Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
I was in the Apple store in Columbus this morning and they had Jaguar loaded on one of the new 17" iMacs. if you guys have used it then forgive my ignorance but i thought I'd point out a few things i thought was cool...

first the ichat was nice. i dont have anything other than an IM screen name and i only looked at it for a bit, but it definately is going to replace the forementioned program.

sherlock was really great. i looked up departing flights in and out of columbus, i checked local tv listings, stock prices, movie showings, ebay auctions and yellow pages... (few orher options also) really great stuff. the interfacce was nice and easy to use...

search command from the finder screen...

again, if you guys know all this i apologize, ive been out of town for the last month, living in hotels with no internet, so im a bit behind...

to answer the question, yes! worth the price..

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
real world?
i think it flows better than im.. im not a big user of the search function so that menu bar wont help me much. the ebay functions quite nice (gets me further away from IE) the tv listings is great addition...
oh and by far the coolest addition is the translation tool. i cant tell you how many times i have to scour the net to translate latin to english, or german to english or whatnot. very nice. a dictionary and thesaurus, again.. amazing everday tools i use, built in now.
movie listings is great.. i go to movie tickets.com all too often, it would be nice if i could purchase tickets online thru the sherlock..

thats my real world, and these tools fit perfectly..

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Originally posted by HasanDaddy
cr2sh

thanks for the report.................I think I'm the only person on this board who has yet to use Jaguar

No, you are not! ;)

I resisted to install Jaguar dev seeds on my machines since I use them to earn money. Risk is too high and I don't have much time to play around with ß-versions. I wait for the real thing, read some reviews to know if there are maybe issues about switching to the new version and then I'll go for it.

'til then it is enough for me to follow things by reading the articles and rumor sites.

groovebuster

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
No you're not...

:0

I sold my pismo in hopes to get a new PowerMac dual 800, but I never bought the Dual 800... I have to see what comes out next week!

so for about 2 months I've been killing myself with a homebuilt pc and wxppro...... what a joke

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
How is the SPeed?

I just took my mom to Fry's to show here the emac and imacg4 and am very close to getting her to switch *(back) to mac... but I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the speed of the 700mhz G4 in the two computers running 10.1.5

I came fromt he 500mhz G3 Pismo and it was decent, but hoped for a nice boost using the newer stuff.,,,, just wasn't impressed.. I hope 10.2 is as good as I've been hearing as far as speed boosts for the interface... maybe it's just that I've been using the PC.. it sucks, but win32 os's are very snappy since they let the GPU draw the screen rather than the CPU.. hopefully with quartzxpress we'll see the same snappiness....

can you give me good news?

imud

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by DannyZR2
hopefully with quartzxpress we'll see the same snappiness....

For a safe relaxing journey youll be glad you chose the Quartz Express. With our gpu rendered seats you wont have to wait to find a seat,and our revolutionary composited windowing means youll recieve simply the best views of Paris, London and Barcelona. You'll also notice considerably faster jorneys with our G4 dual motor engine. Our prices are competive,so call us today,for the crispest service,in anti-aliased coach travelling.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Originally posted by DannyZR2
How is the SPeed?

I've been using the PC.. it sucks, but win32 os's are very snappy since they let the GPU draw the screen rather than the CPU.. hopefully with quartzxpress we'll see the same snappiness....

Windoze pcs most definitely do not use the GPU to draw their 2d stuff. it's just a plain old frame buffer, like any other pre-10.2 mac. I have a duron 700 at home and while it's speedy, it does not use my gf2mx400's 3d acceleration for any 2d sprites.
As far as I know, 10.2 will be the only OS in existence that will actually treat the OS as one big 3d environment

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
OS 9?

Whats the funtionality of Classic? I have a couple of Programs I don't want to bbot, and the upgrades for them ould make jaguar cost about a grand;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.