Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Jakarta Globe reports that Apple's three carrier partners in Singapore are making plans to offer iPhone 4S models lacking cameras, with the move said to be targeting members of the military who are prohibited from bringing camera-equipped phones onto their bases. Carrier M1 even briefly offered camera-less models on its website earlier this week.

m1_singapore_no_camera_iphone_4s.jpg

"iPhone 4S Non Camera" listing on M1's site (Source: CNET Asia)
The camera-less phones are not, however, an officially-sanctioned product offered by Apple, as the carriers are simply removing the cameras from the standard devices before sale and charging a premium for the service. The modification also voids Apple's warranty on the device.
Following a year-long review, Mindef [the Singapore Defense Ministry] recently issued guidelines to its servicemen on the use of such smartphones.

It is understood that servicemen with these phones must show a certificate to prove that their handsets were modified by any one of the local telcos.

Last September, Mindef spokesman Desmond Tan told The Straits Times that Mindef and the SAF were 'exploring ways to allow our personnel to use smartphones while maintaining our current security policy on disallowing personal image-capturing devices to be used on Mindef/SAF premises'.
Singapore is of course not alone in its restrictions on camera-enabled phones, as many other governments and private companies place restrictions on such devices in sensitive locations. But the effort by Singapore's carriers appears to be the most official and organized attempt to address those needs for iPhone users.

Article Link: Singapore Carriers to Offer Camera-less iPhone 4S Models

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'm guessing they do this with both the front and back cameras? Do they replace the back and front with pieces that don't have holes for the camera? I think that would solve the problem of needing a certificate to verify that the cameras were actually removed. If they can make back plates with the apple logo being transparent to allow it to shine then I don't see why they can't make ones without the holes for the camera.

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I like how they're camera-less iPhone has instagram as one of the apps in notification center

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I also like how M1's photo shows an iPhone with a forward-facing camera. :rolleyes:

that's not the camera, its the camera window. you'd need a completely redesigned case if you want to remove those.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Plenty of corporate and government institutions around the world have a no camera policy. Apple in the UK sell iMacs and MacBook Pro computers that have no cameras or mics.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I'm guessing they do this with both the front and back cameras? Do they replace the back and front with pieces that don't have holes for the camera? I think that would solve the problem of needing a certificate to verify that the cameras were actually removed. If they can make back plates with the apple logo being transparent to allow it to shine then I don't see why they can't make ones without the holes for the camera.
The front and back plates are glass; the openings for the camera lens are just sections that haven't been painted over black or white. You just paint over them or maybe just affix electricians tape.

i wonder how much they get for selling those cameras on ebay...
The iSuppli BOM estimate for the iPhone 4S lists the estimated cost at $17.60 for the camera module.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
US Federal buildings too...

US Federal buildings often prohibit cameras as well. A friend of mines dad is a federal prosecutor and every time I enter his building I get hosed down of anything with a camera....
Blackberry has long been selling models of their phone with both a camera option and a no camera option for that reason. I don't see why Apple can't offer that option...I mean its not their style but its relatively easy to do. Back camera is an easy fix; change the backplate and the front camera might be a bit more difficult but still do-able and just sell it with an OS that doesn't have the camera app....

delnerdo

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
Apple displays all have cameras now

AFAIK Apple displays all have built-in cameras now and you apparently cannot simply disconnect the cable. I would think Apple should make a no-camera option for their displays too, no? How hard can it be?

candid7

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2012
not the camera

hi everyone am new who would like to dive me a tour bcos i don't know wat am doing and thats not a camera bcos it doesnt have a camera app and i haven seen it before

----------

hi teo
:eek::)

----------

hi 3bs am new would u like to teach me how to use the macrumors

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
My work has a cameraless policy too wish they would make more phones without cameras as I don't use it anyway and it would drive the price down a bit.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
So... what if someone buys a camera-less device, gets a certificate proving that their device lacks a camera, and then puts cameras back into the device...?

Hmm?

edit: this case would only be likely if the carrier leaves the holes for both cameras intact.

Also, does this remove the camera's flash as well?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Do they? Never seen/heard that...I'm assuming its to-order only as the stores and site dont show any option to not have a camera/mic.

It is easier to do on computers as the camera and mic location is pretty easy and all they have to do is not drill out a hole for them for the front plat as well. not so much for the phones and phones are much more mass production than a computer is.

US Federal buildings often prohibit cameras as well. A friend of mines dad is a federal prosecutor and every time I enter his building I get hosed down of anything with a camera....
Blackberry has long been selling models of their phone with both a camera option and a no camera option for that reason. I don't see why Apple can't offer that option...I mean its not their style but its relatively easy to do. Back camera is an easy fix; change the backplate and the front camera might be a bit more difficult but still do-able and just sell it with an OS that doesn't have the camera app....

The only company that is big on it is blackberry but their bread and butter is enterprise and security so they take care of that market before they even touch the consumer market.
I want to say some MS power phones do it as well but they general are custom orders from different manufactures. I just do not see Apple bothering to do it as it is would not be a large enough money maker.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Why make it difficult by removing both camera's while you can do it much easier.

Options:
They could for instance ask Apple to remove the drivers (APi's) for the camera.

Damage the lens with an abrasive solution, yes that is possible.

Use a reasonable low powered laser to damage the sensor chip inside the camera, I am not an expert on this but think a 300 Mw laser would do the trick.

Use a small drill to damage the camera but this one is a bit brutal.

The best of the above options would probably the laser one, I don't own an iPhone but I think the front camera is not accessible so can't be done with the other above options.

Edit : I had the Mw wrong, of course its (300) mW

Last edited:

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
Why make it difficult by removing both camera's while you can do it much easier.

Options:
They could for instance ask Apple to remove the drivers (APi's) for the camera.

Damage the lens with an abrasive solution, yes that is possible.

Use a reasonable low powered laser to damage the sensor chip inside the camera, I am not an expert on this but think a 300 Mw laser would do the trick.

Use a small drill to damage the camera but this one is a bit brutal.

The best of the above options would probably the laser one, I don't own an iPhone but I think the front camera is not accessible so can't be done with the other above options.

A 300MW laser would instantly melt the whole phone...if they made them haha

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Thanks for pointing Me out the mistake HaHa;)

Edited My post (300 mW)

Yup 300MWatts would not only instantly melt the Phone but also blow the whole Building:eek:

People make mistakes, one common mistake is Gb versus GB for instance.

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
Thanks for pointing Me out the mistake HaHa;)

Edited My post (300 mW)

Yup 300MWatts would not only instantly melt the Phone but also blow the whole Building:eek:

People make mistakes, one common mistake is Gb versus GB for instance.

I just found the idea of a 300MW laser quite funny...no hard feelings!

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
20-50 MW would destroy the optical sensor without trashing the glass...

Imagine Sweatshops with iFixit tool kits dismantling iPhones and prying out CMOS cameras... do they realize it's a closed circuit... :D

Should be fun to watch... I wonder if the Slingapore Apple shop will accept exchanges :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.