Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Why would apple want to keep on coming out with large capacity devices when they are spending tons of money developing and marketing iCloud and iTunes Match? They are trying to get people to understand they no longer need to store all their music and files on their device, since it can be stored in the cloud.

they just updated their storage options. you can get 20gb for .99 per month. you can get 200gb for just $3.99 per month.

so why not just buy a 16gb device and store everything in the cloud?

Because I don't wish to use the cloud for storing my music; I'm old school - I still buy CDs, play them and rip them to my iTunes on my computer. (I have thousands and thousands of CDs). Indeed, I still buy - and read (and occasionally, write) books, real books, that is. (And yes, I have thousands and thousands of books - in fact, I am quite convinced that my books breed when my back is turned).

And I like the idea of being able to physically transport my entire music library in one nice little portable device. Yes, we 'understand that you no longer need to store music and files on our devices' but we still want to be able to do so.

It is not just a repudiation of a more modern - doubtless technologically efficient - way of storing data, from my perspective, I must say that there are also issues of trust and questions about ownership of that data. This is also why my MBA has a SSD drive with 512GB, and - the happy day when that capacity increases - and I need to upgrade - I shall happily do so…...

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Why would apple want to keep on coming out with large capacity devices when they are spending tons of money developing and marketing iCloud and iTunes Match? They are trying to get people to understand they no longer need to store all their music and files on their device, since it can be stored in the cloud. they just updated their storage options. you can get 20gb for .99 per month. you can get 200gb for just $3.99 per month.

Don't ask us, ask Apple. They're the ones that just announced a 128GB iPhone. If they are "trying to get people to understand they no longer need to store all their music on their device" then why produce a 128GB iPhone? Why not just produce a 16GB iPhone and store everything in the cloud?

That is simply the first point. The remainder, that has been repeatedly mentioned in this thread, there is more to the iPod Classic than simply a large capacity.

Manny72

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2014
I have a 80Gig Classic I use but I'll probably sell it after I get my 128Gig 6 plus.

damuse

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
Don't ask us, ask Apple. They're the ones that just announced a 128GB iPhone. If they are "trying to get people to understand they no longer need to store all their music on their device" then why produce a 128GB iPhone? Why not just produce a 16GB iPhone and store everything in the cloud?

Larger capacity iOS devices I'm going to suggest are more for apps (which are too big to run off the cloud) and taking pictures/video, rather than storing music.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I wanted to but I didn't have enough money. I'm probably going to get my father a gently used one for Christmas this year. He's got a massive music collection and it's been time for him to get a larger iPod for years. He's currently using both a 8GB fourth generation nano and a 8GB sixth generation nano with a small portion of his collection each. I think he'll love it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

That is simply the first point. The remainder, that has been repeatedly mentioned in this thread, there is more to the iPod Classic than simply a large capacity.

Exactly, and very well said.

Yes, those of us who love the classic are not blind to the whole idea of technological change and what change can bring about; however, the classic met the needs of some of us extremely well.

jkundi

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2014
Just bought one today in Silver after a week of searching, aint no way I'm paying £350 to £400 for one. Tried every Argos branch but ended up being at the local PC World.

Wish I had bought acouple of them now on the day of the announcement, pretty sure my local Argos had many. :rolleyes:

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
I've still got one on reserve at Argos, UK stock is dwindling. Been thinking a lot over the past few days, the classic is where it all began, for me and many others.

Would it be used if I had a 128GB iPhone 6 Plus, probably not, however the pricing of the plus is £799, or I stick with my iPhone 5 and use my reservation to good use. Decisions, nostalgia verses modern technology!

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
My 3rd Gen iPod (2003) just bit the dust last month. It will crash any computer that tries to sync with it. My 1st Gen iPod (2001) still runs like a champ though! I wish iPhones could last 13yrs, that would be awesome!

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
Is Argos outside of the USA? I've been looking everywhere for a week to try and buy one of these. My 60GB Video (of course) just crapped out. The best price I've seen is on Amazon.com...about $90.00 above the norm...:rolleyes:

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA

Maybe they didn't just introduce a 128GB iphone for music...maybe it's for apps and movies and other things that aren't easily accessible when stored in the cloud.
whats the point of having lots of GB's when you can just subscribe to iTunes match?
When you use the cloud, your using data, not everyone wants to or can afford to pay for that data if they heavily listen to music. Or some people listen to music where they have bad reception...maybe they go camping or maybe their work building just isn't in a great cellular area. Also, what about people with iPod touches who only get cloud services in wifi areas.

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
I haven't had a good opportunity to search for a back-up Classic but if I come across one I will purchase it.
Simply put, a number of we iPod users bought them to listen to music. Weird, huh? I load mine with lossless music ripped from my CDs. (Personal preference. You have yours.) So sound quality is very important to me. Therefore the Cloud won't work for me. Naysayers will never convince those of us that love the Classic that there is better way.

LNYMRKO

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
My classic died a while back and I never thought much of it, but after them being discontinued I couldn't let go forever and rushed out and managed to pickup the very last one in stock at a local retailer! (OfficeWorks)

I prefer the classic to keep my ENTIRE library on, and just have my most played artists/albums/playlists on my iPhone. That being said I'll probably still get the 128GB iPhone 6 or 6+ because you can never have enough room! :p

Attachments

• Photo 15-09-2014 2 03 51 pm.jpg
    Photo 15-09-2014 2 03 51 pm.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 122

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I haven't bought a new iPod since 2003, but I always told myself I'd get a new classic before or right when they were discontinued. It was tough, but I got both a silver and a black one this week. I really REALLY wanted the silver, so I ordered it online, but then I saw our local Walmart had 4x black ones left in the case, so I grabbed one of those too as a backup.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Why would apple want to keep on coming out with large capacity devices when they are spending tons of money developing and marketing iCloud and iTunes Match? They are trying to get people to understand they no longer need to store all their music and files on their device, since it can be stored in the cloud.

they just updated their storage options. you can get 20gb for .99 per month. you can get 200gb for just $3.99 per month.

Bandwidth is not unlimited.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Is Argos outside of the USA? I've been looking everywhere for a week to try and buy one of these. My 60GB Video (of course) just crapped out. The best price I've seen is on Amazon.com...about $90.00 above the norm...:rolleyes:

Yes Argos is in England.

Prices in the UK are crazy, £300+ on Amazon!

Replying to another comment, "The Cloud" is a great concept, in practice not so much, I use a gym that is underground, work in a concrete building and visit parents that live in a village. Cloud coverage is poor in all of those!

Last edited:

koolaid-drinker

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Kingsport,Tn
I don't think that you appreciate the value of the unique qualities of the iPod Classic:
  • 128GB < 160GB by a significant amount.
  • Display resolution on the Classic is fine for what it is. Navigating through music, video, or podcast library.
  • Physical interface. The clickwheel is as "dated" as a computer keyboard with physical keys. It is not possible to navigate a touch device solely by touch... one must be looking at the screen to see what is being displayed. With the click wheel, some operations like pause, next/prev track, etc. can be done solely by touch.

While I can understand why an iPod Touch would be better for you personally, it is just that... a personal preference.

For the rest of us, with the discontinuing of the iPod Classic, there is no alternative.

With iTunes in the Cloud, you really don't need large storage...
I keep my 150GB library on the cloud and stream a large portion of my music through wifi.

If I listen to a few albums quite a bit, I download them to the device; but all in all, I don't need the large storage anymore.

My wife's iPod classic just died and I am replacing it with a iPhone.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
The majority of my ipod usage is whilst in the car - what about people like me? These cloud services are useless to me and when my 2007 ipod finally dies I'm totally screwed.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
True about the capacity, but ....

There are still some general rules about the capacities that work for the majority of people....

With the current situation out there (16GB thumb drives regularly available for as little as $10 or so each, and 64GB models for $30ish), people are expecting a player with dedicated, internal storage (non expandable) to hold at least 2x or more those capacities. Otherwise, you've got plenty of modern car stereos with USB ports which play your music collection of MP3s just fine from the thumb drives.

I think that's why the 160GB capacity is viewed by many as "reasonable", while there's very little relative interest in an iPod with only a 30GB or 40GB capacity these days.

In any case? If Apple wanted to release a successor to the iPod Classic, I think it would have to be a re-engineered device anyway. Among other things, people would expect it could do bluetooth audio streaming and support wireless headsets. At that point, Apple may as well put a PCIe flash drive in it, just like the 256GB or 512GB drives used in the new Macbooks and Mac Pro towers.

For some people 160 GB isn't enough. For others, the original 5 GB was too much. It's not some magic number that made the Classic inherently superior.

The reality is the drive used in the iPod classic was discontinued quite some time ago and Apple was using up their inventory.

Sales volumes for the iPod Classic were nowhere near the level to justify Apple having the drive manufactured just for them. And the research and manufacturing costs of a flash-based version would be absurd and pointless.

It's gone. There was absolutely no way for Apple to continue manufacturing it, except perhaps with a much smaller flash drive.

The market for it is not there, and no amount of posts pretending otherwise will change that.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
The majority of my ipod usage is whilst in the car - what about people like me? These cloud services are useless to me and when my 2007 ipod finally dies I'm totally screwed.

you could always subscribe to some mobile hotspot device. keep it plugged into the car 12v outlet.

velo

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
Geezus...

When will some people get it through their heads that not everybody can or wants to store GB's of data in the cloud and then stream.

Data costs money. Coverage isn't availabe everywhere.
Wifi isn't available in every corner of the world.
People like carrying their music when they travel. You know..a time for being disconnected and enjoying life and leisure.

Do I worry about being connected, having enough data, my connection being solid enough to stream?

Or do I just press play on a small device?

Sheesh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.