Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
I do like the red hue icon better but it'd be cool to integrate both. Leave the red-ish background and blend the note in with the blue-ish hurs

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I'm confused by your post. I'm on iOS 9.0 Beta 1 and the music icon is the same. Are you implying they are going to change the icon in 8.4 and then change it again in 9?
Apple says iOS 8.4 will add apple music in final version, and iOS 9 will surely add it when it goes to final. Therefore I expect we will see new icons in the formal iOS 8.4 as well as the future upcoming beta.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I'm confused by your post. I'm on iOS 9.0 Beta 1 and the music icon is the same. Are you implying they are going to change the icon in 8.4 and then change it again in 9?

The icon will probably change with 8.4 GM. And the beta for iOS 9 that comes out around that time will probably get it to. There's no concept of changing it again.

valleian

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
New York
The iTunes logo looks top notch in El Capitan.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 1,171

keatth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
I hate the red one and this new one, are they just lazy or did they actually spend hours creating these?

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Ha. Classic Steve.

'You're looking at it wrong.' Lol

Anyway, I agree. The old logo looked like it was better designed. The new Music icon just has too much white space. Then again, so does the iPad app so I guess it matches. It just doesn't look like a first party app from Apple. At least I can change the iTunes logo on my logo. As soon as it comes out its getting changed back to red. They have gotten really lazy with the icon designing lately. Just look at the Watch app and Activity app.

It's fugly. Just, just fugly.

Reactions: Canyonero

josephkrishna

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I think the new icon would have been better if it were inverted. Having the colors on the outside and a bold white music logo in the middle seems like it could look very good. As well as removing 'just another white app'.

brunozs

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2005
This kind of thing don't usually bother me, but, I must say the new logo is crap.

The previous one was warm, fun, and instantly recognizable.

Reactions: Canyonero

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Something like this? Sorry very low res. Cocked up part way thru edit and didn't want to start over.

cMj9NyD.jpg

Reactions: JaJaWa

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Post if you make it! :D

I think the new icon would have been better if it were inverted. Having the colors on the outside and a bold white music logo in the middle seems like it could look very good. As well as removing 'just another white app'.

It took me a bit understand what was going on with the gradient, and get something that looked right.

gradmu_zpsvzragk6y.png

I think the results are ok. Not bad on a white background, but I don't think it would look so good on backgrounds of a different color. I think the gradient is very complex to have so much of it. Apple seems to go by a rule of thumb that when you have a gradient with wide differences in hues, use only a little bit. Like the OS X, iOS, and watchOS icons, are all small slivers of gradients on white. On other icons, gradients that fill up an entire icon do so using similar colors: light green to dark green, light orange to dark orange, sometimes blue goes to purple but that's as far as it goes. That is until I saw the new iTunes icon...

I tried to make what the new one might look like from the shots on apple.com, I'm not sure if I like it. Maybe I'll replace it with the current one to see what it's like after a few days.

itunes_zpsgeexkrhw.jpg

I think something like this would be more successful. Sure it doesn't follow the same rules as the other round icons on OS X, but iTunes never follows the interface rules anyway.

ituneslight_zpsu82gu9tg.jpg

Haha sorry for the huge images :)

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It took me a bit understand what was going on with the gradient, and get something that looked right.

gradmu_zpsvzragk6y.png

I think the results are ok. Not bad on a white background, but I don't think it would look so good on backgrounds of a different color. I think the gradient is very complex to have so much of it. Apple seems to go by a rule of thumb that when you have a gradient with wide differences in hues, use only a little bit. Like the OS X, iOS, and watchOS icons, are all small slivers of gradients on white. On other icons, gradients that fill up an entire icon do so using similar colors: light green to dark green, light orange to dark orange, sometimes blue goes to purple but that's as far as it goes. That is until I saw the new iTunes icon...

I tried to make what the new one might look like from the shots on apple.com, I'm not sure if I like it. Maybe I'll replace it with the current one to see what it's like after a few days.

itunes_zpsgeexkrhw.jpg

I think something like this would be more successful. Sure it doesn't follow the same rules as the other round icons on OS X, but iTunes never follows the interface rules anyway.

ituneslight_zpsu82gu9tg.jpg

Haha sorry for the huge images :)
In my point of view, I don't really mind which one is better. In fact, I think, if I want to choose one, I prefer the new one presented in WWDC 2015. Yes it looks quite different from its predecessor, but this shows a vibrant and colourful impression of music. Current one looks more mature, and I can easily distinguish it from many apps with similar functionality.
I guess, Apple design this new icon, because they want to show everyone that music also has colour. It is not a simple rhyme. We listen to various types of music from various artists. We may or may not understand the meaning singers or singer teams conveyed to us, but we all love to listen to music. With the announcement of Apple music, apple think music lovers may find a brand new way enjoying what they love, wherever they live, and whenever they are.
I am afraid some sentences may be hard to understand. Sorry for this. :(

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Replacing icons on El Capitan is buggy right now, I couldn't get the icon to change.

Edit: got it to work. If anybody wants to try it out, here's the png.

itunes_elcap_zps9rvboigv.png

I spent some time really trying to get it close to the one on apple.com. Here's the comparison of my dock and the official one. The new iTunes icon also has a thicker border than the other round icons. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Untitled-1_zpsgh2gsmtn.jpg

Last edited:

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I have that icon on my jailbroken iPad and I'm already used to it, I think it looks beautiful.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Replacing icons on El Capitan is buggy right now, I couldn't get the icon to change.

itunes_elcap_zps9rvboigv.png

I spent some time really trying to get it close to the one on apple.com. Here's the comparison of my dock and the official one. The new iTunes icon also has a thicker border than the other round icons. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Untitled-1_zpsgh2gsmtn.jpg
Looks really similar! Excellent work!

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Looks terrible especially when taking into account how other apps look in iOS and OS X. It was always so simple and easy to notice:

red = music
blue = apps
orange = books

Now it reminds me of something Samsung would cook up.

Reactions: g-7 and Arran

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
The iTunes logo looks top notch in El Capitan.
I disagree. The use of color seems gratuitous. Lacking purpose.

And it's visually weak. It's like they couldn't agree on a dominant color, so they just used a bunch with a fade. A few more icons like that in the dock and they're going to be hard to tell apart.

Last edited:

TechFann

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2014
Yep. I think that is what they will do because the new app isn't officially released yet.

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014

Apple design is pretty un-unified right now. Hopefully they can unify it and fix some of the details. But seriously...they should at least change the App Store and iBook Store logos to fit the new iTunes one on OS X.

valleian

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I disagree. The use of color seems gratuitous. Lacking purpose.

And it's visually weak. It's like they couldn't agree on a dominant color, so they just used a bunch with a fade. A few more icons like that in the dock and they're going to be hard to tell apart.
I disagree. I feel it has the same impact as the iOS music app. It's no longer just about your music. It's about choice, what you want to hear, and what you can have , instead of what you just do have. I also feel that there shouldn't be any apps similar to the iTunes app on OS X, since no other apps are like iTunes.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I disagree. I feel it has the same impact as the iOS music app. It's no longer just about your music. It's about choice, what you want to hear, and what you can have , instead of what you just do have. I also feel that there shouldn't be any apps similar to the iTunes app on OS X, since no other apps are like iTunes.

So many of us wanted iTunes to be broken up but that'll probably not happen.

But your post gave me an idea. All those colors represent something. Red is music, purple is iTunes Store, bright blue/green is videos, etc. It makes a lot of sense. Sadly that idea breaks down because the music app has the same gradient. Would be nice for iTunes and Music to be more differentiated, this would have been a good chance. Leave the Music app red and it would have been clear why the iTunes icon is multicolor.

Reactions: n8cousins
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.