Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
That makes it an excellent deal since that's 50% off.

Just got myself a copy for my Mac Pro.

Just a FYI.

mr_applestorereceipt-082809.png

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Where did you find this out? I chatted with Apple and they linked me to the $499 version. It isn't on the EDU store when I search.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Where did you find this out? I chatted with Apple and they linked me to the $499 version. It isn't on the EDU store when I search.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Like I said, I just bought it from the Apple [Retail] Store for this price.

corbywan

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
What kind of ID did you need to show that you were a student? And what kind of student? College? High School? Does it matter? How about teachers?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
What kind of ID did you need to show that you were a student? And what kind of student? College? High School? Does it matter? How about teachers?

It's the academic discount which is the same requisites for buying computers and other academic software (except 10.6 Server is just a discounted full version). All they checked was my college ID.

So you'd have to be teacher, student, or faculty at a higher education accredited institution (they need to be able to find you school in their database).

You didn't actually mention where you got it in the OP, which is why I asked. Thanks anyway.

I apologize; I thought I posted that I got the price at the Apple Store.

corbywan

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
Wow. Not that I don't believe or trust the OP, but can anyone else verify this? I can't find it documented anywhere. Is this offered online to those with access to the higher ed store?

If this is legit (and not some fluke which does occur) I'm going to "borrow" my friend who is in grad school and head to Apple!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Wow. Not that I don't believe or trust the OP, but can anyone else verify this? I can't find it documented anywhere. Is this offered online to those with access to the higher ed store?

If this is legit (and not some fluke which does occur) I'm going to "borrow" my friend who is in grad school and head to Apple!

You know you can call your local Apple Store.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Sorta OT, but would you mind putting up the default desktop that ships with SL server? The blue one is pretty nice looking.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009

Just called my closest store in Orland Park, IL. They are saying it will stay $499. My Uni has it for $250 but only for campus use, not personal.

What store did you buy from OP?

corbywan

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR

I could, but I don't want to be "that guy" who calls and says (read with voice of Kip from Napolean Dynamite), "Yeah, um, I was reading on this online forum that you're selling Snow Leopard Server for, like, $249 to students. Is that true? No? Dang it!"

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I don't know, I just asked if there was a student discount when I bought it, the lady went to ask her manager and then she came back and told me it was $249 for students.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
I don't know, I just asked if there was a student discount when I bought it, the lady went to ask her manager and then she came back and told me it was $249 for students.

Where you bought it would be helpful.

I called the Apple Store in Chicago. Same thing. They are not aware of any discount for students, institutions yes, but not students. I don't want to call B.S... but....

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Where you bought it would be helpful.

I called the Apple Store in Chicago. Same thing. They are not aware of any discount for students, institutions yes, but not students. I don't want to call B.S... but....

Shadyside in Pittsburgh.

And you can call whatever you want. :rolleyes:

corbywan

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
Hey now, let's play nice. Like I said, it might have been a fluke. A floor person asking a manager-type person who didn't know exactly what the arrangement was goofed up and accidentally gave the OP a crazy good deal when he shouldn't have. It happens. I don't think the OP was being shady, I just think he lucked out.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Hey now, let's play nice. Like I said, it might have been a fluke. A floor person asking a manager-type person who didn't know exactly what the arrangement was goofed up and accidentally gave the OP a crazy good deal when he shouldn't have. It happens. I don't think the OP was being shady, I just think he lucked out.

He just thinks he's the all knowing authority on this matter.
Let him have his ego. :p

Sorta OT, but would you mind putting up the default desktop that ships with SL server? The blue one is pretty nice looking.

Enjoy:
DefaultDesktopServer.jpg

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
He just thinks he's the all knowing authority on this matter.
Let him have his ego. :p

Way to make ridiculous claims. Now, where did I say I was the authority, in fact, you are the one that made the claim. I have contacted numerous stores including Shadyside and was told there is no student price for SL Server. If I really thought I was "all-knowing" I wouldn't be calling these stores to substantiate your claim. I would just state my all-knowing knowledge on the subject.

Save the personal attacks. I have only called into question your claim, not your character. I see you may have trouble being civil though.

Anyhow, mind posting your receipt so that others can get actually get this deal?

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
what does this actually do that regualr SL cant?

If you have to ask, it's not for you. But here you go:
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/

I work at a school so instead of using my student discount and getting 10.6 Server right away and having my school comp me, I had them put a PO, purchase order, to get 10.6 server.

I work at my school as well, but since it is a state school all the orders come out of the State budget, hence I am unable to make a personal purchase even if I were to give them the money. Oh well.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
If you have to ask, it's not for you. But here you go:
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/

I work at my school as well, but since it is a state school all the orders come out of the State budget, hence I am unable to make a personal purchase even if I were to give them the money. Oh well.

I know what you mean. Just like teachers that buy stuff for school, sometimes IT people have to buy things yourself.

Good thing I establish a great relationship with top people to get almost anything I need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.