Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
So I spend 3 hours yesterday reinstalling lion and MANUALLY copying over settings from my old bugged account in lion (where you can't uncheck sharing on the main admin account), so now I have a new share only account and I can select and deselect correctly (woohoo for small miracles) however when I reboot I have select and deselect file sharing for it to work, otherwise all my windows pc's require me to enter username and password and the share account one doesn't work. I tick and untick file sharing and BAM works like a champ. Really wish apple would fix this. Totally unacceptable that this got past testing, and what's worse is I can't go to SL because this is a new mini.

ahwman

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
Same exact problem...

When trying to access my iMac running Lion from PC's it fails. Go into settings/sharing and disable/enable sharing, bam it works again... Reboot the iMac and problem is back.

I spoke with Apple and they had me run a diag program and email them the results. It's been handed off to an engineer. Waiting to hear back...

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
So I had a "sharing-only" account created for SMB sharing for a Mac-hosted SMB share under Snow Leopared. After upgrading, I found that I could not deactivate sharing for that user (same as the OP mentioned he could not do with an "Admin" user).

I think if you have SMB setup for a user before upgrading to Snow Leopard that for some reason when you try to deactivate sharing for that user the following happens:

1) You are prompted for the password to "disable" that user's sharing status for SMB (Windows) shares
2) You enter the correct password
3) Lion accepts the password and then promptly re-enables sharing for that user.

I worked around by deleting my "sharing-only" user account (something you obviously don't want to do with a normal account) and then I just created a new "sharing-only" account.

I got passed the "SMB client not supported - Unicode, NT Errors, Long Names and Extended Security are require" error from SMBX by adding "sec=ntlmssp" option to my Linux SMB client (mount.cifs).

HOWEVER, I am now stuck getting "mount error(2): No such file or directory" from mount.cifs on Linux and all Lion SMBX is reporting is:

smb1_dispatch_one [smb_dispatch.cpp:377] dispatching SMB_COM_NEGOTIATE
socket_look [unix_socket.cpp:285] socket_look: rdsz 0 ---> EPIPE

Anybody have any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.