Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently confirmed that Siri is coming to Apple Music on the new Apple TV at the beginning of next year, but iDownloadBlog has discovered the virtual assistant can now be used for certain music-related commands on the latest tvOS 9.1 beta ahead of time.

Jeff Benjamin shared a video demo of Siri being used to search for songs, albums, artists and playlists on Apple Music from the Home screen on the new Apple TV, without needing to open the Apple Music app. Siri can also be used to play and pause Beats 1 radio.

MacRumors was able to replicate this functionality on the new Apple TV running tvOS 9.1 beta in the United States, but Siri did not always handle requests properly. Siri was also unable to complete music-related commands on tvOS 9.0 in our testing.

Apple will likely continue testing limited Siri support for Apple Music before making the feature publicly available in 2016, so the functionality may be spotty or unavailable entirely for some users.

Article Link: New Apple TV Gains Limited Siri Support for Apple Music on tvOS 9.1 Beta

Reactions: appledefenceforce

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Why did they ship and unfinished product? Very unapple
To be fair, ship then fix, seems to be the standard operating procedure for a lot of companies these days. They do it because they can. We allow it and make excuses for it when it happens. Apple is no better or worse than any other vendor doing the exact same thing. That's why most of my purchases are at least a month or three after a product debuts.

mcfly88

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Really hoping 9.1 brings a lot more functionality to Siri.. pretty limited at the moment.

jim.arrows

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
To be fair, ship then fix, seems to be the standard operating procedure for a lot of companies these days. They do it because they can. We allow it and make excuses for it when it happens. Apple is no better or worse than any other vendor doing the exact same thing. That's why most of my purchases are at least a month or three after a product debuts.

That's the sad thing, Apple actually was different at one time...

kyleh22

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Apple TV4 is a step backwards. Seriously Apple - It took you years to come up with this?
No one wants to talk to the remote. People watch TV so they don't have to talk to anyone (or anything).
The white interface is basically blinding. There's a reason why the billions of TV OSs created before it used white text on a dark background.
The Netflix app is basically unusable. I don't know how Netflix signs people up with that horrible interface.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

And to be really fair...

This product rocks, and is worth the update without the Siri music commands. It's been a boon to the television enjoyment of my family and me in the week+ that we've had it, and App releases and functionality updates make it better almost every day. I am extremely happy that they didn't wait until it was perfect before releasing it.

Instead of focusing on the "negative" that I can't yet give Siri commands for my music on any screen, I choose to focus on the positive fact that I am not having to wait an additional 2+ months to have Apple Music available on my Apple TV.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I know the ATV4 and TV OS has only been out for a few weeks, but I am a little disappointed with my ATV4 experience so far.

I was really excited about the new ATV since my family uses our ATVs a lot. But I really do not like the remote. I though using the remote learning feature, like the one in the older ATV, would be great since I could use my TV remote instead of the new one, but the buttons do not work like they did on the ATV3.

I hate that you cannot search for stuff saved in your computer's iTunes, I thought with universal search this would be included.

I know a lot of people did not like the old UI for Netflix, but the new one sucks imo. It looks nice, but the usability of it needs tweaking. They no longer have the airdates of TV show, whats with that?

I know it is early, so things might improve, but I think that the UI is not very user friendly. My baby boomer parents use an ATV3 I gave them and they love it. I think if I would buy them an ATV4, they would not use it due to the UI changes.

meegwell

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2014
Apple TV4 is a step backwards. Seriously Apple - It took you years to come up with this?
No one wants to talk to the remote. People watch TV so they don't have to talk to anyone (or anything).
The white interface is basically blinding. There's a reason why the billions of TV OSs created before it used white text on a dark background.
The Netflix app is basically unusable. I don't know how Netflix signs people up with that horrible interface.

"no one" ? I dont mind using siri to find stuff. I dont watch TV "so I dont have to talk to anyone". I use the netflix app every night, works fine for me and my family.

opinions...

kyleh22

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2012
Baltimore, MD

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
Just wish they'd stop spamming me with their Apple Music sales pitch at every opportunity! it's getting desperate.

Stop already Apple! I'm not interested, not buying into it and the more you try to push it on me by adding links front & centre of everything you do, the more determined I am to refuse to ever try it.

:mad:

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Surprised there are that many that play music on their TV. I've had an Airport Express hooked to my TV for almost 10 years. It's a far superior way to play than through the TVs limited speakers and I can stream to it from any device, iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, etc.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'd rather have ship and fix than ship and fix a year later. To me this is a sign that TV will get more frequent updates which is a good thing.

Reactions: pmcdunnough

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
It's unbelievable that Siri doesn't work with Apple music on the Apple TV. Apple used to say, "we won't release something until we get it right". This thing is not right. So, I don't understand why they didn't just throw the feature on there. This is far from a finish product. They need to do a lot of rough sanding before they can even start polishing.

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I worked at a Telco a while back and the CIO told me directly as part of a new job he assigned me to that first to market usually guaranteed about 70% share because folks don't switch out of habit and laziness (not because of loyalty). So even buggy software would go out. We implemented one feature and as people signed up we had hoards of temp help to support the feature because the software was late.

Having said that I am not sure that is the case here. Apple is slowly adding Siri features versus releasing Siri before it is ready. I think the end experience is a bit different. From what I have experienced, what was released on the ATV4 works, it just that several features are missing or lacking. Adding them as they are ready is more of an Apple thing than not.

Reactions: Curt2004

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA

jim.arrows

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
Surprised there are that many that play music on their TV. I've had an Airport Express hooked to my TV for almost 10 years. It's a far superior way to play than through the TVs limited speakers and I can stream to it from any device, iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, etc.

We're not playing music "through the TV" we're playing it on our home theater sound systems using the ATV as the visual interface.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007

I guess that when change is too big its hard to get out of that comfort zone you got used to all these years with the old Apple TV ... that post sounds like Old people sitting on the front porch and looking at young kids passing by and trolling that the old days were sooooooo better then now ...

Reactions: rdlink
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.