered the SS, right? :)

I have tried on the Sport, Space Grey Sport and Stainless Steel. I liked the link best but unfortunately could not try on both versions of the SS Link. I wear all my watches with a metal band so the Link is the most appealing and I was surprised at how much I liked it. I also like some weight and the SS Link has that. I thought I would like the Milanese but didn't care for it in person. The Leather Loops are nice but I felt like their price point out me off. Not that the Link price point doesn't.

Because of this and my wanting to see how durable they are, and a host of other reasons/factors, I have held off from preordering and do not have one coming to me today or anytime soon. The SS and SG Links definitely have a "want" factor for me. But I have not given in yet. I have actually had two try on appointments and have tried on almost every combination. I would/will probably get a Link and get a Black Sports band as an extra for working out and other times I don't want to wear the Link but would not choose to wear the Sports Band all the time though I will say I was rather impressed by the feel of the Sports Band.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Can you turn off bluetooth and ALSO turn off your router or go outside away from wifi and see if the watch connects to the phone?

I'm wondering if the watch will pair to the phone over a wifi hot spot, or just your home wifi and bluetooth?

I turned off wifi and bluetooth and got this:

Attachments

• IMG_0316.PNG
    IMG_0316.PNG
    84.7 KB · Views: 728

BigMovieGeek

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
Here's a few photos of mine (42mm SS Black Sports Band).

Attachments

• 20150424-DSC_3156.jpg
    20150424-DSC_3156.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,417
  • 20150424-DSC_3152.jpg
    20150424-DSC_3152.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,454
  • 20150424-DSC_3150.jpg
    20150424-DSC_3150.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,588
Reactions: BrodieApple

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
What are you saying? Have you even tried the Sport on? Let me guess, you ordered the SS, right? :)

I think he is trying to say what I have thought... when I see the sport in a picture it looks cheaper but when I see it on it looks much better but the stainless steel looks great in pictures and when worn. I think the SS Space Black Link looks exceptionally nice and I gave in and ordered one but right now I have to wait until July.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: operatorflow

DononyG2

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
KY/CIN
Post all your photos! I wanna see everyone's watch when it arrives. Anything specific you want photos of just let me know.

*Sidenote, it's not bent. The light makes the top look that way in one of the photos lol.`

Gorgeous..

----------

Got my 42; it's AWESOME!

I mean just...STUNNING.

----------

Funny how the SS looks like it is worth $600 and the Sport doesn't look like it is worth $400.

I couldn't agree more..I tried telling my sister this.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Can you still use your Watch for activity and stuff even if you restart it?

I'm pretty sure you can to an extent, but obviously without your phone it can't track distance and stuff because of the lack of GPS. I think you can sync back basic details (calories, heart rate etc) when you get back to your phone.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Funny how the SS looks like it is worth $600 and the Sport doesn't look like it is worth $400.

The sports model with the colored bands look cheap as ever. Definitely the 5c of the watches.

tigercraig

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015
Hong Kong
One thing the reviews are correct about is the learning curve.... Anybody that is slightly technically challenged will have a hard time.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
It's a ridiculously amazing bit of kit. Really pleased with it.

Everyone at my work seems to be impressed with it as well.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
My :apple: SS with black sports band arrived today in Germany. Like it a lot, except the band - waiting for my steel Link band, which is more in style with my mechanical watch. Otherwise cool so far. :)

After looking at the Rolex I figured something: The watch hands are pointy but on every (?) Apple Watch face they are rounded, does that bug you or give you a sense of innacurate time?

DononyG2

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
KY/CIN
There's not a single Apple Watch that looks decent in my opinion. The Sport versions looks really cheap, yet the high end gold models look ridiculous and tacky. There's no middle ground.

Clearly you haven't been to an Apple store to see them, or tried them on? I think the Sport looks a little cheap but the other two are promising for sure.

----------

My :apple: SS with black sports band arrived today in Germany. Like it a lot, except the band - waiting for my steel Link band, which is more in style with my mechanical watch. Otherwise cool so far. :)

Does the band look/feel cheap?

XCALI3UR

Apr 23, 2015
Awesome! Glad to see some people are filled with excitement of getting their watches when apple promised. Although, for us 42 mm SS with SS LINK we will wait another 4-6 weeks ...

Apple sucks monkey balls right now ... Just saying !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.