Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lee303

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
I'll get this information for you tomorrow :) I got the component off of an doner board. I can get hold of the component for you if you like.

Lee

Musicsoul78

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
UK ESSEX
I'll get this information for you tomorrow :) I got the component off of an doner board. I can get hold of the component for you if you like.

Lee

thats very kind of you lee .... thats too much to ask though;)

just the part number please...

i tried resoldering part and contacts look good i think

but still problem persists

CandyJones

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
MacBook Pro 15" 6,2

Hi I'm new here and my problem appears to resemble what is being discussed. MacBook Pro 15' 6,2. It powers up and works fine but won't charge (no green light). Tried another MagSafe, same symptom. I measured the voltages at the five pins on the DC in board and nothing shows there with magsafe plugged in or as it's being connected. Cleaned the pins on magsafe and also sockets in the connector itself. Does anyone think this is DC in board problem or the logic board? Ta, for any suggestions.

Attachments

• MacBookPro62DCin.png
    MacBookPro62DCin.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 224

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Hi I'm new here and my problem appears to resemble what is being discussed. MacBook Pro 15' 6,2. It powers up and works fine but won't charge (no green light). Tried another MagSafe, same symptom. I measured the voltages at the five pins on the DC in board and nothing shows there with magsafe plugged in or as it's being connected. Cleaned the pins on magsafe and also sockets in the connector itself. Does anyone think this is DC in board problem or the logic board? Ta, for any suggestions.

You should be seeing voltages on 3 of the 5 DC-in board pins. The middle pin is the signal to the magsafe adapter that tells it to send full current. It should be about 3.4V (approximately) when working correctly. The other 4 pins are a pair of grounds and a pair of power pins (about 16 to 18V). You should see the 16V even if the center pin is not 3.4V.

If you can get hold of another DC-in board that would tell you if that is the problem but it sounds like it is the case.

CandyJones

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
Thanks - I was measuring voltages using red on the five pins (each in turn) with black on the bare metal surrounding each black screw on the DC in board. I got no voltage at all on any of the five pins. That's how you would measure it right? So it looks like a DC in board problem...

Musicsoul78

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
UK ESSEX
Thanks - I was measuring voltages using red on the five pins (each in turn) with black on the bare metal surrounding each black screw on the DC in board. I got no voltage at all on any of the five pins. That's how you would measure it right? So it looks like a DC in board problem...

remove dc in board plug magsafe into board

you should read left to right

here is my good dc-in board

Attachments

• Photo%2022-11-2012%2000%2041%2039.jpg
    Photo%2022-11-2012%2000%2041%2039.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 953
  • Photo%2022-11-2012%2000%2041%2041.jpg
    Photo%2022-11-2012%2000%2041%2041.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 586
  • Photo%2022-11-2012%2000%2041%2036.jpg
    Photo%2022-11-2012%2000%2041%2036.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 611
Last edited:

burton420

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
ultra newbie, but want to learn

i have read this entire post with much interest. i have worked on many macbooks, replacing parts here and there to make them work, but i have never gone so far as working on the actual electronics, testing components, fuses, voltages etc.., so please bare with me...i have many questions.

i picked up a multimeter and have tried to test some points on the a1278 board i have, but i am not sure i am even using the multimeter correctly. the only reading i get on the dc in board is 0.11 when the multimeter is set to the V~ , 20m setting.

Dadioh, when you test boards outside of the machine, where to you put your ground?

thank you all for your wisdom, i have been in awe reading the amount of knowledge put out on this forum. if there are any suggestions learning resources on the net i would be very interested. thanks again.

Musicsoul78

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
UK ESSEX
I got: -0.3V,0,0,0.-0.3V with DC-in board disconnected and magsafe plugged into it.

Faulty DC-in board?

i cant be 100% sure as i cant see how your testing it but it looks that way!

never mind £15 part and your good to go. :D

----------

i have read this entire post with much interest. i have worked on many macbooks, replacing parts here and there to make them work, but i have never gone so far as working on the actual electronics, testing components, fuses, voltages etc.., so please bare with me...i have many questions.

i picked up a multimeter and have tried to test some points on the a1278 board i have, but i am not sure i am even using the multimeter correctly. the only reading i get on the dc in board is 0.11 when the multimeter is set to the V~ , 20m setting.

Dadioh, when you test boards outside of the machine, where to you put your ground?

thank you all for your wisdom, i have been in awe reading the amount of knowledge put out on this forum. if there are any suggestions learning resources on the net i would be very interested. thanks again.

check my previous post with attachments... thats where i put the ground and it works for me and candyjones

Last edited:

lee303

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Completely forgot all about this, sorry.

I'm back in on Monday, so i'll set a reminder in the ol' phone to get the values for you.

Kind regards,
Lee

Musicsoul78

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
UK ESSEX
I got

Does it mean magsafe is bad?

i have 16x 2009 820-2565a that all read 0,4.70,0,4.70,0 attached to 65w apple mag safe

reading from a multi meter set to 20. v::: DC

other multimeters give me readings of 0, 4.68, 0 , 4.68 , 0

so the 2 main reading should be between 4.66 - 4.70

so to answer you question

sounds like it buddy

----------

Completely forgot all about this, sorry.

I'm back in on Monday, so i'll set a reminder in the ol' phone to get the values for you.

Kind regards,
Lee

You the man lee

oh one more thing reading must be with laptop open and running and on battery power.....

as all other reading will be stable .

thanks lee

Musicsoul78

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
UK ESSEX
MBP 2009 13" a1278

MBP 2009 13" a1278

Problem the dc connector on the board has melted.
where can i buy a replacement part from??
Screen%20Shot%202012-11-26%20at%2000.31.28.png

thanks guys

Mirnes

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
Imagei have a water damaged a1278 Macbook Pro.
AC Adapter has slight green light.
Temporary SMC bypass boots machine: Yes
Battery' Not charging
Can you point me in the right direction, here is picture what I tested

Bosna any luck?? Imam isti problem??

lee303

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Wasn't able to get any reading from the chip in question. I've since has 2 more with the same issue, and both have also been that chip. I can get the data sheet if you like.

cmdrdata

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2011
Dallas, Texas, USA
Logic board source?

I've been out of the loop from this forum for sometime now due to health issues. In reading some of the most recent threads, it seemed that some you have access to many MBP logic boards. How do you get these and if you buy them on auction sites, how much on average do you pay for it? The reason for this inquiry is that I've just updated my mid 2009 MBP OSX to v10.8, and this MBP does not support AirPlay mirroring. Would love to get a hold of a late 2011 (or newer, non-retina) 13" MBP logic board to upgrade mine. Thanks.

Musicsoul78

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
UK ESSEX
I've been out of the loop from this forum for sometime now due to health issues. In reading some of the most recent threads, it seemed that some you have access to many MBP logic boards. How do you get these and if you buy them on auction sites, how much on average do you pay for it? The reason for this inquiry is that I've just updated my mid 2009 MBP OSX to v10.8, and this MBP does not support AirPlay mirroring. Would love to get a hold of a late 2011 (or newer, non-retina) 13" MBP logic board to upgrade mine. Thanks.

mr data welcome back ....

hope your feeling better sir!!

i have a mid 2011 logic same as lee check my previous posts with lee.

this would support your needs however the issue is simple there a chip due north east of the fan a 6 pin fet its tiny... i mean tiny most micro tips are double the width of the pins.

once i get this fixed i could maybe trade with you?
you might want the whole machine instead of the board as the mpb's changes screw mounts on the top case from 2011 onwards. to accommodate the new functions. check i fix it for the layout variants.

in the mean time... Please can help me locate and find this chip replacement?

BTW
i get all my machine from students where i work as they usually kill their machines ... Death by water mostly!

i will keep a look out for any specific boards that meet your requirements.

----------

Wasn't able to get any reading from the chip in question. I've since has 2 more with the same issue, and both have also been that chip. I can get the data sheet if you like.

thanks lee appreciate you trying to help the readings are a pain....

i knew it was that chip all along its just identifying the part...

so you had 2 with the same issue and fixed by replacing using donor boards.

who has spare 2011 dead donor boards laying about..lol

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 02.08.55.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 02.08.55.png
    549.8 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:

cmdrdata

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2011
Dallas, Texas, USA
mr data welcome back ....

hope your feeling better sir!!

i have a mid 2011 logic same as lee check my previous posts with lee.

this would support your needs however the issue is simple there a chip due north east of the fan a 6 pin fet its tiny... i mean tiny most micro tips are double the width of the pins.

once i get this fixed i could maybe trade with you?
you might want the whole machine instead of the board as the mpb's changes screw mounts on the top case from 2011 onwards. to accommodate the new functions. check i fix it for the layout variants.

in the mean time... Please can help me locate and find this chip replacement?

Music, I do not have schematic or boardview for this MBP so I am not able to tell you what kind of FET is that 6-pin device. I suspect if it is a FET, then most likely it is DUAL FET. Apple seemed to use dual FET device a lot for their control and signal logic. Here is a typical part number used in many Kxx models: SSM6N37FE. This is a dual small signal FET chip with 6 pins, available from this vendor: http://www.mouser.com/ds/1/408/SSM6N37FE_en_datasheet_091112-21869.pdf

Sorry.

Attachments

• SSM6N37FE.png
    SSM6N37FE.png
    134.9 KB · Views: 353

cmdrdata

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2011
Dallas, Texas, USA
Where I can purchase q7055 or do I need to porchase broken logic board to use for parts

Q7055 is NOT a part number. It is typically used to identify a part in a schematic, where the Q normally means transistor. The real part number should be identified in the schematic for your specific /MB or MBP. If you managed to buy a part with that number, you will most likely end up with a wrong part.

Musicsoul78

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
UK ESSEX
Music, I do not have schematic or boardview for this MBP so I am not able to tell you what kind of FET is that 6-pin device. I suspect if it is a FET, then most likely it is DUAL FET. Apple seemed to use dual FET device a lot for their control and signal logic. Here is a typical part number used in many Kxx models: SSM6N37FE. This is a dual small signal FET chip with 6 pins, available from this vendor: http://www.mouser.com/ds/1/408/SSM6N37FE_en_datasheet_091112-21869.pdf

Sorry.

nice one data!!

i have ordered today will update you on fix!

chrischris74

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Contact

Hi everyone,

I'm back from holiday and I re-read all the 27 pages from this thread.
Just to resume I have the green light on magsafe but no battery is detected and the battery is not charged. Battery is right, Macbook A1278.
Is someone tell me the value of this resistor (see picture)? Actually there is a short-circuit but maybe it's not a resistor my eyes are old ;).

Thanks.

Bonjour DjErase

J' ai essayé de vous contactez sur ABC. J' ai un problème sur macbook pro 2010 et comme nous avons la même langue, je voudrais savoir si nous pouvions échanger des astuces. Merci.

Jim cooper

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
England
a1278 water damage, dim mag safe and no backlight.

Hi guys need some help really been reading you excellent posts on mac repairs.

I have a macbook pro a1278 which I bought from Ebay with water damage I have put it though the ultra sonic cleaner looks to be ok no burnt components .
Unfortunately it will only turn on on smc bypass,when connected to the magsafe . It will turn on on a good battery as I took a battery I had from another 1278 and fan run as normal.
when you plug in the magsafe you can see a very dim green light and a orange light for a brief second when you connect it . What I did notice was that the mac still charged the good battery I don't know if this helps ?
Also I am having problems with the backlight . It's not working at all I have checked the fuse in the pictures on here also the diode and that reads 12v on the dmm I have also checked the wled drive with the measurements from here.
Is there a way of knowing if the wled is dead ?

Help here would be most appreciated:confused:

----------

Hi guys need some help really been reading you excellent posts on mac repairs.

I have a macbook pro a1278 which I bought from Ebay with water damage I have put it though the ultra sonic cleaner looks to be ok no burnt components .
Unfortunately it will only turn on on smc bypass,when connected to the magsafe . It will turn on on a good battery as I took a battery I had from another 1278 and fan run as normal.
when you plug in the magsafe you can see a very dim green light and a orange light for a brief second when you connect it . What I did notice was that the mac still charged the good battery I don't know if this helps ?
Also I am having problems with the backlight . It's not working at all I have checked the fuse in the pictures on here also the diode and that reads 12v on the dmm I have also checked the wled drive with the measurements from here.
Is there a way of knowing if the wled is dead ?

Help here would be most appreciated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.