Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jive

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Scotland
My girlfriend and I are going for a week before Uni. I love Barcelona and have been before, however, I loved it for the architcture and graffiti (odd combination eh? Well, I studied Gaudi for my pre-Uni course and I'm a huge fan of European graffiti) whereas my girlfriend would be perfectly happy to sit on the beach and go shopping.

Neither of us have problems with doing what the other wants - she wants to see Park Guell, La Sagrada Familia etc and I'm not bothered about going through shops (which are everywhere) and lying on the beach.

Being from Scotland (and having gone before, about 9 months ago) I'm aware how hot it gets - but what should we do when we're there. We're planning on staying at a wee appartment type place just off the Ramblas so we're fairly central. The only thing I don't want to do is go to Nou Camp - very little interest tbh.

So, suggestions apart from Sagrada Familia, Park Guell and Tibidabo please?

:]

Applespider

macrumors G4
La Pedrera - the other major Gaudi exhibit - and check to see if there are any summertime concerts on. They have them on the roof of La Pedrera and it's an amazing place to hear some opera/jazz/whatever with a glass of cava

There's a good restaurant called Taxidermista (it's in the old Natural History Museum) which is in the corner of the playa royale (?) which is on the left near the harbour end of the Ramblas. They have a chocolate espresso dessert which is to die for.

La Bocqueria, the food market, is also worth visiting for both picking up nibbles for breakfast/lunch and for taking pictures.

You might also want to head down towards Sitges or up to Calleja some day - the beaches might be a little quieter and they're fun places.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
What dates are you going? At the end of August it's Fiesta Major, basically a week-long firework throwing party :)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
jive said:
23rd to 28th - 5 nights. Last weekend in August.
Cool, then you'll be there for the big party. It's 22nd to 27th this year, although the main party is down in Sitges (which is a nicer place anyway IMO)

L

Lau

I went there last year, it was a great place. I also had a thread on it, you might find some useful bits in there.

We decided on the stuff we really didn't want to miss, and saw that, but otherwise played it by ear a bit and just wandered and Metroed about. The public transport was awesome – our hotel was a fair way out and we just got the night bus home each night. Very reliable, cheap and easy. We didn't use a single taxi the whole time, even from the airport because it was so easy to understand.

I'd say relax and see what you feel like and what looks good while you're there. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.