Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark0pol0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Just updated a couple hours ago and can't seem to figure out why my Siri isn't speaking with the same quality sound of English as it does on my iPhone. It sounds like the iPhone 4 Siri or something. Tried to download higher quality voice in the Accessibility -> Dictation settings, but that didn't apply to Siri's voice. Looked online and it appears that virtually no one is having this issue.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Evidently it eventually downloads the HQ voice after install. Try restarting, or if you use a laptop connecting it to power and restarting. You should get the higher quality voice soon.

Low quality Siri voice?

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
i finally upgraded to Sierra... It's been weeks now and the Siri voice still sucks.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
If anyone else comes looking: i checked "Download newly available updates in the background" in the App Store System Preferences, waited a while (noticed softwareupdated was present and active in Activity Monitor), then toggled Siri on and off, swapped to another language and then back to American English. After this fiddling (the same on two machines with the poor quality voice), i now have the correct high-quality Siri voice.

It seems Apple expects automatic updates to be enabled and has tied system component downloads to this function.

EDIT: i found this solution on some other site where people were complaining about the same problem. i didn't take note of the site and cannot find it in my extensive internet history, or i'd point to it here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.