Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
Hey all,

I have a current gen iPod shuffle. I was on a run yesterday and the earbuds started to work incorrectly. As I anticipated, sweat gets into the earbuds, thus interrupting the control functionality. Songs will randomly stop or I'll hear voice over for the title. Has anyone experienced the same issues? I've been through this before with the iPhone earbuds and received two replacements; looks like I'll experience the same outcome with the shuffle.

On another note, is there any way to control the shuffle without the shuffle specific earbuds (i.e., is there any other way to control it?)?

Habitus :apple:

Maxa

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2010
I've had this same problem. My shuffle remote has long since stopped working, something which is particularly frustrating given that, for me, the main draw of the shuffle is precisely that its small enough to use while running.

As todd points out, there are third party headphone adapters. However, you'll notice on almost any site (Apple, Amazon etc.) that all of the major adapters (Belkin, Scosche, etc.) have gotten terrible reviews and seem to be cheaply constructed, so I've been reluctant to buy one. Just another reason that the current shuffle has been a major disappointment.

I've simply gone back to my older shuffle.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
I experienced the same issue during my run this morning. This is extremely frustrating and I looked into the belkin adapter, but $20!?! Not to mention the horrible ratings.

The earbud design makes the shuffle useless, essentially. Great idea, bad design. Can't believe I'd ever say that.

For those who have exchanged their earbuds at the store, were you given grief or was the exchange smooth?

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I've been using my original iPhone earbuds when I go running for about a year with no sweat issues. I have a set of gels over the earbuds that are mostly there to help hold them in my ears. However, it also keeps the sweat out of the buds so they don't get ruined. It also makes them sound a lot better since it focuses the sound into the ear. So, perhaps a cheap set of earbud gels over your Shuffle earbuds will solve your problem.

I also just got a set of Sennheiser PMX80 sport series for running instead mostly because I wanted something better sounding than the included earbuds. The sound of the Sennheisers is much improved over the other earbuds. They're very comfortable to wear (I stop noticing they're there after a few minutes), stay in place, and sweat is not a problem with those, either. However, they have no iPod shuffle controls, so they won't really help your problem. I think I remember finding some earbuds that are sport oriented that also have iPod shuffle controls, but I don't remember what they were now. If you don't like the earbud gel idea, then a something more designed for sports is a path to consider.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
I've been using my original iPhone earbuds when I go running for about a year with no sweat issues. I have a set of gels over the earbuds that are mostly there to help hold them in my ears. However, it also keeps the sweat out of the buds so they don't get ruined. It also makes them sound a lot better since it focuses the sound into the ear. So, perhaps a cheap set of earbud gels over your Shuffle earbuds will solve your problem.

I also just got a set of Sennheiser PMX80 sport series for running instead mostly because I wanted something better sounding than the included earbuds. The sound of the Sennheisers is much improved over the other earbuds. They're very comfortable to wear (I stop noticing they're there after a few minutes), stay in place, and sweat is not a problem with those, either. However, they have no iPod shuffle controls, so they won't really help your problem. I think I remember finding some earbuds that are sport oriented that also have iPod shuffle controls, but I don't remember what they were now. If you don't like the earbud gel idea, then a something more designed for sports is a path to consider.

Thanks for the suggestion. I definitely need those. I experienced the same issue again, this morning. I'll go to the store tomorrow and get a replacement pair.

Do you have a link to the earbud gels you're referring to?

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I've had them for years, so I can't find the specific ones anymore. I don't remember the brand. I think you could find something useful in Best Buy, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.