SLS DHCP server resetting itself

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by woodlandtrek, Jan 27, 2010.

1. macrumors member

About a month ago, I set up a new mac mini running OS X server 10.6 at a small business to provide filesharing, calendars, etc. Last week, I also switched the DHCP server from the router to the Mini server because the router could not provide static mappings that were needed for the printers.

However, within the 5 days it has been in use, the DHCP service on the Mini has turned itself off twice. The subnet information is also reset and disabled.

Searching through the logs, I came across these two messages:
    servermgr_dhcp:bootp config:Notice:Created default configuration file
    servermgr_dhcp:bootp config:Notice:Created 1 default subnet records

Can anybody tell me what's going on here and how to keep it from happening again?

2. macrumors member

mcprobie

Did you set logging to Maximum ?
    Because this doesn't say much of course :)

Enable debugging ?

3. thread starter macrumors member

Logging for DHCP was set to "High (all events)", but these are the only two lines indicating a problem. Those errors were found in the system.log. Is there another place to look for more information?

4. macrumors member

mcprobie

Did you enable debugging in the syslog.conf file for the DHCP process ? Maybe this will give you more insight in what is happening. I read some articles about things resetting to default, also for DHCP ... No reason why was mentioned nor a solution ... I guess it's troubleshooting 101 :D

Excerpt from Apple Advanced Server Admin:

5. thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the tip. That's fairly new territory for me, but hopefully it will provide some more information to work off of if/when it happens again.

6. thread starter macrumors member

In case anyone else is having this problem, it seems this problem arises when Server Admin locks some files while it is open. I've been making a point to close server admin anytime I'm not making a change, and haven't seen this problem for several weeks. (Still, it's a little unsettling knowing it's that easy to mess up the DHCP).

Here's a discussion of the issue in Apple's forums: http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2104110&tstart=0&messageID=10325446

7. macrumors member

mcprobie

Good to know ... Thanks !