Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
I noticed that the Scripps Networks apps (HGTV, DIY, Food Network, Cooking Channel, and Travel Channel) under "Recently Updated" had a note saying they were updated to be compatible with tvOS 10. So I authenticated the HGTV app with my Vue credentials. I then went to authenticate DIY and got this:

i82fAS9.png

It works as you expect.

Reactions: ewkp

ECJ

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2006
Memphis, TN
I have Playstation Vue also, and received the same option. Unfortunately after that it prompted me to sign in.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I noticed that the Scripps Networks apps (HGTV, DIY, Food Network, Cooking Channel, and Travel Channel) under "Recently Updated" had a note saying they were updated to be compatible with tvOS 10. So I authenticated the HGTV app with my Vue credentials. I then went to authenticate DIY and got this:

i82fAS9.png

It works as you expect.

i cant get that screen to pop up for me

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Well where in settings for the appletv do you go to input your sign in credentials?

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
oooooo... hopefully this is in 10.1 and they held it off to give the programmers time to update their apps for tvOS 10.

winstars

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2015
All I know is that I stalled buying two APV 4's for my boss as long as I could. Until yesterday.
Yesterday I spent the better part of 3 hours setting them up. Unfortunately for me, the cable company he has (Optimum) wouldn't send a cookie to my computer like my company (DISH) does so I had to enter the user name and password for EVERY TV type app I activated, for two ATV 4's...

With my luck, SSO will be released later today...

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
All I know is that I stalled buying two APV 4's for my boss as long as I could. Until yesterday.
Yesterday I spent the better part of 3 hours setting them up. Unfortunately for me, the cable company he has (Optimum) wouldn't send a cookie to my computer like my company (DISH) does so I had to enter the user name and password for EVERY TV type app I activated, for two ATV 4's...

With my luck, SSO will be released later today...

I gave up a while ago trying to keep signed into each app on each of my 3 AppleTVs. They timeout at seemingly random times anyhow and require re-entry way way way too often. So now I just open an app and hope I don't need to authenticate.

SSO is so overdue, not just on AppleTV, but on all streaming players. IMO, it is the most frustrating part of using these devices and trying to explain how to use to people unfamiliar with the authentication processes. I completely gave up on trying to help my mother-in-law and parents. Heck, they didn't even know that they HAD accounts with their cable providers!

Reactions: ohio.emt

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Thank goodness for Siri dictation and the remote app for entering passwords. Sso is as you say very overdo at this point.

winstars

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2015
I gave up a while ago trying to keep signed into each app on each of my 3 AppleTVs. They timeout at seemingly random times anyhow and require re-entry way way way too often. So now I just open an app and hope I don't need to authenticate.

SSO is so overdue, not just on AppleTV, but on all streaming players. IMO, it is the most frustrating part of using these devices and trying to explain how to use to people unfamiliar with the authentication processes. I completely gave up on trying to help my mother-in-law and parents. Heck, they didn't even know that they HAD accounts with their cable providers!

When doing my sisters ATV 3 a few years ago, she said "that can't be the only way you do it"

Unfortunately I had to say yes.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
Thank goodness for Siri dictation and the remote app for entering passwords. Sso is as you say very overdo at this point.
Not really helpful, at least for the apps I've used. Most of them require going to a website with your computer or phone.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Not really helpful, at least for the apps I've used. Most of them require going to a website with your computer or phone.

Yeah those are annoying but at least I only have to type in the web address and the code. I'm surprised they haven't dont a at code to just scan that prompts for your credentials instead of making you type a web address and activation code.

chrisadams

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2015
I didn't notice if i got a prompt or not but somehow when I looked down to my iPhone to go to the cooking channel activation page when I looked up to get the access code it logged itself in so maybe it used the credentials from the other active Scripps apps? Never saw another prompt or anything.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I saw the original screen last night for multiple of the Watch Pages. But after Allow I had to do the old login style. But did not go further. Regarding the prior post, in the past if you login to 1 of the Apps serviced my the same company then it satisfied the others. That could be what happened.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I had this work even before iOS10. It already (sometimes) works between apps from the same media company. I can't remember if it was the Disney (ABC, ESPN, etc) apps or one of the other groups, but once I logged into one, they all seemed to work. It's not the true single sign on that's still coming, but somehow multiple apps from the same provider can access the logon credentials from the other ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.