Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
So you want to shuffle a playlist on you ipod?

Under Settings, select Shuffle - Songs, then select and play your playlist, it will play in random order.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I like to listen to my iPod in my car. HOw do I shuffle only a selected playlist? THere's got to be a way to do it in iTunes

On the iPod you have to go into the settings and turn on shuffling. It will then turn it on for everything; All playlists, albums, any list of songs you listen to. If you want to turn it back off you must go back into the settings again. This is my biggest complaint about the iPod, no easy way to turn on and off the shuffle. I submitted a suggestion to Apple that when you click and hold the button on a playlist or album it would bring up a second window asking if you want to turn Shuffle on or off for that playlist or add the playlist to the on-the-go playlist, as that feature does now. I think this a is a simpler method than what Apple wants you to do now. I must have submitted this idea a couple years ago, so I guess it wasn't a good idea. I personally think it makes sense.

notwist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
New Brunswick, NJ
I only want a certain playlist to be shuffled, not everything on the iPod. This is primarily for listening to my iPod while I'm driving. I guess I can disconnect it from my car adapter, turn shuffling on and then reconnect it, but it would be so much easier if I can just shuffle a single playlist.

I wish the cd player in my car was able to turn on/off the iPod's shuffle feature, but it can't. Sorry if I still sound confusing.

notwist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
New Brunswick, NJ
On the iPod you have to go into the settings and turn on shuffling. It will then turn it on for everything; All playlists, albums, any list of songs you listen to. If you want to turn it back off you must go back into the settings again. This is my biggest complaint about the iPod, no easy way to turn on and off the shuffle. I submitted a suggestion to Apple that when you click and hold the button on a playlist or album it would bring up a second window asking if you want to turn Shuffle on or off for that playlist or add the playlist to the on-the-go playlist, as that feature does now. I think this a is a simpler method than what Apple wants you to do now. I must have submitted this idea a couple years ago, so I guess it wasn't a good idea. I personally think it makes sense.

That would be so convenient!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.