Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I like the idea of metal finishes returning, but I'm not so sure about the 6c having the weakest internals, if that's the case for being priced between $400 and $500.

Exactly!!! Why bother if the guts are leftovers at a premium price.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
The 5S is still in circulation being sold as the free iPhone. When the 2016 models release, there will be no more 4" models that are "current."

I've stated before that a new C-model will come along and that it will likely be a 4" form-factor.

Using iPhone 6 internals would make sense because that would be the budget components suitable for the C device.

Remember the 5C was old components with minor updates (eg. better LTE support) and the plastic, colorful back plates.

This makes sense that Apple would try to repeat the success of the 5C with a successor, presumably 6C.

I am most doubtful of the metal back plates being reported. The point of the C-model devices is to cut costs.

An 8MP camera, TouchID, and 1GB of RAM is expected because this is what the 6 uses. No 3D Touch.

The 4" form-factor is still not a given, but it makes sense to offer a phone this size for those who find the 4.7" phones to be too large for comfortable use. I'd like to see a 4" 6C and a 4.7" 6C Plus (probably named differently, but you should get the point). 6C would be the free-on-contract phone for 2016 and 6C Plus would be the $50-on-contact phone.

It's all rumors, hearsay, and wishful thinking for now. iPhones aren't announced until Fall 2016, so there's a lot of change to happen between now and then.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I hate to be that guy, but boy, this is becoming Android fragmentation.
It is still nowhere close to that. But it would be nice if Apple just standardized it with the 7 and had three phones with the same specs other than the screen, and you could choose what screen size you want without having to debate if missing out on other features are worth the tradeoff of getting a screen size you don't want.

Unfortunately the only way I see the summer release date being true is if Apple is crippling it so much that they don't want people to compare it with the iPhone 7.

Reactions: BMcCoy and navaira

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Isn't Apple doing essentially the same thing they did when Jobs left the 1st time: over-diluting their product lines and complicating which product is meant for whom (or however it should be spelled). Apple shares dip under $100 in the next year, book it.
That's one of my biggest issues with the Tim Cook era so far and they really need to streamline their lineup!

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Put it in an iPod Touch form factor and I will buy it as my spare "going out" phone, for when my 6s+ is just a PITA to carry around.

Right now my old 5s is in that role.

Its not the first time im hearing ppl saying they loving their Plus version (6 or 6s), but in the same time they wish they had smaller phone for certain situations, that's why some ending up juggling between two phones.

You're not preferring a single phone with smaller screen to use all the time, instead of having headache with syncing and sim replacement every time you switching phones ?

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Zero chance this is happening

Do you mean 'at all' or ' 6s feature parity'?

Either way, the question is, why? True, if the story is right about pricing, then it's going to be a gimp'd version. But if so, that's because Apple is stupid now, not because it's a good idea. There are a huge number of people, for whom the iPhone isn't their only computing device, who still want a phone-sized phone! We'll pay the EXACT SAME amount for it as a bigger 6s, heck, even the Plus if that's what it takes.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
That's one of my biggest issues with the Tim Cook era so far and they really need to streamline their lineup!

I generally agree, except in this case. The size of the phone is really the crucial differentiator. If they want to simplify, drop the dang 16GB model and just offer 64 GB and 128 GB. Or, drop all the previous versions. Or, don't have a cheap model.

But, they do need to have a phone-sized phone in the lineup! In fact, if they had to cut one of the sizes, I'd keep a 4" and the Plus (5.5") and kill off the 4.7". The problem with the current 6s (and 6) is that they are too small to be a Phablet (like the Plus... for people who use it as a primary computing device), and too big to be a phone.

I want a 4" phone, because I want a phone-sized phone, and I have an iPad/laptop I can use in conjunction with it. I don't intend it to be my do-it-all device.

Designx

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Not the stupid 4" iPhone rumor again. Maybe it can be the kids version and run on last gen ipod touch hardware and have 8 gigs of storage. Make it out of plastic in pink and baby blue.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Maybe we'll see an Apple-event in january/february. I'm thinking:

- Sales figures and numbers as usual, holiday sales in particular
- iPhone 6C
- Skylake MacBook
- Possibly updated MacBook Pro's (not expecting a redesign until WWDC earliest)
- Wildcard: iPad Air 3 (not expecting it)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
As much as I'd wish Apple would make a 4" 6s, as I have many friends and family who want such a device, I doubt they will. A8? I'm ok with that. No 3D Touch? No problem. 8MP camera? I guess. 1GB of RAM? Please no. Do the right thing, Apple. Put 2GB of RAM into this bad boy like you did on the Apple TV 4 and iPad Mini 4. I never thought my 6 Plus was slow. I never thought it took bad photos. But it was really crash prone and couldn't hold a browser tab in RAM to save it's life. I hope they can at least improve upon that in the 6c. Like I said, they already made the package for the ATV4 and Mini 4. Lower the clock speed a little and put it in the 6c—please! For the children?

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
I wish apple cut the bullcrap and release the top flagship of 4.2" and 5.5".

A flagship 4.2" device sized like blackberry z10 is gonna be sweet.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I hate to be that guy, but boy, this is becoming Android fragmentation.
My first thought also. What happened to doing only a few things, but doing them really well? Let's keep in mind it's only a rumor so far. However with 3 sizes of iPhones, 3 sizes of WiFi only or WiFi + Cellular iPads, most with 3 storage tiers each, as well as multiple color choices, it's getting crowded and we're not even talking yet about desktops, and especially laptops. Choice is good, but too many product options can lead to confusion and indecision.

By comparison to some other manufacturers, Apple's offerings still seem like a fairly limited array of options but isn't it starting to look a bit like the 2015 Apple wants to be everything to everybody to maximize profits?

Last edited:

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
I drank the cool aid, my phone is a phone (with benefits), tablet consumes media, Mac does the heavy lifting. Nice if one could combine the tablet and Mac but the phone will always be a phone. Therefore, the 4 inch models are just fine, thank you very much. Would like to see a 4 inch with All the benefits of the larger phones. No corners cut, just a nice hand size.

Reactions: BMcCoy and aleni

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
I drank the cool aid, my phone is a phone (with benefits), tablet consumes media, Mac does the heavy lifting. Nice if one could combine the tablet and Mac but the phone will always be a phone. Therefore, the 4 inch models are just fine, thank you very much. Would like to see a 4 inch with All the benefits of the larger phones. No corners cut, just a nice hand size.

The problem is, Apple isn't quite that smart any longer. :(

Here's how it works. Apple has 4" phone... sales do really well. Apple makes bigger phone, sales do really, really well. So, bigger, must be better (if you lack critical thinking skills). So, a smaller phone, must be an inferior model to pick up some extra low end sales, but not compete with the other models (despite Apple saying they don't worry about in-house cannibalization of the product lines.)

The bigger question... how long do we think the 'new' Apple can survive without a brain shared between all their leadership?

Reactions: npmacuser5

tedson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
So long as it has NFC for ApplePay, I would very seriously consider it at a $450/16GB, $499/32GB or 64GB price point. (same as current 5s price point which I assume will be discontinued if these are released)

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
"Apologetically Metallic?"

Wouldnt it be awesome if apple updates the 5s with ipad mini 4's spec. A8 but with 2gb of ram in 5-6 colours of metallic 5s case? I think it will look great like the ipod touch.

Wish it was A9 processor but hey it's apple.

mbh1976

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
OMG please no. Just because people want a 4-inch phone doesn't mean it needs to look like something only teenage girl would use.

Reactions: BMcCoy

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
So long as it has NFC for ApplePay, I would very seriously consider it at a $450/16GB, $499/32GB or 64GB price point.

It would be crazy to make it without NFC or Touch ID... but then, it's crazy they don't *already* have a 4" phone in their lineup. So, these days, Apple and crazy kind of go hand-in-hand.

Wouldnt it be awesome if apple updates the 5s with ipad mini 4's spec. A8 but with 2gb of ram in 5-6 colours of metallic 5s case? I think it will look great like the ipod touch. Wish it was A9 processor but hey it's apple.

If it doesn't have 2GB RAM, it's not worth buying. 1 GB devices will soon be obsolete.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
It will be crippled if Apple if the main rumor of the phone is colors. Apple should just charge more for a deluxe version of the smaller phone if if they feel it will hurt profits.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I still think it will be released alongside the iPhone 7. So next year lineup will be this 6"c", 6S, and 7. No 6.
And yes, I believe it is the 6th gen iPod Touch with a phone in it.
Exclusion of 3D touch is ok with me, I mean if so, the reduction of battery will be pretty significant, and the A8 is not as efficient as the A9.
I believe price will still be $549. It simply replaces the current 5S for 2016.

A twist would be having this as an exclusively no-contract iPhone. For contract, lowest for free will be current iPhone 6. This 6"c" would be $450 no contract only. If that's the case, then I think it will be interesting for those that want a backup/second iPhone. Currently, cheapest iPhone is $549 which is not exactly cheap for a second back up phone. The only issue is the A8, which would be 2 generation behind by next year. Selling at $450 is feasible as Apple can sell the 6th gen iPod Touch at $199.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
All I want is a premium 4" iPhone that matches exactly the 6s specs. Hell, i'd even pay £100 more ($150+) over the cost of the 6s+ to own and i'll even wait 3 months longer each year after the big phones are released whilst you figure out how to cram all that extra power into a smaller device.

How many more concessions as a customer can I make? And yet it'll still never happen. A premium 4" device (eg not a borked, cut down, kids or womens version) would sell like hot cakes and would make a three tier iPhone line up each year perfect. (Forget doing budget anything)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.