Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I was a little skeptic to enter this thread when I read the title.. but now I just have to know. How on EARTH do you get her to suck? I mean I've tried it but she just won't do it. She says that's not why they made her :(

:rolleyes:

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I was a little skeptic to enter this thread when I read the title.. but now I just have to know. How on EARTH do you get her to suck? I mean I've tried it but she just won't do it. She says that's not why they made her :(

There is a fleshlight add-on for the iPad, but not for the iPhone yet.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Anyone understand how it possibly *could* happen? After all, Apple's server has no idea about how much Siri gets wrong, since there's no big "stop, that's incorrect you stupid thing" button to press.

Unsupervised perceptual learning via a neural net - basically, the more information the better. Moreover, once the range of accents and words is properly learned, probably Apple will be able to program Siri directly into your phone without having to have a network connection (namely, the 'beta' might not just about increasing Siri's databases about locations outside the US etc., but collecting enough information to optimize Siri's voice recognition).

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I was in Laura Ashley at the weekend buy some wallpaper and I used Siri to convert a length into meters and it got it spot on via wolfram alpha.

The women behind the counter had to pick her jaw up off the floor.

It seemed the quickest way to look it up and it was. Siri isn't all bad folks!

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
Unsupervised perceptual learning via a neural net - basically, the more information the better. Moreover, once the range of accents and words is properly learned, probably Apple will be able to program Siri directly into your phone without having to have a network connection (namely, the 'beta' might not just about increasing Siri's databases about locations outside the US etc., but collecting enough information to optimize Siri's voice recognition).

That would never happen. Siri NEEDS the Internet for the wide range of questions it's asked.

But Siri is humble and helpful.

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2012
Apple already made it clear what they were going for with Siri; a personal assistant that can help you get things done just by asking. That's the way it's been, even though it's just a beta for now.

Sure, the maps and directions don't work for people outside the US, (I live in Singapore) but I realize that I use Siri quite a lot to get things done. A plus point is that she has a personality. :)

JZTech101

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
East Brunswick, NJ
Siri Working Great

I absolutely love siri, It works to perfection with only a few misunderstandings here and there. It answers pretty much all of my questions that I ask.

brianmnk

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
Mystic , CT
Siri is ok,

You need to use better Dictation, if your a singer you know what letters, d ,p,k,b,s,e,r,
It is a sort of like clever bot, it learns from experience , so its sorta like an app thats connected

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
It's in beta. What do you expect?

Exactly. One thing we need to realize is that Siri is still in Beta. The full potential of what she is capable of has not even been close to realized. eventually opening apps and performing tasks within those apps will be able to be done using siri and much more...

I currently use Siri to:
- Search for information as I perform other tasks in my immediate vicinity.
- Create Reminders for myself such as (remind me to 'whatever' when I arrive at home) or (remind me to call 'Contact name' when I leave work)
- Add Actions to my inbox in OmniFocus (Anything that possibly crosses my mind that I need to accomplish gets added to my inbox missing nothing!)
- Dictate long text messages as I drive (Usually word for word, misses punctuation.)

Siri is extremely useful to me on a daily basis and does it without failure. My advice is to research how to maximize her current abilities and to annunciate clearly. Also, know word-for-word what you what Siri to do before starting.

----------

She usually knows more about herself than we do... I couldn't make Siri not be awesome even if I tried, and this is just the beginning!

AppleComputer

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
Cupertino, CA
Siri is not an answer for everything, get used to it beta or not.

Siri works great for most things thus far, bugs here and there yes, still growing all the time... but then again I'm not Lt. Parker Barnes, and your phone isn't SID 6.7

At least not yet.

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2011
Works really well for me. I use it mainly for dictating text messages, emails, and for reminders. Doesn't usually get any words wrong.

duffyb

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2003
Buffalo
Siri and Bluetooth speakerphone

With the 4S and Siri you need an internet connection (3G) constantly to use your voice controlled Bluetooth speakerphone in your car. More often than not I keep data turned off. This wasn't a problem with the 4, where Voice Control was always there and useable. Wish Apple would fix this. Give us basic voice control back!

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
With the 4S and Siri you need an internet connection (3G) constantly to use your voice controlled Bluetooth speakerphone in your car. More often than not I keep data turned off. This wasn't a problem with the 4, where Voice Control was always there and useable. Wish Apple would fix this. Give us basic voice control back!

If you turn Siri off you have voice control back.

Easy... like sunday morning.

chris24pc

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
essex uk
Siri

I'm quite impressed with SIRI. I'm pretty disappointed that the map feature won't work in the UK, guess it will be an update of the future.
I can't stand the uk male voice so I've set it to the nice usa female voice. Anyone had problems with this setting in the uk?

blinkin182

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Switzerland
If you turn Siri off you have voice control back.

Easy... like sunday morning.

It would be nice if it would simply switch back to voice control, when it's having trouble connecting to the network or to the Siri Apple Server though. I mean, having it tell me, there's a problem right now and to try again later when all i am asking is for it to play "xx" song, is kinda frustrating.

I don't think it should be too difficult to implement?

I've been rather unimpressed with Siri (and yes, I know it's a beta), as someone once put it (forget who), with Apple products promising new features that "JUST WORK", I've grown accustomed to seeing this promise fullfiled. However, with Siri, it's been a bit disappointing.

I agree with most posters, that limitation to the US for maps, also was kinda frustrating. Some of the coolest demonstrations are its ability to tell you where is the nearest restaurant or hospital... I really hope they open it up to the rest of the world in iOS 6.

Also on my wish list for an update of SIRI:

Ability to easily switch between languages:

I'm bilingual English-French and I would like to be able to quickly switch between these languages, either to use the dictation features or just speak the commands in different languages.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've started swearing at it. Think that says it all. Ok with some stuff. Like talking to a foreigner other times. I want to use it more but it's frustrating sometimes and not having uk business maps etc is shoddy on apples part. Like how much money have you got again, oh yea **** loads. Well use some of it and buy the rights. Cheap skates.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I'm quite impressed with SIRI. I'm pretty disappointed that the map feature won't work in the UK, guess it will be an update of the future.
I can't stand the uk male voice so I've set it to the nice usa female voice. Anyone had problems with this setting in the uk?

The only issue I've come across is that the female setting sometimes finds it difficult to understand the uk accent.

If your jb their is a tweak called 'any voice' which allows you to choose lots of different accents.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Australia Siri understood my uk accent better than the US Siri and added bonus she sounds like kylie minogue :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.