Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
While I will probably never need to install any version of Windows it it still nice to have the option. Good job to those who figured it out. I'm sure Apple will have a more elegant solution in the next version of Bootcamp, but you beat them to it with the work-around.

Didn't somebody return their Mac Pro last week just because it did not run an unsuported OS at full speed? Guess they should have waited... :D

JNaut

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2006
MacsAttack said:
Didn't somebody return their Mac Pro last week just because it did not run an unsuported OS at full speed? Guess they should have waited... :D

I did, but it wasn't just because of that. The machine was just overkill for what I wanted it for (Windows gaming and Mac tinkering/web browsing). I just built a Core 2 Duo gaming PC for about $1,000 and I plan on grabbing a new Mac mini when they're released. Yeah, it's two boxes - but with a KVM, I won't need to reboot to play games. That was starting to annoy me too. :)

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
MacsAttack said:
While I will probably never need to install any version of Windows it it still nice to have the option. Good job to those who figured it out. I'm sure Apple will have a more elegant solution in the next version of Bootcamp, but you beat them to it with the work-around.

Guess Apple should've stopped being acting like a sullen child who won't speak to anybody.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Here's the fix - Custom XP Boot Disk

The issue is that the Intel's XP SATA drivers for the Intel 531xESB chips on the Mac Pro have to be included as part of the XP installation disk and installed as part of the new installation, not done after the install.

What you need to do is build a custom Windows XP boot disk.

Here's how:
http://web.mac.com/terrabit/iWeb/macpro/xp.html

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
You need:

Windows XP on CD
Service Pack 2 for XP
.NET framework version 2
nLite
Intel chipset drivers - link
Intel SATA driver - here

You don't need the WPA_KILL or RemoveWGA. If you want these, they can be installed after you have installed XP. They remove the Windows Genuine Advantage check from Windows Update and Microsoft's downloads.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Glen Quagmire said:
You need:

Windows XP on CD
Service Pack 2 for XP
.NET framework version 2
nLite
Intel chipset drivers - link
Intel SATA driver - here

You don't need the WPA_KILL or RemoveWGA. If you want these, they can be installed after you have installed XP. They remove the Windows Genuine Advantage check from Windows Update and Microsoft's downloads.

Do you slipstream all the intel chipset drivers, or just the XP chipset drivers? If you extract all the chipset drivers from the installer there are many versions to choose from. Also there are 2 chipset drivers inside the XP folder, titled XP and SP, which is to be used? I made a custom install cd with ONLY the SATA driver, and windows seemed to install fine, but once installed sisoft sandra wouldn't run, saying couldn't connect to host machine, and other weird things like add/remove programs ultilty failing to work as well. This was after installing the bootcamp 1.1 drivers too.

All of my custom cds with the chipset dirvers keep stalling at the 34 minutes to go in the install process, the part where it is installing devices, making me think that I put the wrong drivers on the custom cd . . .

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Laslo Panaflex said:
Do you slipstream all the intel chipset drivers, or just the XP chipset drivers? If you extract all the chipset drivers from the installer there are many versions to choose from. Also there are 2 chipset drivers inside the XP folder, titled XP and SP, which is to be used? I made a custom install cd with ONLY the SATA driver, and windows seemed to install fine, but once installed sisoft sandra wouldn't run, saying couldn't connect to host machine, and other weird things like add/remove programs ultilty failing to work as well. This was after installing the bootcamp 1.1 drivers too.

All of my custom cds with the chipset dirvers keep stalling at the 34 minutes to go in the install process, the part where it is installing devices, making me think that I put the wrong drivers on the custom cd . . .

For the chipset drivers, select the "XP" folder (make sure you select the SATA driver as well - imsm_windows_x86-x64_v.5.6.2.1002\32bit). If you read the readme file within the ZIP file, it says that the "SP" folder contains "special INFs" (whatever that means), so at a guess I'd say you could exclude them.

If memory serves (it's a while since I installed XP - I always use Ghost to reinstall) the installing drivers bit can take a while.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Glen Quagmire said:
If memory serves (it's a while since I installed XP - I always use Ghost to reinstall) the installing drivers bit can take a while.

Thanks for the input, I think I may be running into issues becuase I was using an already slipstreamed win xp cd to create my custom one, though I don't know why that would be a problem. I am getting a OEM cd from my office today and will try again.

And yes, installing devices does take a while, but it was stalling at 34 minutes left for 10-15mins, I have never had it do that to me before.

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
amac4me said:
The issue is that the Intel's XP SATA drivers for the Intel 531xESB chips on the Mac Pro have to be included as part of the XP installation disk and installed as part of the new installation, not done after the install.

What you need to do is build a custom Windows XP boot disk.

Here's how:
http://web.mac.com/terrabit/iWeb/macpro/xp.html

This was just posted 2 pages back in this very same thread.

Search.

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
That link is the single thing so far that's EVER helped SATA performance on the Mac Pro. He can post thirty threads about that link and spam every "SLOW SATA ON MAC PRO WTF" thread with it for all I care as long as it works.

Omnikurt

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2006
Cleveland, OH
Seems to Work...

I followed the instructions (without all the Kill WPA/WGA stuff) and the install seems to have worked flawlessly. I did have to fix the sound as previously posted.

Question:
I still have a question mark next to "Base System Device", and four exclamation points next to "PCI Express x4 ports 3, 5, 6, and 7". I figure the four PCI Express notifications are for the unused slots on the Motherboard. Any idea what the Base System Device is referring to? Am I missing a driver, or is this normal?

Thanks.

G5guy

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2004
Well, now that I know there is a fix, I ordered my Mac Pro :D

It has the Nvidia Quadro card, so bet it takes a while. :(

I talked to a Windows expert and he thinks Windows will not recognize the flash usb disk during the install. If there is any other easy way it would sure be nice.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
G5guy said:

It has the Nvidia Quadro card, so bet it takes a while. :(

I talked to a Windows expert and he thinks Windows will not recognize the flash usb disk during the install. If there is any other easy way it would sure be nice.

How about creating two partitions on the disk (assuming you go for the XP-on-a-seperate-disk option). Format the smaller as FAT32 and put the files on there. Then install XP to the other partition.

More or less how we did it back in the bad old days of NT4 to avoid the old can't install NT4 until you can see the CD - cant see the CD until you install NT4 catch-22 situation (cause you never had the install disk set handy - buy everyone had a dos boot disk).

Even better would be to have the entire CD image on the partition - fast install/reinstall if you could lauch the setup exe somhow.

AlexBlack

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2006
Okay so I realize suck really bad at windows.

I have downloaded the drivers for both the chipset and the sata drive. When he says to make to seperate folders for each of the intel device drivers, is he talking about one folder for the sata files and one for all the chipset drivers OR do i take all of the .INF files and put them each in a different folder. Im confused as to how to set this up.

Im sorry in advance. :(

jlmodell

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2005
AlexBlack said:
Okay so I realize suck really bad at windows.

I have downloaded the drivers for both the chipset and the sata drive. When he says to make to seperate folders for each of the intel device drivers, is he talking about one folder for the sata files and one for all the chipset drivers OR do i take all of the .INF files and put them each in a different folder. Im confused as to how to set this up.

Im sorry in advance. :(

IntelDrivers (Main Dir)
----IntelDriverA (Sub Dir 1)
--------Unzip the 32bit folder here ** SATA Drivers
----IntelDriverB (Sub Dir 2)
--------Unzip the whole thing here ** Chipset Drivers

http://gorkd.com/images/drivers.PNG

Thats how I did mine.

scratchmaster

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2006
Omnikurt said:
I followed the instructions (without all the Kill WPA/WGA stuff) and the install seems to have worked flawlessly. I did have to fix the sound as previously posted.

Question:
I still have a question mark next to "Base System Device", and four exclamation points next to "PCI Express x4 ports 3, 5, 6, and 7". I figure the four PCI Express notifications are for the unused slots on the Motherboard. Any idea what the Base System Device is referring to? Am I missing a driver, or is this normal?

Thanks.

How did you fix the sound ??? I am having that same problem !!!!!

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
->
jlmodell said:
I also fixed my sound problem via simple googling. I wonder if other ppl had the same problem b/c it seems to be caused by installing the chipset before SP2.

"...

4 go to "System Device", you'll see yellow mark on the device named "PCI Device", right click at the "PCI Device", select update driver

5 select your Realtek HD audio driver path and go to Directoty "WDM" such as c:\driver\audio\HDAudio\WDM and then click open

6 Windows will install Microsoft UAA Driver , and install your HD Audio driver automatically

7 reboot your machine again

8 enjoy your cool music"

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
G5guy said:

Apple Boot Camp documentation said:
65933693.3Sei7ALA.bcdoc.jpg

I don't think we will ever be able to count on Boot Camp providing truly "the best of both worlds." Hopefully this fix will at least make it basically functional.

AlexBlack

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2006
jlmodell said:
IntelDrivers (Main Dir)
----IntelDriverA (Sub Dir 1)
--------Unzip the 32bit folder here ** SATA Drivers
----IntelDriverB (Sub Dir 2)
--------Unzip the whole thing here ** Chipset Drivers

http://gorkd.com/images/drivers.PNG

Thats how I did mine.

Thank you so much. That really cleared things up, but i think the site went down does anyone know where any alternative links are?

CyberPrey

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
IGH, MN
Crap, I'm gone a couple days and you guys got the fix.... which is great!!!

Problem is that the website WITH The fix is down....

anyone able to provide an alternate link with full instructions?

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
All my custom cds stall at the "installing devices 34 minutes left".

I have made custom cds with only the SATA driver, SATA and only the xp chipset drivers, and SATA and ALL the chipset drivers.

I give up, hopefully someone will just post a pre-made .iso so on some torrent site :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.