The new Netflix app for aTV4 is a DISASTER

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by ajiuo, Oct 30, 2015.

1. ajiuo macrumors 65816

It's kind of interesting now that Apple no longer has control over the UI. On one hand HBO now is very nice... But I really don't like Netflix. I don't see any way to view my list, recently watched, or to browse by genre. :-(

2. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Works perfectly fine to me and looks nice! Recently watched comes up at the top, you have to scroll down through the genre's and my list is at the bottom. Doesn't sound like you paid much attention as you were using it. Surely it's different than the previous version, but it works.

3. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I did find my list at the bottom. It sure a a lot of time and energy to get there and then have to scroll through everything in a single row. Before you could just select it from a list and see everything from one screen... And I do not have any recents at the top. Popular on Netflix is my top row.

4. user1234 macrumors regular

user1234

I don't like it. Half the screen is taken up by a huge header, so it's difficult to get a good overview of the content..

5. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

It seems like rather than having these app developers design some exclusive apps for the new Apple TV. They were ok with everyone putting out the generic versions of their apps. So you get the generic ugly version of Netflix. The same generic version you see on all the other Netflix devices nowadays.

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

The latest Netflix UI is awful. But it's awful everywhere. Seems Netflix has monkeys designing it.

I mean how hard can you make it for me to get to my list? Don't have an add to my list function if you make it impossible to see it.

And I have a giant tv screen...fill it with show icons so I can browse quickly. This single scrolling row is crap.

-Kevin

7. Cryates macrumors 6502a

Looks like they changed the design to match what the app used for my Sony Bravia looks like. I don't have a problem with it, then again some people just can't accept change.

8. FRVRandAFTR, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015

FRVRandAFTR macrumors newbie

9. FF1983 macrumors newbie

It's terrible and the main reason I went back to Apple TV 3.

10. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

Except it is in 1080p which looks great. I am use to the crappy UI as all the other devices use it and I generally hate it. The worse is the shrinking of credits. On the new Apple TV I can't get them to go full screen again.

11. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

Nope. It's infinitely better than that god-awful app that we've had on the prior Apple TVs for years.

12. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

Agreed. While it's not the same "custom" feel that you get from the PS3 / PS4 feel, it's still much much better than the archaic ATV3 "movie title carousel" app. Still, it's a launch day app. Expect things to get much much better when it shows ATV4 is a preferred platform.

13. big samm macrumors 65816

Funny my list is at the top not the bottom

14. Laurence Eckert macrumors member

I don't really have a problem with the new (I use that term lightly) for the Apple TV, It makes more sense with the touchpad now.

15. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

Does anyone know if it is using the same UI as the Roku app? I've always liked the Roku version better than the ATV version.

16. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

Although I've only tried Apple TV 3 version, it DOES suck, but not only because of the interface.

The #1 reason why it sucks is because of the content. It sucks because there's still no content in Canada, let alone french content for us in Quebec. And cherry on top : there's no way to tell if something is available in french or not. No filter. Nothing. Nada. Rien.

17. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

I can accept change if it is good change. The old version was easier to use and I spent less time trying to access content.

The new YouTube iOS app is another example of bad change.

18. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

The new version is so bad it is funny, this is not on Apple this is Neflix, the HBO app is crap too

19. Cryates macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's not Apple changing these apps at all. It's the developers of each company that changed the apps. I mean, you can always go back to the ATV3.

20. ginkobiloba, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015

ginkobiloba macrumors 6502

ginkobiloba

So , I went to the Apple Store yesterday and bought the new Apple TV.

I don't know who made the design decisions for the Netflix app in the new AppleTV 4, but he/she should be nothing less than whipped a 100 lashes in public middle-age style. It's got some of the most idiotic, infuriating design choices I've ever seen in my life.

Not only the old interface ( wich wasn't great but still ok ) is now made worse by suppressing the seperate pages for the categories , forcing you now to endlessly swipe left to see the whole list, 4 films at a time until you get carpal tunnel syndrome in your thumb, but even more horryfying :

You can NOT watch the closing credits for movies anymore !

The old interface was already annoying by minimizing automatically the closing credits at the end of a series/film and starting a countdown to the next queud movie or episode, but at least you could bring the credits back if you wanted by reselecting the window. There was no way to deactivate this behavior, but you could still bring the screen back.

Now, some twat at Netflix or Apple just decided that, nah , ending credits are so boring and you don't want to watch that, and YOU WILL NOT WATCH THEM, period. The screen is automatically minimized , even smaller than before and there is simply NO way to bring it back; even if you want to.
    That's it, they have decided that you SHALL NOT WATCH THE CREDITS. The decision have been made for you.

What's next ? Are you going to decide that, nah, that scene in the movie is too boring, we'll just automatically skip it for you and you can't do nothing about it.

So dear Tasteless Idiot Interface Designer , if you're reading this, your job is not to decide for me what I should watch or not because you think I may find it boring, your job is to make it easy for me to watch whatever I want to watch. If I want to watch the 10 minutes long closing credits until the last logo and the last word, I should be able to do so.

This is infuriating enough to make me consider cancelling my Netflix subscription.:mad:

21. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Agreed, amazing how much worse usability got, sure it might look nice, but that's it.

They removed similar movies offered when selecting a movie or show, that was something I used often, and removed actors when you use to scroll down.

Scrolling through a large list left to right is not as good as the old entire screen search.

And text in many places could be larger, at least offer an option for larger text!

Do the test this in a living room from a distance at all!

22. MrX8503 macrumors 68000

I think the worst offense is having the queue list at the bottom. I'm not sure why the app isn't the same across devices.

23. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I think we ended up with the interface used on competitor devices now that Apple doesn't have a say anymore. While it wasn't perfect, the influence Apple had on design helped many apps standout compared to the same services on Roku and other devices.

I really hope this Netflix app is just a place holder until they rework it. There's no excuse for such a limited and useless design. This is kind of the stuff you expect 5 years ago on a smart tv, well, not that bad, but still.

Combined with the terrible keyboard, limited use of Siri in certain apps, interface stutters, no updated remote app, it's hard to justify $150+ over the old Apple TV that did the job.

The new Apple TV should of been nothing but improvements, but the unexpected cons are starting to out weigh the pros.

24. MrX8503 macrumors 68000

Haven't had UI stutters on mine at all. In fact it's the fastest streaming box I've used.

25. macappleguy8 macrumors member

I too just bought the Apple TV 4. I also own a Roku stick which I use for my bedroom tv for the time being. I can confirm that the new Netflix app on the new Apple TV 4 is the same exact interface used on the Roku.