Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewatch21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
Hi,

When I'm at home, It would be really cool, If I could sit on the couch, choose a music title from my iPhone, and play it via Airplay over my Bose Speakers.
I already tried apps like Airserver or XMirage for my iMac (who is connected to the speakers), but when he is in standby, It doesn't work.
Does anyone has an Idea how I can get this to work. The sound system is standard 3,5mm cable system.

Thanks for your help and thank you for letting me join this awesome forum!

Greetings from EU.

jacobluecke

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
Yep, there's a great way to do this. Get one of the old Airport Express base stations on Ebay, they typically run $20-$40 (the one that looks like a wall charger). These can be set up to connect to your existing WiFi and act solely as a Airplay receiver. They include an audio jack for you to connect your speakers to them.

I did this exact thing over the summer and it works great.

Reactions: thewatch21

thewatch21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
Thank you for your reply! But it seems that the Airport Express needs to be connected to an Wfi Router. Thats a problem, because the Wifi router is located at another floor.

thewatch21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
Thanks. So, I'm gonna buy the Aiport, plug it into a socket and connect my speakers to it. Not need to connect it with a second cable like a ethernet cable.
If it really works like this, Im gonna set this up this week.
Thank you for your support!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.