Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xagoldsteinx

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2005
I got this little disc from HP for my printer. It's one of those small CD's, like, the size of the disc in a floppy. Can I use it on my slot-loading iMac G5 (iSight)?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
In general --- completely ignore any driver disks you get with a printer (scanner, or other hardware device) - they are almost always oout of date. If a printer isn't automatically recognized by OS X, then download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
one of our local computer stores even has a little note posted with the blank mini disk "note:these disk may not eject from slot loading drives (EG:apple) and can damage your computer"

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
xagoldsteinx said:
I got this little disc from HP for my printer. It's one of those small CD's, like, the size of the disc in a floppy. Can I use it on my slot-loading iMac G5 (iSight)?

NO!!!!!!!

Just to make sure you don't, it won't probably come out again and ruin your mac.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The only Mac slot-load drives that could take those were the original slot-load drives in the old gumdrop/CRT G3 iMacs. None of the PowerBook slot-load drives have been able to take them, and the G5+ iMacs use those same 'notebook' slot-load drives.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
As you`ve probably figured out dont put that disk in at any cost. Your alternatives are 1. Download the driver from the net. OR 2. Copy the mini disk by putting it in a PC with a tray loading drive and then transfer the file using a regular CD or any USB flash memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.