Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Again, it's all about the type of usage. I feel pretty confident about stating that people that use their macs for serious work, not just browsing Internet, emailing, watching movies etc., are annoyed by a lot of superficial nonsense introduced in Lion.
I think the Apple programmers are getting downright lazy or just overly confident in their market position (or not having enough programmers). What about giving us some new, really useful functions, and not BS like launchpad, resume and versions.
Let me suggest: improved file system, resolution independence, better Finder, better graphics support etc..etc.. These are REAL upgrades, not the bogus nonsense Apple served us in Lion.

ahdfox

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010
Here
Lion nonsense

Sad thing is Lion could be great-- but it's not. And it's the first Mac OS I've ever seen that I don't want. How could they screw it up that badly? I even want to want it, but I just won't put up with ridiculous bugginess and poorly-thought out workflow changes like mandatory autosave for all applications and lots of missing keyboard accelerators/shortcuts. We've still got 10.6, after all. For now, I'm just telling everyone I know to not buy a new Mac, at least for a few months until someone at Apple comes to their senses.

Again, it's all about the type of usage. I feel pretty confident about stating that people that use their macs for serious work, not just browsing Internet, emailing, watching movies etc., are annoyed by a lot of superficial nonsense introduced in Lion.
I think the Apple programmers are getting downright lazy or just overly confident in their market position (or not having enough programmers). What about giving us some new, really useful functions, and not BS like launchpad, resume and versions.
Let me suggest: improved file system, resolution independence, better Finder, better graphics support etc..etc.. These are REAL upgrades, not the bogus nonsense Apple served us in Lion.

----------

Every Mac OS release sucks depending on who you ask. Some people think everything after Panther has been utterly useless. Some even think OS X is not much better than Classic! (seriously). Point is, people aren't big fans of changes...at least initially. I'm no exception.

People hated Tiger because they felt the UI was uglier (capsulated blue buttons, loss of pinstripes/brushed metal), Spotlight was lame, Finder unusable, and overall, Tiger was slower, buggier, more of a resource hog and it broke this and that blah blah blah...
They thought it was a step down from Panther which was the king of all OS X releases.

People also hated Leopard when it debuted; They mocked the 3D dock and its loss of functionality (e.g. no list view, stacks), as well as the transparent menubar (people even laughed at the slide when Steve unveiled it). Others thought the UI changes were dire, full of fluff and hampered usability/functionality (grey folders and glassy buttons). Also it was slower, buggier, more of a resource hog and it broke this and that blah blah blah...
Compared to Tiger, the king of all OS X releases, Leopard was a joke.

In Snow Leopard people thought its Expose implementation sucked and was a step down from Leopard/Tiger (now people are crying for it back in Lion), they also bemoaned the fact that the UI changes hadn't been corrected, and that there were no new features and Finder was still broken so there was no point upgrading. Also the classic; 'buggier, slower, it broke this and that' blah blah blah. Compared to Leopard, the king of all OS X releases, Snow Leopard was nothing more than a service pack release.

Every version of Mac OS released 'sucks' in one way or another. Yet people somehow manage to survive them...10.7/Lion will be no exception.

Well, not true in my case. Six months in, and there's no way I'm switching to Lion. Been with Mac OS since I left Windows 3.11 and picked up a PowerBook with 7.01 on it, so, so long ago. I want nothing to do with a computer that forces me to save everything I type, has a bunch of missing keyboard shortcuts, and is still intolerably buggy on a xx.2 release.

----------

I have a feeling there are a lot of people "stuck with Lion" which is why its has as much market share as it has, which isn't much.

Simply ditch your Lion machine (I returned mine!) and go to the refurb store. Lots of discounted non-Lion hardware!!

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
I installed Lion in my MBP with 8GB of RAM.. but I didn't like it. Went back to Snow Leopard. It feels much smoother and feels more stable. I hope they fix Lion some day or come up with a new version.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
It's sad that Lion sucks, Mountain Lion ain't gonna be anyway better off. My 2010 MBP is coming in 2 solid years with SL, and current generation MBPs are not backward compatible to SL. It would seem the prospect of getting a new Mac with a proper working OS X is non-existent.

I guess the idea of "thinking different" and the golden years of Mac OS X experience went along with Steve Jobs - into his grave... :mad:

boilingpoint

macrumors member
May 18, 2011
Apple, Come on!!!

Have you apple engineer tested Windows 8? Do you guys think your OS can compete with Windows 8?

History would repeat again soon.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
well from someone who has tried windows 8 consumer preview it sucks, lion is quirky and mountain lion i have no idea it may be the same and linux especially ubuntu is a bag of hurt now the new os's suck anymore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.