Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kes601

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
Just wanted to post a quick message about my experience with a Smart Cover and a SkinIt Skin only on the back of the iPad.

I bought the mahogany wood skin to complement the brown leather smart cover.

They look great together, but I've found the the Smart Cover does not attach to the side of the iPad nearly as easily or as strongly as w/o the SkinIt skin on. A lot of times it'll just fall off after a couple hours of use.

I'm contemplating trying to trim the SkinIt skin so that the Smart Cover can attach straight to the metal of the iPad.

sorepheet

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2010
East Coast
Form vs. function

Just wanted to post a quick message about my experience with a Smart Cover and a SkinIt Skin only on the back of the iPad.

I bought the mahogany wood skin to complement the brown leather smart cover.

They look great together, but I've found the the Smart Cover does not attach to the side of the iPad nearly as easily or as strongly as w/o the SkinIt skin on. A lot of times it'll just fall off after a couple hours of use.

I'm contemplating trying to trim the SkinIt skin so that the Smart Cover can attach straight to the metal of the iPad.

I understand your goal in making the back of the iPad look nice with your Smart Cover, however are you using it more to protect the back of the iPad? Doesn't the Smart Cover fold back behind the iPad while in use and protect the back? Seems overkill to have both. If you must have both I think your solution in trimming the SkinIt should work fine. Post pics to show us how it looks?

kes601

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
I understand your goal in making the back of the iPad look nice with your Smart Cover, however are you using it more to protect the back of the iPad? Doesn't the Smart Cover fold back behind the iPad while in use and protect the back? Seems overkill to have both. If you must have both I think your solution in trimming the SkinIt should work fine. Post pics to show us how it looks?

It's to protect the back from getting scratched when I use the smart cover on my desk at work. I also like the looks of it a lot.

Will try to post pics later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.