Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I know with cars the longer you keep them the worse it falls into repair ie. less BHP etc. I was wondering if with an old mac does the processer get slower and the ram smaller???? Odd I know but I was just wondering!

Also. I was wondering could somebody just give me a basic definition of what a server is? I am just wondering!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This does not apply to Macs, fortunately :D

Server = a computer that provides one or more services (file storage, printing, user management, web hosting, etc.) to other computers that connect to it.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I was wondering if with an old mac does the processer get slower and the ram smaller????
Already answered, but to be more specific, unlike a car, which is a mechanical device, computers (Mac, PC, or even the embedded controller in a car) are electronic--no moving parts.

This means that they basically either work or they don't--if it works, it should work exactly as well as the day it was made.

If you did no maintenance on the SOFTWARE that runs your computer, it may not run as well after a long time--things could get progressively messed up over years of use that cause more crashes or funky problems. But if you reinstalled from scratch on a 10 year old computer it would run just as well as when it was new.

The only possible exception to this is if a component is intermittently failing, which becomes somewhat more likely over time. It could make the computer more likely to crash because of a hardware problem, but again, it's more of a "yes/no" thing. More akin to a car that stalls periodically than lower horsepower.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Thanks alot! I was just thinking it to myself in my free period at school!

Bwebb

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2006
New England
I was wondering if with an old mac does the processer get slower and the ram smaller???? Odd I know but I was just wondering!

True, they do not get slower or smaller.

BUT.... As new software is developed the demands made of the processor and ram do become greater. Hence, it is not recommended to install OS X on older Mac computers, and it will not run on some older systems (not compatible, or insufficient ram).

This applies to Mac and "windows" (or linux, unix etc) computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.