Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
Are there a lot of sirens where you live? I just heard like 5 sirens coming from 5 different directions. The Police car sirens make a higher pitched, smoother sound than the ambulances. And of course the fire engines will be tooting their air horns whilst having their sirens going. On some nights, I hear so many sirens, you'd think someone was getting murdered or something. :confused:

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
There's an old lady in our neighborhood that has a fire scare at least once every 3 weeks, so I hear a lot of sirens.
I'm down the way from a bad neighborhood, so I hear cop cars going by, too.

I'm not close enough to the water to hear any other sirens, though. I'd love to hear their sweet song.

ezzie

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2006
Baltimore, MD
you think you've got it bad...my house is right across the street from the volunteer fire *and* ambulance company...

at least at night they wait until they round the corner to start wailing their sirens...

which would be great if my house wasn't on the corner. :rolleyes:

ejb190

macrumors 65816
My subdivision is across from the hospital. I am a few streets in, but we can still hear them out on the main road. I just say a silent prayer for them and their patient every time I hear an ambulance head out and feel blessed that we have folks like them willing to take care of people like me...

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Not too often that I notice. It's a pretty safe neighbourhood.

Hmm... the only siren I know of is my girlfriend. And the Apple store has tons of sirens that seduce me everyday.
roomofthosewhocare.jpg

ezzie

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Ha ha, lol, I live out in the country and there's not a single siren :p

it's funny...i grew up in the sticks and never heard a single siren go by my house. never really heard cars driving by since our lane was so long and we were so far from the road. never thought twice about going out and sunbathing in front of the house. :)

i don't live in the city now, really....just "in town". my house is right on the corner of the main drag and a street that leads to an apartment complex, so on top of the sirens there's the constant drone of cars driving by. i'm used to it now...i find it sort of comforting.

i definitely don't plan on sunbathing in the front yard anytime soon, however. ;)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
two blocks or so from a Fire Department. i don't even really notice 'em anymore, unless they come down my street for whatever reason. living in the city has kinda made it all background to me for the most part.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
My bedroom overlooks the exit road for ambulances leaving one of London's main hospitals. We also have a fire station round the corner and thanks to the one-way system they have to go past the front of our building every time they need to go north. Same with the police.

So I guess you could say yeah, there's a few.

ezzie

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Why not? I doubt the neighbors will mind... :p ;) :D

i live around lots of older people. however, they're mostly older men. they still probably wouldn't mind. ewwww, anyway. :)

i was out cleaning out my car in the driveway monday night and one out of every 10 cars that turned the corner honked. :eek: it kind of weirded me out a bit.

back on topic, though...i really thought that the main reason i'd hate living by the fire & rescue company would be the noise...little did i know i'd be most affected by the way i stop whatever i'm doing and hope whoever they're rushing off to help will be alright. :(

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Several times a day. Not suprising since we live close to a large hospital.
It is also one of the four hospital in the country with a emergency helicopter
service. The kids love it.

And let's not forget the monthly test of the 'air attack' alarm.
If someone ever plans to invade the NL (again), he'd better do it on
the first monday of the month, at noon.

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
I live in a commercial area on a corner where 5 streets meet. It gets anoying but sirens arent as bad as car alarms. I want to take a brick to their window every time one goes off at 4am. Everyone with a car alarm needs to get their car broken into. You are very rude and selfish people. I leave my car unlocked anyway. That is what insurance is for.

A couple of weeks ago, both mine and my neighbors car got broken into. They just opened my door, saw my stereo is crap. They took my cd visor but dropped it on the sidewalk after they saw it was all burns! Nothing was stolen from me. But my neigbor had her window broken out, stereo stolen all while her car alarm was going off. Those things are soo useful.

Sorry for the rant, but the only loud annoying noise I tolerate is my alarm clock.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
i live around lots of older people. however, they're mostly older men. they still probably wouldn't mind. ewwww, anyway. :)

You are right, they probably would not mind (which is indeed scary). :eek:

i was out cleaning out my car in the driveway monday night and one out of every 10 cars that turned the corner honked. :eek: it kind of weirded me out a bit.

Dang, I would take that as one heck of a compliment. :D ;) :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.