Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
I think it's clear that there are different levels of such things, and many words are allowed to be used for all sorts of different topics. This comment was about video games.

There was no "equating" except in your mind. Perhaps you have the problem.

Still not buying this game. Not enough improvement in this news.

And the word was used improperly. There are no different levels to the word "oppression." If you think so, I must ask... Do you have different levels of pregnant too? Different levels of genocide too? Different levels of holocaust? It's clear you have a faulty dictionary and need a serious upgrade.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
And the word was used improperly. There are no different levels to the word "oppression." If you think so, I must ask... Do you have different levels of pregnant too? Different levels of genocide too? Different levels of holocaust? It's clear you have a faulty dictionary and need a serious upgrade.

Last time I checked, oppression is derived from the verb Oppress, which means to dominate or control by unjust use of one's power. A bit like EA have been doing with their anti-consumer DRM policies, non-functional launch and refusal to grant refunds don't you think?

Which Dictionary are you using? I'm failing to see improper use.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
Releasing a patch for something that could have been done from the start, a year after the game launched, when no one is buying it any more, as a cynical attempt to try to create a few more sales is a "huge victory for gamers"?

I'd hate to see what you class as a defeat.

A better choice would be to compare it to "wounded" instead of "pregnant".

Although even pregnant works. When my boss is only a little bit pregnant, I have less work and don't often get sent on snack runs. When she's a lot pregnant, I have to remind myself that killing her husband because HE should be the one doing snack runs would be counter productive! And she also goes from looking normal to appearing to be a basketball smuggler.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

No. No. And no. However, oppression does have them. The most common usage of the word IME refers to hot weather.

Although, you probably shouldn't say that about pregnancy to any mother. There are certainly stages, different levels of caution needed, etc.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
This is a huge victory for gamers everywhere!

Requiring an online connection for games that could be played offline is an unneeded oppression and I'm happy to see EA reverse this foolhardy decision.

Offline play doesn't change the fact that the game is still RUBBISH.

----------

I need this game in my life :)

No you don't. Buy the older versions of the game which are infinitely better.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Oppression?? LOL... you actually use a word that would equate this with Tiananmen Square, the long fight for civil rights, or the torturing of humans, being sold into slavery, and loss of their rights in some foreign nations?

Yes, we Americans sound pretty elitist and entitled, don't we? :rolleyes:
Oppression has a much wider degree of meaning than you think. It doesn't JUST mean dictators ruling over enslaved masses.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well, looks like I can finally run it.

I played it when it came out and was so very disappointed with the online requirements. I usually play something like SimCity when there is no Internet connection, but they sort of defeated our ability to enjoy the game at all times.

I'm glad they are moving to offline mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.