Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Apple, and other manufacturers, are gonna push the boundaries of how large a phone can be. As long as people are buying them, there’s no reason to not making the phone bigger.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
So according to Mac Rumors, Apple seems sure to increase the size of the 16 Pro and 16 Pro Max to 6.3 and 6.85 inches, respectively, with each becoming heavier as a result.

I'm trying to understand why. Isn't there a point at which the phones are simply too large (and heavy) to carry comfortably? What is "too small" about the current crop of phones? Are users actually clamoring for larger phones? No one I know wishes the iPhone Pro models were larger. Quite a few wish they were lighter.

Why do you think Apple is planning to do this?
One possibility could be battery life. A more powerful camera could drain more power, so you need a larger battery so your phone can keep operating for the same amount of time.

As for size, well, I don't see that as an issue for women who typically go out with a purse or handbag. My 13 pro max fits fine in my pants pocket and I don't really find it bulky or cumbersome.

iSuzan

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2020
Germany
If it's so small, then why do it at all?
At least for the Pro models the rumors say one reason is to have enough space for the better camera. According to the latest news the 16 Pro and 16 Pro Max will get the same camera again. Which is very good news to me!

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
So according to Mac Rumors, Apple seems sure to increase the size of the 16 Pro and 16 Pro Max to 6.3 and 6.85 inches, respectively, with each becoming heavier as a result.

I'm trying to understand why. Isn't there a point at which the phones are simply too large (and heavy) to carry comfortably? What is "too small" about the current crop of phones? Are users actually clamoring for larger phones? No one I know wishes the iPhone Pro models were larger. Quite a few wish they were lighter.

I think it has everything to do with the redesign of the internals. The size difference will be subtle, nothing significant.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Then why iPhone 11 (regular non-pro model) sold better than the iPhone XR?
iPhone 11 is a finished iphone xr - the latter had a good battery life and former was even better (25-50%).
Ultrawide and main cameras were a huge step up - they are on par in comparisons even today but no one any longer compares to iphone x, xs, xr.
It launched supercycle - many 11s can be seen even today, because people bought it after not stomaching the 1000 dollar X and XS prices. So people with 8 and below settled on iphone 11 as part of the 3-4 year upgrade plan.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It does mean if the regular 16 Pro is going up in size, those that were Pro Max users that now don’t want a bigger device again, can go for the Pro as it’s bridged the gap slightly.

I can’t really see the complaint here really.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
It does mean if the regular 16 Pro is going up in size, those that were Pro Max users that now don’t want a bigger device again, can go for the Pro as it’s bridged the gap slightly.

I can’t really see the complaint here really.
This is exactly what I intend to do, unless the Pro Max somehow compels me.

ryan102

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
I’m on the 15PM. Had the normal sized Pro in prior years.

I just can’t get used to the PM. It doesn’t sit well in my hand and I find it really annoying and heavy to hold. Anything after unlocking requires both hands to be holding the phone.

I been counting the weeks down to iPhone 16 so I can drop back down to regular Pro.

Reactions: timeconsumer

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
15 PM/plus is perfect size, the 15 pro is too damn small to get any work on, plain and simple..

• Haha
Reactions: geta

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021

WELL over 1 billion phones shipped globally in the last year alone, the vast majority big screen phones. That is your answer.

I got a 14 Pro Max this year, my first ever large iPhone and I friggin love it, it is my all time favourite iPhone.

Reactions: RRC

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020

Because they’ve done their research and that’s what the market is wanting…

A larger screen is better to view content on, for playing games on… and they have subscription models for both.

It’s business, they rarely get it wrong these days to be fair. Watch them release it, and it sell in the millions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.