Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
It was a general question to everybody.

Data just seems slower in iOS 8

----------

I'm on 152 MB fibre broadband and posting these few words of a reply takes about 40 seconds.

In iOS 7 it would be under a second.

Something is wrong!

you must buy the new iPhone

;)

amro

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Same here on iPad Mini HD and iPad gen 4. Will try resetting network settings and rebooting when I go home.

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I know this won't help everyone, but safari was horribly slow on my 5S after the update. I cleared the saved web page data and history and seems to be running better than before at least.

djamison

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
I had this issue on my iPhone 5 and now have it on my iPhone 6. I have an AC AirPort Extreme. The issue is gone when my iPhone is the only device on the 5GHz network. I saw speeds of 150+ when it was the only device, when previously it was <5 if it worked at all.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I had this issue on my iPhone 5 and now have it on my iPhone 6. I have an AC AirPort Extreme. The issue is gone when my iPhone is the only device on the 5GHz network. I saw speeds of 150+ when it was the only device, when previously it was <5 if it worked at all.

I also have the same Extreme. Problem is it's impractical to always be the only device on the router.

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
similar issues here, definitely noticed a speed drop. Loading webpages takes more time than it did before if they even load at all.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Its driving me nuts and really makes me not want to pick up my air anymore for web browsing. Hope this gets fixed really quick.

I also tried network reset and it was good for a while and then went bust again.

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Its driving me nuts and really makes me not want to pick up my air anymore for web browsing. Hope this gets fixed really quick.

I also tried network reset and it was good for a while and then went bust again.

agreed. basically the same here.
works fast for a few minutes, then reverts back to being slow...

Dirtysand

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2014
Yes Web browsing does seem slower.

Probably due to the 4th tier LLVM javascript optimizations. It's trading latency for throughput in computational intensive cases. For example, I measured an exact 33% speed up in a SHA hashing benchmark. Pretty much the ideal case for this kind of optimization.

Last edited:

jamesgf

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2013
Is it just me or is there lag in Safari page loading? I am even having some pages macrumors for instance just give me a blank white page at times. I was on another forum and the page only loaded halfway. It's been a disaster for me, never had any of these problems prior to updating. Smh

I think I finally fixed this. Turning off all search options and fraudulent website warning in safari settings seems to have removed the long pause while loading pages and timeouts

mcpopvb

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
IOS8 Slow wifi

My iPad 3 is acting strangely...slow or near-freeze. Don't suppose there's any way to return to IOS7?

daroga

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
My iPhone 6 is incredibly slow downloading apps and podcasts on wifi. I've rebooted, deleted the network and re-set it up, but nothing seems to fix it. Off and on it seems to boost up in speed, but generally it's been pretty painful. Like, slower than 3G painful. Nothing else on the network seems to be affected like this.

OHCasper

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
It doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it blows. When it blows, I have to turn off the wifi to do simple web browsing. Still across all apps. Notice it mainly in Safari, Alien Blue, YouTube, and Tapatalk. Tried resetting network preferences. Worked for a few hours, then slowed down again. Never thought I'd see the day when my mobile broadband was faster than my home wireless.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
I have the same slow wifi problem with my new iPhone 6. Turning off 5GHz on my router has 'fixed' it and I can now stream videos normally etc.. I guess that'll have to do until Apple put out a fix.

Edit: I turned 5Ghz back on and it's still ok, weird...

Last edited:

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Just received my iPhone 6 and my banking apps have detected a change of device. Problem is I have to turn off wifi to re-register my phone and register using 3G because the apps (Natwest and Nationwide) display an error when I try and do it via wifi!

There is more to this wifi issue than meets the eye.

robs24

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
I also had this issue. I was getting 2 mb/s download speeds. Power cycled my phone, now getting 80+ mb/s.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
I don't know if it would help but try setting your DNS servers to google's. That is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

It has helped me in many situations when the wifi seems really slow.

Vudette

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
I have been having the same issue on my iPhone 6 with slow wifi. We've reset the network and that didn't work. My iphone 5 which has not been updated to iOS 8 functions better than my NEW iPhone 6? Apple needs to fix this and stop playing. ✌️#

*Current Download speed is 2 mb/s. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.