Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
Ive recently inherited a PowerMac G5 dual 1.8
I have tried to sign into iChat on it, but it seems to only take @mac.com email addresses
Is there a way around this to use my @icloud.com address with iChat? or is my MBP 8,1 the messages machine? :)

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
iChat with AIM or .Mac/MobileMe/iCloud accounts no longer work on PowerPC machines, sadly. I believe it was a few years ago now, Apple changed it so iChat requires 10.7 or above to use their service. Regardless, the AIM service is going away this December for everyone...

I really wish there was a way to use iChat again on these old machines, they would be really fun to chat with to this day.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
Ive recently inherited a PowerMac G5 dual 1.8
I have tried to sign into iChat on it, but it seems to only take @mac.com email addresses
Is there a way around this to use my @icloud.com address with iChat? or is my MBP 8,1 the messages machine? :)
Why don'ty you install Tiger or Leopard? I mean it won't solve the iChat issue but you'll have better support...

With Tiger you retain Classic support as well, with Leopard you love classic, but more up to date software can be run, and the G5 should run it like a charm.

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
Why don'ty you install Tiger or Leopard? I mean it won't solve the iChat issue but you'll have better support...

With Tiger you retain Classic support as well, with Leopard you love classic, but more up to date software can be run, and the G5 should run it like a charm.
I have wondered about doing that, but there are a few sticking points.
1. If i were to do that, could I still reinstall Adobe CS? I have the full CS on it, and I don't want to lose it
2. Is there a danger of making it too slow to really do anything?
3. What are the real benefits of updating?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have wondered about doing that, but there are a few sticking points.
1. If i were to do that, could I still reinstall Adobe CS? I have the full CS on it, and I don't want to lose it
2. Is there a danger of making it too slow to really do anything?
3. What are the real benefits of updating?
1. Why do you need to reinstall if you are simply doing an upgrade? Unless you intend to wipe the disk for some reason?
2. I have a G4 at work with less than 400mb ram running Leopard. It's a print server so the MacPro can print. The G4 next to it is an Applescript server that processes photos and transfers files on the network. It's on Tiger with less than 200mb ram. Both G4s perform fine. I used to run Leopard on a TiBook 400 with 1GB ram. No issues.
3. Benefits? Running more modern apps…

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
1. An in-place upgrade will keep all your apps and settings.
2. No.
3. Loads of new features, plus it'll be more useful on the Internet with later version web browsers available.

Okay sounds good. Define in-place upgrade. I have no idea how to do that, even though I am a technician

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Okay sounds good. Define in-place upgrade. I have no idea how to do that, even though I am a technician
Boot Mac.

Insert CD/DVD for new OS, double-click on "Install OS…".

Mac reboots and boots from optical drive. Install app runs…install the newer version.

Reboot. OS is upgraded, apps and data are untouched.

Begin using Software Update to update to latest version (i.e., 10.5 to 10.5.8). Same thing happens only the install occurs while logged in.

When Software Update reports no more updates you're done.

It is advised to repair disk permissions after each update however.

Reactions: z970 and MagicBoy

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Software update does the trick as well?
Sure…for point updates between major versions.

Upgrades, such as from 10.2 to 10.3 to 10.4 to 10.5 and so on require some form of install disk.

It's not like it is now. Apple used to sell OS X so allowing an upgrade via Software Update would defeat selling the OS.

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Slight issue. The drive in the Pmac no longer works. Software update does the trick as well?
You can download the OS X DMGs from macintoshgarden.org, then install them via some hard drive partitioning. (This might not work with Tiger, but it does with Leopard)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.