Sleeping

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rye9, Sep 29, 2005.

1. macrumors 65816

rye9

Is there a way to turn off the light that "breathes" next to the latch while the iBook is sleeping?

2. macrumors 6502a

Don't think so. Why? Does it freak you out or something? :eek:

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

well if i let it sleep all night, id rather not have the light on for 1) to save battery 2) to not burn the light out 3) i dont want a light going on and off all night bc yeah it would freak me out sleeping next to a pulsating light

4. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I love that little light.... it's kinda like watching it breathe :D
    Makes me feel reassured that it is still alive... ;)

5. macrumors regular

all my friends love the sleeping pulsating light. i think its a cool feature. I do agree its bright in a dark room. I just turn it around when i go to bed so i dont get the direct light. but to answer your question, i dont know of a way to turn it off.

6. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's an LED, so it won't burn out. Covering it with electrical tape is cheap and does the job well.

7. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Eventually Apple will probably release an update that makes the light much dimmer at night. They did for the iMac G5s, even the Rev A ones without a light sensor will go very dim between like 8pm-8am. I'd imagine they're going to apply the same fix to iBooks, i mean, if they understand it's a problem for some people...

This is why it's nice to have more than one room :)

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Well, I do have more than one room. Im in a house, not a box. Also, does it drain the battery. If so, by how much percent? I like the suggestion about the tape over it but I would like to know that if you turn the screen brightness down, does it dim other lights too? (Apple logo, status light)

9. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Dimming the screen will theoretically dim the logo on the back because that logo is just the same backlight as the actual screen however I find the difference pretty negligible between full screen brightness and the lowest brightness level, one up from screen-off.

However, the sleep light is unrelated to the screen and dimming the screen will not have the same effect upon it. :(