Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VanessaLP

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
Can't do step 6!

Help! I followed the steps given, installed Snow Leopard, then tried to go back to disk utility and partition the HD back to it's original size, but it wouldn't let me. I grabbed the little handle in the corner, but it would only decrease the size, then I tried to type in the numbers, but it kept going back to the smaller number when I hit enter or apply. Can anyone explain why? Thank you.

Donniboi

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2013
Try resizing up the way

In an attempt to get my 2007 Mac Mini back into working condition after installing Lion, I installed 10.4 onto the main partition and 10.6 onto the smaller partition.

After using them for a while, I decided to swap them over, but the Snow Leopard install disc kept saying I couldn't install on the main partition.

I tried repairing the disc and permissions with Disk Utility, but that made no difference. I used the partition resizing trick from this forum, but it didn't work either.

I then noticed that the two partitions did not add up to the full disc size - I had a gap. I resized the main partition upwards to use the spare disc capacity, restarted the install disc and it worked! My Mac Mini 2007 is currently installing Snow Lion 10.7 onto the main partition.

THANKS FOR THE HELP.

Last edited:

woodyhiii

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
10.6 procedure

Just moving around the partition then returning it to its original size didn't work for me, and I'm not running PGP. How I got 10.6 to install:
1. Boot into 10.6 install DVD
2. Run the disk utility from there, resize the primary partition (don't add a new one) by decreasing it about 5 gigs
3. Commit the change by hitting "Apply"
4. Reboot, again into the 10.6 install DVD
5. You can then install 10.6
6. Once 10.6 is installed, use the disk utility on the desktop (you can boot into the primary HD at this point) to resize the primary partition to its original size.
Hope this helps others...

Sending a thank you. You helped me a great deal. Worked perfectly for me and also step #4 was not necessary. Here I am in late 2015 and your post is still a winner!!! Woody

be236

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
10.6 procedure

Just moving around the partition then returning it to its original size didn't work for me, and I'm not running PGP. How I got 10.6 to install:
1. Boot into 10.6 install DVD
2. Run the disk utility from there, resize the primary partition (don't add a new one) by decreasing it about 5 gigs
3. Commit the change by hitting "Apply"
4. Reboot, again into the 10.6 install DVD
5. You can then install 10.6
6. Once 10.6 is installed, use the disk utility on the desktop (you can boot into the primary HD at this point) to resize the primary partition to its original size.
Hope this helps others...

These steps worked for me! Trying to install Snow Leopard from MacBook to iMac 2006 hard drive in Target Disk Mode. Followed above steps and now the icon to Install is available after reboot! Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.