Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
So I am about $300 short of having a Mac Pro and 23" ACD. I planned on waiting anyway because I want to see if they update the Nano on Sept. 12 or around that time. But, I don't really have the extra money to pay for the Nano outright anyway.

There is really no point to this thread other than my impatience. Anyone else almost close to buying something but not quite there?

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
gallinger said:
you could get a free nano if ur a student

I am a student. And I want to get a free nano, but I have to pay for it upfront. Which I don't really have the cash for that. I may be able to have it by that time though.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Yeah, that's the thing… you do pay upfront. I got the free Nano, but we haven't gotten the rebate check yet (sent three days ago, mostly because I messed up sending Apple the right stuff) but it's worth it. :)

Trippy Jr

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
Well, it seems like you'll lose out anyway - the Back to School promotion runs out by the time Paris starts, so you won't get one even if they do update. And you can't afford it now anyway... better wait and ask for one for Christmas. ;)

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Trippy Jr said:
Well, it seems like you'll lose out anyway - the Back to School promotion runs out by the time Paris starts, so you won't get one even if they do update. And you can't afford it now anyway... better wait and ask for one for Christmas. ;)

AFAIK the promotion ends the 16th. So if they annouce the 12th, I could order the new one.

I just spoke with my mom. She has pledged to donate $100 to the fund :)

damado

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
Do you know until how long we have to mail it out? I did the free nano thing (recieved the nano already) for my mac pro, but the computer won't actually be here until the end of sept. I assume once I get it I just fill out a form somewhere to get the rebate?

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
quruli said:
:confused: I don't know what that means

Anyway do you really have your mind set on the Apple 23" Display? Dell and other companies make just as good, of not better, displays for a significantly cheaper price.

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
KingYaba said:
:confused: I don't know what that means

Anyway do you really have your mind set on the Apple 23" Display? Dell and other companies make just as good, of not better, displays for a significantly cheaper price.

AFAIK: As far as i know.

I am set on an ACD. I like them. I like the styling. Call me vain, I don't care. I don't think I could stare at a Dell monitor.

I may change my mind. But I don't know... Plus. As dumb as this may sound. The Apple display will hold value. If I go to sell this machine 3 years down the road, I will get more money having the Apple Display than the Dell. More than the initial price difference I would think.

adilettante

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2006
quruli said:
I am set on an ACD. I like them. I like the styling. Call me vain, I don't care. I don't think I could stare at a Dell monitor.
I actually think the Dell 2407s look pretty good:
dell2705.JPG

They also have media card readers, a ton of input options, and cost about $200 less than the student price for ACDs (currently about $703 on sale vs. $899). If you went with a Dell you would be $200 closer to your goal. IMO $200 is a high premium for a slightly nicer casing (and fewer features).

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
adilettante said:
dell2705.JPG

They also have media card readers, a ton of input options, and cost about $200 less than the student price for ACDs (currently about $703 on sale vs. $899). If you went with a Dell you would be $200 closer to your goal. IMO $200 is a high premium for a slightly nicer casing (and fewer features).

It looks fine. A little thick. Also, I don't need those features. I don't need a media reader as I already have one. I don't need the extra inputs.

$200 savings is tempting. Not enough to move from the Apple Displays. I will reach my goal, it just sucks I am so close yet so far.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
adilettante said:
dell2705.JPG

yeah i seriously don't know why people even consider paying so much more for so much less JUST because of the casing. I think the new 07 dells are pretty nice looking and they have the alum. now to really match the pro lines.

that on top of the fact that the dell offers so many more ports..... :rolleyes:

to the OP: you're obviously on a budget with your purchase. wouldn't it be smarter to knock out $200 of the price? heck, you even get a bigger screen...

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
xfiftyfour said:
yeah i seriously don't know why people even consider paying so much more for so much less JUST because of the casing. I think the new 07 dells are pretty nice looking and they have the alum. now to really match the pro lines.

that on top of the fact that the dell offers so many more ports..... :rolleyes:

to the OP: you're obviously on a budget with your purchase. wouldn't it be smarter to knock out $200 of the price? heck, you even get a bigger screen...

$200 is not MUCH more in my opinion. Plus that was my original goal, to get an ACD. I know the Dells are there. And I have looked, but I like Apple products. I don't like Dell products.

You can't sell me on extra ports, because I don't care. Also, last time i checked (just now) the Dell doesn't have firewire. But it does have a bunch of other junk I don't need, which I am sure attribute to its bulky design.

Yes, I am on a budget, one that consists of getting a Mac Pro and a 23" ACD. I am simply impatient. It will only take me a few extra weeks if that to have the rest of the cash. I have saved nearly $3300, plus I just found out that I can get the Mac Pro for about $126 cheaper by buying from Mac Mall. After rebate.

You consider 1" that much bigger? Seriously.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
quruli said:
$200 is not MUCH more in my opinion. Plus that was my original goal, to get an ACD. I know the Dells are there. And I have looked, but I like Apple products. I don't like Dell products.

You can't sell me on extra ports, because I don't care. Also, last time i checked (just now) the Dell doesn't have firewire. But it does have a bunch of other junk I don't need, which I am sure attribute to its bulky design.

Yes, I am on a budget, one that consists of getting a Mac Pro and a 23" ACD. I am simply impatient. It will only take me a few extra weeks if that to have the rest of the cash. I have saved nearly $3300, plus I just found out that I can get the Mac Pro for about $126 cheaper by buying from Mac Mall. After rebate.

People around here love selling the dell monitors, but I would never use the media reader or extra inputs either. And I love the firewire on the ACDs (I have a 20"er). If the dell makes you happy then fine, but if it really doesn't do anything for you (it doesn't for me), then it's worth a little more to get what you really like. Stick to your plan. :)

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
quruli said:

wow. calm down. it's your money, i don't care how you spend it. get your ACD.

and don't post in an open forum if you don't expect people to comment on your buy. what did you want for responses? "uhm.. congrats? that's so exciting! wow!" ??

PS: i didn't say 1" was a BIG difference, i simply said it was bigger. which it is. also, your ACD is only .3" thinner than the dell. do YOU consider a quarter inch that much smaller? Seriously. :rolleyes:

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
xfiftyfour said:
wow. calm down. it's your money, i don't care how you spend it. get your ACD.

and don't post in an open forum if you don't expect people to comment on your buy. what did you want for responses? "uhm.. congrats? that's so exciting! wow!" ??

PS: i didn't say 1" was a BIG difference, i simply said it was bigger. which it is. also, your ACD is only .3" thinner than the dell. do YOU consider a quarter inch that much smaller? Seriously. :rolleyes:

How was I not calm? Obvisouly you do care how I spend it considering you took it upon yourself to make a suggestion as to what I should do with my money.

Then you say, don't post if you don't want people to comment on your buy. Again, this shows that yes you do care enough to comment on my buy.

I didn't ask for suggestions or help. I simply posted a pointless thread (and acknowledged it) much like many of the "Just got my MacBook!" "I am bringing in the box that contains my iMac right now!!!"

No, .3" isn't a huge difference. However you were trying to sell (even though you don't care what I do with my money) on saving $200 to get more ports and 1" larger, as if 1" larger is the deal maker. .3" isn't a deal maker for me, but I like Apple stuff. Done.

Anyhow, might as well let this go to wasteland before someone gets in trouble. If every likes saving money, why arent you all buying Dell PC's? I mean, you can even run OS X on them. YOu could probably save a few hundred bucks.. :rolleyes:

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
quruli said:
How was I not calm? Obvisouly you do care how I spend it considering you took it upon yourself to make a suggestion as to what I should do with my money.

Then you say, don't post if you don't want people to comment on your buy. Again, this shows that yes you do care enough to comment on my buy.

I didn't ask for suggestions or help. I simply posted a pointless thread (and acknowledged it) much like many of the "Just got my MacBook!" "I am bringing in the box that contains my iMac right now!!!"

No, .3" isn't a huge difference. However you were trying to sell (even though you don't care what I do with my money) on saving $200 to get more ports and 1" larger, as if 1" larger is the deal maker. .3" isn't a deal maker for me, but I like Apple stuff. Done.

Anyhow, might as well let this go to wasteland before someone gets in trouble. If every likes saving money, why arent you all buying Dell PC's? I mean, you can even run OS X on them. YOu could probably save a few hundred bucks.. :rolleyes:
Making a suggestion and actually CARING are two very, very different things. Trust me, I don't care what you do.

And actually, no, you can't run OSX on a Dell. There are hacks, but it's still a very unstable system, as well as being completely illegal. Oh, and let's not over exaggerate what anyone has said: Dell monitors are quality (actually, they're the EXACT same LCD as an ACD, with different backlighting), but no one has suggested that other dell hardware compares to Apple's.

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
xfiftyfour said:
Making a suggestion and actually CARING are two very, very different things. Trust me, I don't care what you do.

And actually, no, you can't run OSX on a Dell. There are hacks, but it's still a very unstable system, as well as being completely illegal. Oh, and let's not over exaggerate what anyone has said: Dell monitors are quality (actually, they're the EXACT same LCD as an ACD, with different backlighting), but no one has suggested that other dell hardware compares to Apple's.

Yes, Apple clearly uses a 24" panel in their 23". Makes sense.

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
xfiftyfour said:
Wow. You're so smart.

Link. Link.

I didn't mean size-wise, but hey, nice try at witty.

Wow. Nice try. I am not buying a 20". I am done with this, but you said:

"Dell monitors are quality (actually, they're the EXACT same LCD as an ACD, with different backlighting), but no one has suggested that other dell hardware compares to Apple's"

That is a blanket statement. Which in context, would refer to the 23" dsiplay I plan to buy. You could have said "The 20" ACD actually used the exact same panel as the Dell 20". So analyze your own statements before you try to belittle my intelligence. Thanks.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
quruli said:
Wow. Nice try. I am not buying a 20". I am done with this, but you said:

"Dell monitors are quality (actually, they're the EXACT same LCD as an ACD, with different backlighting), but no one has suggested that other dell hardware compares to Apple's"

That is a blanket statement. Which in context, would refer to the 23" dsiplay I plan to buy. You could have said "The 20" ACD actually used the exact same panel as the Dell 20". So analyze your own statements before you try to belittle my intelligence. Thanks.
I'm done with this. You're grasping at air to come up with a good argument, but in the end you really can't justify being so upset that someone made a simple suggestion at a way you could save money... in a post where you'd written that you were short of buying your "dream" system.

Good luck with your buy. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
xfiftyfour said:
I'm done with this. You're grasping at air to come up with a good argument, but in the end you really can't justify being so upset that someone made a simple suggestion at a way you could save money... in a post where you'd written that you were short of buying your "dream" system.

Good luck with your buy. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

I don't need a good argument. I didn't come here to argue or to get suggestions. I was simply venting frustration like tons of people here do.

Does it make you feel good to think you upset me? I mean come on man. I am far from upset, in fact I could care less. But I am glad you can walking away knowing you made someone on the internet upset. Congrats I am sure you will be happy.

serpent

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2006
guruli, PM me I'll give you my buddies extension over a MacMall. I'm sure you already have enuf saved up to get what you need!

Serpent

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.