Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

233356-sling.jpg

Given all the drama from the circumstances surrounding the SlingPlayer Mobile launch, we felt it newsworthy to post about the availability of Sling Media's app.

SlingPlayer Mobile is now available [liTunes ink] in the App Store. The $29.99 application allows you to watch and control your home TV and DVR from your iPhone and iPod touch. This is accomplished though the use of one of SlingMedia's media devices. Unfortunately, due to concerns about network congestion, the application will only stream video over Wi-Fi connections and does not support 3G or EDGE.

App Store Link: SlingPlayer Mobile, $29.99

Article Link: Sling Media's SlingPlayer Now Available in App Store

socbrian

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
nc
booooooooooooooooooooooo!!

"slingplayer moble for the iphone only supports streaming over wi-fi connecting at this time."

Maybe hope?

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Where's the 30 day trial like they give Windows Mobile users?

Let's see:

1-Same price as the WM version
2-No trial available
3-WiFi only

3 strikes you're out! Major disappointment!

Asar

macrumors regular
May 29, 2006
See kids? this is why we jailbreak and use things like VoIPover3G when :apple: needs to be all monopolistic..

yeah, i dont jailbreak, but i see why people do. i remember hearing of a hack that tricked your phone to think its on wifi back in the day, so you could download itune songs on your phone with 3g and edge. i'm sure they will do the same hack for this app so you CAN use it for 3g and edge.

iPhonePhan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Apple FanBoy Land
Price it like BeeJive at $14.99, make it work over 3G/EDGE and you've got a sale for most people.

At $30, only 10% of a niche (iPhone users) of a niche (SlingPlayer) market will invest in a crippled app. Sling Media is not at fault for the WWAN limitation but they can make lemonades out of this lemon of a situation by reducing the price to a reasonable $9.99 pending AT&T's bandwidth update in June 2009.

Sling knows that in June they can Sling TV over 3G because of the network bandwidth update which is why they mention in their app's description that you can view video over Wifi "at this time".

Save your money until late May - early June when Sling will offer a fire sale at a better price point like so many other developpers asking for too much but delivering a so-so iPhone app.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
I'm also very disappointed in the wifi only aspect of the slingplayer but I thought I'd give it a try anyways. So far I'm very disappointed that there seems to be no way to actually turn on my cable box remotely. This is a huge downer. I don't really want to leave my cable box running at all times.

Oh, and the icon for the app is all black which doesn't really show up too well on my iphone. Maybe my problems are just due to the fact that I'm running iPhone OS 3.0 beta 5. But, I thought all apps now have to be compliant with 3.0 in order to be approved. Oh well...I think I just wasted $30.

sidebox

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
whine whine whine. don't buy it.

99.9% of you probably don't own a slingbox and had not planned on it.

I do, I've already spent the $30 and it works perfectly, great quality and it responds quickly.

Down the road I am certain that it will be useable over more than just wifi, whether that means I have to wait till 4g or not, who knows... or cares. How many long bus trips do you take a year? A decade... wifi will do just fine for now.
commence the bitchfest..... now.

MACingIS4Me

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
this sickens me.:mad: I pay 30$ a month to use the iphone data plan, but then my carrier can say.."well, an iphone is pretty much a pc so its against the rules" **** that! How in bloody hell is my iphone compare to my MB? and if i have wifi i will certainly have that with! Completely pointless! sling mobile works for my blackerry bold on AT&T 3G? So magically it wont because I have an iPhone? Jailbreakers..HELP!! no current apps from the community seem to trick sling media..

patrickvanzandt

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
U.S.A.
Working great on 3G for me

img0002y.png

...thank you VoIPover3G!

Queue the new TV spot.
"Say you're a commuter and you wanna watch your home DVR on the subway....
Well, there's an app for that! (but we [AT&T] won't let you have it)
Only on the iPhone."

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
FYI: There have been rumors of AT&T introducing their own proprietary version of a Slingbox like app that will require an extra monthly fee on top of the data plan. Also may be integrated with the few (I am in one of them) areas that can get Uverse. My guess is an extra $19.99 per month extra for 100+ channels on iPhone. Probably not streaming from home though (unlike Slingbox), but directly from AT&T. People would pay it, Apple is great at marketing and people can cut out other costs (like rent) to justify the extra feature. Of course Apple will receive a good chunk of change (say 50% of the 19.99) to offset potential losses in the iTunes Mobile Store.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
Is there a way to remotely turn on my cable box using this app??? I can't seem to find this option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.