Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3-22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2002
I know people debate this like religion but if your sick of the mouse acceleration curve in OS X (like me) here is a GREAT utility for just turning it off...

http://www.knockknock.org.uk/mac/

If you love the acceleration curve in OS X then disregard this post...

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I dont really see the point in this utility. I mean if you have a fairly large display, it would take ages to move you mouse from on side of it to another.

I games however I turn off mouse accel.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
It's nice to have the option. I've seen quite a few complains, mostly from new Mac users, about the mouse acceleration on this forum. I for one would like the acceleration and the speed to be independently adjustable.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I honestly don't see what all the hubbub is about. I've used mice in Mac OS Classic, Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, and BeOS and I don't feel any difference between them. They all feel the same :confused:

I am pretty adaptive though... Maybe that's why. I dunno.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I was bored, so I made a GUI version. It won't suit everyone, I think, because with acceleration off the mouse speed is non adjustable and quite fast. As far as I could tell, adjusting the mouse speed in iMouseFix and System Preferences at the same time works in mysterious ways.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
iindigo said:
I honestly don't see what all the hubbub is about. I've used mice in Mac OS Classic, Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, and BeOS and I don't feel any difference between them. They all feel the same :confused:

I am pretty adaptive though... Maybe that's why. I dunno.

You must be AMAZINGLY adaptive, because there's a pretty huge difference, mostly with OS X...the others are fairly similar by default. (Well, don't know about BeOS.) I can't really deal with OS X's default mouse behavior, and nothing in the mouse preference pane helps much, so I had to resort to using USB overdrive.

--Eric

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
The only defference between my Mac's mouse and PCs mice that I ever used is the mouse speed which is slower on my Mac.

Draddy

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
This program is worth raising a dead thread from the graves.... my goodness thank you for writing this simple code.

the logarithmic mouse movement is the only thing I truly loath about OS X.. and this program gets rid of that crap... Thanks!

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
I use the same mouse and keyboard on both OS X and Windows daily at 2560x1600 and the acceleration curve just doesn't seem entirely natural to me on OS X. It might not be so obvious at lower resolutions, but when you are moving the mouse around large areas it seems to be.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Mousefix works poorly in my experience. I get much better results with stuff like SteerMouse or USB Overdrive. By far the best is still (ironically) using a Microsoft mouse and the drivers for it. They have their own mouse acceleration implementation that is very close to what you find in Windows, as in pretty much perfect.

The solution is not to turn it off, but change the way it works.

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
I'll never understand why people have an issue with Mac mouse acceleration :rolleyes:. Even when I was on Windows I didn't have any issue with the Mac acceleration and I prefer it a lot after using it for a few years. It's much smoother.

raygungirl

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
Arizona
I'll never understand why people have an issue with Mac mouse acceleration :rolleyes:. Even when I was on Windows I didn't have any issue with the Mac acceleration and I prefer it a lot after using it for a few years. It's much smoother.

I think I'd prefer whatever I'm used to. After only ever owning a Windows computer, it feels really strange to not be in "control" of my cursor when I play with Macs. It doesn't move where or how I expect because I'm still moving it as if it were a Windows cursor. I plan on weening myself off the Windows acceleration slowly until the OS X acceleration feels normal. :) But until then, I need to be able to get some work done without missing buttons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.