Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sequence

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2006
Hey guys, I did a sketch for a band t-shirt logo... I need to trace this sketch or whatever it is called to have a vectorized version of it. I'm good with Photoshop but never used Illustrator. Is there any easy way to do this (I don't have a tablet, only a mouse and a macbook touchpad.

I took a picture of the drawing:
http://motiontube.exacity.com/thecrowtheclown.jpg

I can pay someone to do it if anyone is interested (Can't pay alot tho)...
Or offer free hosting on my server.
Thanks!

Sequence

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2006
Yea sure, I could scan it. Is it an easy job? How much time for a skilled person?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Sequence said:
Is it an easy job? How much time for a skilled person?
Depends on the scan... and how much they have to clean up afterwords.

If you basically have to redraw it (which often is the case) it takes a while...

But if the scan is good, and you don't need "pro" print quality (you mentioned a t-shirt, right?) then you might get away with less work... :)

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Illustrator CS2 has a trace function. if you can get a near solid black on white image, some times it does an alright job, then you just go and clean the lines up.

Edit: Here's what i came up with in less than 5mins from your posted image. Obviously needs some work, but a better scan would help.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 169

Sequence

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2006
That's awesome! If I redraw the whole thing with a black pen instead of pencil and I scan it, I could get a near perfect result in almost no time...
The thing is...

How did you do that?!

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
You dont need to redraw that particular artwork. The contrast is such you can just play with the levels in Photoshop to get pure black and white then convert to a bitmap tif. Now you have an exact replica of it in black and white and can colour it what you want in any package. Photoshop, Freehand, Illustrator, Quark etc.

The Autotrace option is handy but the results are far from perfect. As you can see from Lebowskis post the edges are smooth and not as crisp as your original. I do a lot of image tracing and when vectors are needed I do it all by hand because the results are always hit and miss with autotrace.

If you use the Photoshop bitmap technique it will take 30 seconds and it will be an exact replica, albeit not a vector.

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
stuartluff said:
The Autotrace option is handy but the results are far from perfect. As you can see from Lebowskis post the edges are smooth and not as crisp as your original. I do a lot of image tracing and when vectors are needed I do it all by hand because the results are always hit and miss with autotrace.

seeing as i spent about 2 minutes total on the image, i think its ok, also considering its free. i too redraw anything i use for print using strictly pen tool. just didnt see it as a priority to spend an hour or two recreating a crappy logo into a perfect vector - for free.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I like to treshhold the image
2) Select the black
3) Make path from selection
4) Export Work Path
5) Exclude Overlapping Areas in Illustrator's pathfinder
6) Expand
7) Fill with black (or other color)

Best to use an inked drawing. Always ink pencil work.
Work bigger and use a scanner too. I usually ink onto 11x17 and then scan. fun stuff.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,070
  • thecrowtheclown.pdf
    113.8 KB · Views: 107
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.