Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ollifi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
When I'm for example transferring photos to Photobox with Chrome, in MBA, how could I easily prevent the computer from sleeping? I'd still like to lock screen somehow, that others cannot use my computer.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
There are some apps for this, caffeine for example, but what I do is even simpler. I just changed the energy settings to never sleep but let only the display sleep. You can add a password through the security and privacy settings.

teffers

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2013
United Kingdom
There are some apps for this, caffeine for example, but what I do is even simpler. I just changed the energy settings to never sleep but let only the display sleep. You can add a password through the security and privacy settings.

This is OK unless you have the newest MBA. The setting to separate Display Sleep and System Sleep are no longer there. As the screen switches off so do other aspects of the system (such as networks connections).

The good news however is they can be adjusted from the Terminal.

Here is the thread on the subject :

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1595455/

Ollifi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
Ok. Is there any utility which I could use to adjust screen sleep/system sleep separately?

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
The setting to separate Display Sleep and System Sleep are no longer there.
Waaa,.. that's just weird. Using a hotcorner to sleep the display only also doesn't work?

Ok. Is there any utility which I could use to adjust screen sleep/system sleep separately?
No simple utility, but there is an easy command you need to run in Terminal.app to fix it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.