Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
Sorry, but that's not true.

show me someone who bought an IPAD 1/2 before and was disappointed with the screen. show me someone who had bought an IPAD 1/2 and wanted to return it because the screen is pixalated. remember that there was no retina display at that time. so how can it not be true. so i guess people who wanted to buy an Ipad 1/2 before had second thought about buying one as retina display is coming, right ? i raised my case...

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
show me someone who bought an IPAD 1/2 before and was disappointed with the screen. show me someone who had bought an IPAD 1/2 and wanted to return it because the screen is pixalated. remember that there was no retina display at that time. so how can it not be true. so i guess people who wanted to buy an Ipad 1/2 before had second thought about buying one as retina display is coming, right ? i raised my case...

lol what?

I, for one, decided to wait when the first iPad came out BECAUSE the screen wasn't the best. I knew that it would be better, given that the iPhone had a higher dpi at the time, so I decided to be patient.

So if you want me to show you someone who felt that way about the first iPad, well, I'm one.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Couldn't agree more, I have been saying it since I picked up my iPad 3 on launch day, the weight of the iPad 3/4 is horrible. On the iPad 2, I would read iBooks with one hand hours at a time. 10 minutes with the iPad 3 and my hand is straining.
I know it isn't ridiculously heavy, but for its' use, it is simply too heavy.

I am holding out in hope that the iPad 5 is lighter, if not, I might give it a miss and get a mini.

So you are claiming you find the iPad 3/4 much heavier than the ipad 2? Know what that is called? Placebo.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Yep, I took my first couple ipads back. Couldn't live with the screen. It was like going back to an iphone 3GS.

Well, the iPad 1st gen was released before the iPhone 4, right? So no one knew what Retina was when it came out.

I got my iPad 1 a month before the iPhone 4 was announced. When I finally got an iPhone 4 in November of '10 my interest in the iPad did wane a bit as the screen door effect started to become noticeable.

I held on to that first iPad until November of '11. I actually was tired of the size of it and bought a Blackberry Playbook which was a good size at 7" and was adequate for my travelling/movie & tv watching.

Of course...the pull of the app store got me back into the iPad by March of '12. Sold the Blackberry Playbook for the amount I paid and got an iPad 2, then decided to upgrade to a 3 a few months later after deciding I wanted Retina!!!

Then the Mini comes out...awe man, back to the form factor I like....7-8" are better for portability I believe. The screen is better than my 1/2 iPad, but it has been difficult to give up the Retina of the 3 as I sold it this year.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
actually

So you are claiming you find the iPad 3/4 much heavier than the ipad 2? Know what that is called? Placebo.

Having owned 2/3/4, I'd say they were a bit heavier than the 2, especially the 4. I noticed my wrist pain flairing up faster with the 4 more than any other gen. My wrists are very sensitive so what might be the case for me, may not for most other people.

I really hope the Mini does not get much heavier with the addition of the eventual retina screen. It was such a joy to be able to hold it for a couple hours without strain.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I have both and I was using the Mini more. But for some reason I started using the 4 again and it has reminded me just how compromised the Mini is. I'm in my 40s with the usual deteriorating eyesight and I find a lot of apps I use just too small in the mini, Flipboard, Google Currents, Facebook.

I picked up a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and while its not a slick as the Mini, with the ability to render scalable fonts, it's just more usable.

I realise that Apple are caught in the screen ratio trap and sneer at Android but Android has some real benefits. I have an iPhone 5 and a Galaxy Note 2 and again the Note works better for me with its bigger screen.

Zav

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Congrats on your new iPad. You've probably got more money than sense being able to freely switch your device at will. However I'm not a sinic, and I presume you've earnt your cash. Go you!!

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
Congrats on your new iPad. You've probably got more money than sense being able to freely switch your device at will. However I'm not a sinic, and I presume you've earnt your cash. Go you!!

Are you referring to me? If so, you probably have more money than sense as well, because I can't switch "at will" either. I returned the iPad mini within the return window and just paid the difference. It's not like I went out, spent $499 on a whim, and tossed the mini in the trash.

Zav

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Are you referring to me? If so, you probably have more money than sense as well, because I can't switch "at will" either. I returned the iPad mini within the return window and just paid the difference. It's not like I went out, spent $499 on a whim, and tossed the mini in the trash.

I meant no offence :eek:. It didn't state in your original post that you returned it in the 'return period' that's all. I wish I had more money that sense, a poor student like me has to budget hard to be able to have such tech goodness!

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
I meant no offence :eek:. It didn't state in your original post that you returned it in the 'return period' that's all. I wish I had more money that sense, a poor student like me has to budget hard to be able to have such tech goodness!

lol no problem.

I thought people would assume that it was within the 14 day return period when I said I'd had it for only a week.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Having owned 2/3/4, I'd say they were a bit heavier than the 2, especially the 4. I noticed my wrist pain flairing up faster with the 4 more than any other gen. My wrists are very sensitive so what might be the case for me, may not for most other people.

I really hope the Mini does not get much heavier with the addition of the eventual retina screen. It was such a joy to be able to hold it for a couple hours without strain.

Placebo, you will barely notice the 50 grams in weight diff.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
I, for one, was quite determined that I wouldn't buy an iPad until I could get one with retina display. People thought I was unreasonable.

Wow, you guys are fortune teller. you knew at that time that a retina display Ipad is coming out so you waited. Hat's off to you for predicting what tech will be out. so what will be next for Apple, may i ask ?

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Yeah, I am waiting for the iPad mini to have retina display too. The iPad, iPhone iPod, MacBook Pro, are all retina, after using all retina, how could I go back!?

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Until Apple can make a 10" iPad that doesn't get HOT i will be sticking with my cool mini.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
we were all more fascinated by the iPad 2 than we were with the iPad 3, iPad 4, or even the iPad Mini...let's be honest with ourselves.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Until Apple can make a 10" iPad that doesn't get HOT i will be sticking with my cool mini.

are we really getting into this again?

i have and iPad 3 and it only ever so slightly gets warmer than my iPad 2 while playing a graphics intensive game. while watching a movie it's fine

the issue has been completely overblown -clearly there were defective units in the initial production batches but it is no longer a problem anymore

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
OP, I did the exact same thing as you. Luckily, I was able to do it before 6.1.3 came out so I now have a JB 4. IPad 4 just destroys the minis CPU. My PDFs are just as fast as my macbook.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
we were all more fascinated by the iPad 2 than we were with the iPad 3, iPad 4, or even the iPad Mini...let's be honest with ourselves.

None of them fascinated me, but the only one in that list that really got me excited to upgrade was the iPad 3. I had been looking forward to a Retina display, and when it finally came, it was even better than I had imagined it would be.

The iPad 2? I waited a few months before I reluctantly upgraded, and I only did that because of the pathetic RAM in the iPad 1 which made it impossible for me to view some of my PDFs.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
OP, I did the exact same thing as you. Luckily, I was able to do it before 6.1.3 came out so I now have a JB 4. IPad 4 just destroys the minis CPU. My PDFs are just as fast as my macbook.

Yep, and I study and read PDFs a ton of times throughout the week. So for me, the Mini just wasn't cutting it.

The iPad 2? I waited a few months before I reluctantly upgraded, and I only did that because of the pathetic RAM in the iPad 1 which made it impossible for me to view some of my PDFs.

This is also why I'm glad that I switched away from the mini. 512mb RAM means it won't be upgradeable for as long as you should expect, in my opinion.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Yep, and I study and read PDFs a ton of times throughout the week. So for me, the Mini just wasn't cutting it.

This is also why I'm glad that I switched away from the mini. 512mb RAM means it won't be upgradeable for as long as you should expect, in my opinion.

Well I am not sure the price of the larger iPads were ever worth it until the 3rd gen so I never even considered buying an ipad till then. Given the price of the mini and its specs, I feel the extra money spent on the 4 is worth it. And I do not care about the size and weight factor now and not sure how that is an issue when one is getting so much more for the money with the 4. It makes me wonder why I settled for the mini to begin with back when, I guess the price drove the sale.

Especially curious why the weight and size matters if one had a larger ipad than the mini all along before it came out. But like I said elsewhere, obviously that cannot be discounted given the number of sales and switch to the mini over a larger one by lots of folks.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
I'm doing the same thing. I just sold my mini to a coworker, for the price I paid for the device after throwing in a case and some Apple earbuds from my iPhone 5 that I never use!!

:D

Going to the Apple store after work and picking up a shiny new iPad 4.

The mini was driving me nuts with PDF reading.

I'm so happy!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.