silly but simple question. . .

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acearchie, Mar 1, 2007.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I know with cars the longer you keep them the worse it falls into repair ie. less BHP etc. I was wondering if with an old mac does the processer get slower and the ram smaller???? Odd I know but I was just wondering!

Also. I was wondering could somebody just give me a basic definition of what a server is? I am just wondering!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This does not apply to Macs, fortunately :D

Server = a computer that provides one or more services (file storage, printing, user management, web hosting, etc.) to other computers that connect to it.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Already answered, but to be more specific, unlike a car, which is a mechanical device, computers (Mac, PC, or even the embedded controller in a car) are electronic--no moving parts.

This means that they basically either work or they don't--if it works, it should work exactly as well as the day it was made.

If you did no maintenance on the SOFTWARE that runs your computer, it may not run as well after a long time--things could get progressively messed up over years of use that cause more crashes or funky problems. But if you reinstalled from scratch on a 10 year old computer it would run just as well as when it was new.

The only possible exception to this is if a component is intermittently failing, which becomes somewhat more likely over time. It could make the computer more likely to crash because of a hardware problem, but again, it's more of a "yes/no" thing. More akin to a car that stalls periodically than lower horsepower.

4. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Thanks alot! I was just thinking it to myself in my free period at school!

5. Bwebb macrumors member

True, they do not get slower or smaller.

BUT.... As new software is developed the demands made of the processor and ram do become greater. Hence, it is not recommended to install OS X on older Mac computers, and it will not run on some older systems (not compatible, or insufficient ram).

This applies to Mac and "windows" (or linux, unix etc) computers.