Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I've had my fancy ipad Air 2 for 2 days now. And all I've really done on it are things I did on my ipad 3. Web browsing, groupon, etc.

I feel like I should be able to do so much more with it.

Does anyone have any app suggestions that really put the Air 2 to work and really demonstrate its power and awesomeness? Something you've discovered in the past week that impressed you?

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Untill iOS matures, there really isn't a lot to differentiate what you can actually do.

The big one over the iPad 3, is performance.

The iPad Air 2 will carry out tasks faster and smoother than on previous iPads, but these are essentially the same tasks, just a better experience.

It's early days, but the apps will come, that exclude previous generations.

Pixelmator for example, one of it's biggest features is the repair tool, which is not available on iPad 3.

This will become more common going forward, especially between the 32 bit and 64 bit generations.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I find that statement interesting. One one was running iOS 8.1? New one is running iOS 8.1? What more were you "expecting" to do?

My ipad 3 was running ios 6

But that's not my point. I'm asking for suggestions on what this thing can do with the faster processor, etc. There should be apps out there that would really impress me after making this jump.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately

But that's not my point. I'm asking for suggestions on what this thing can do with the faster processor, etc. There should be apps out there that would really impress me after making this jump.

Well in that case there are plenty of new feature, and ways of doing things, but not much is going to change in apps unless the developer adds things to apps, some have added widgets in notification center.

Make bread.

I could do that on my original iPad mini. Where have you been?

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

Developers have had the A8X chip to play with for 1 week.

Give them time.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I've had my fancy ipad Air 2 for 2 days now. And all I've really done on it are things I did on my ipad 3. Web browsing, groupon, etc.

I feel like I should be able to do so much more with it.

Does anyone have any app suggestions that really put the Air 2 to work and really demonstrate its power and awesomeness? Something you've discovered in the past week that impressed you?

Looks like you want to be creative with your iPad.

Drawing/Painting try Autodesk Sketchbook or Procreate

Photo Manipulation/Graphic Design try Pixelmator or Photoshop Touch

Creative Writing/Journal try Paper by 53

Video Editing, try iMovie

Whenever I get bored, I notice I want to be creative but thats just me.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Developers of iPad apps are hamstrung by the fact that they are forced to support devices as far back as the iPad 2 - in the App Store, you can restrict your app to a specific version of iOS but even the iPad 2 is capable of being updated to iOS 8, which means the most a developer can do is put a disclaimer saying that their app doesn't run properly on older devices.

The original iPad Mini (which has the same internal specs as the three-year-old iPad 2) is still being sold and will likely need to be supported for another couple of years, which means you aren't going to see apps that can fully harness the potential of modern iPads until developers are released from the shackles of legacy support.

That said, the apps that will show off the latest iPad the most are going to be things like games, because rendering/textures/effects can be more easily tailored to lower/higher-end devices without sacrificing core functionality.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
The thread here helps reconfirm the fundamental issue with upgrading tablets and decline in sales growth. These new tablets are incredibly impressive and powerful and yes they are fast, but they don't do anything an old model couldn't do.

This is what is holding me back from upgrading my 4. I really want to find a reason to, but I'm not sure I can justify the out of pocket cost. For some, the extra speed is good enough reason but for what I do, its been a struggle.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
Geek: "Someone who builds a telephone to talk about telephones."

Just face it: you bought an iPad to go on MacRumors and talk about iPads, same as the rest of us.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
The thread here helps reconfirm the fundamental issue with upgrading tablets and decline in sales growth. These new tablets are incredibly impressive and powerful and yes they are fast, but they don't do anything an old model couldn't do.

This is what is holding me back from upgrading my 4. I really want to find a reason to, but I'm not sure I can justify the out of pocket cost. For some, the extra speed is good enough reason but for what I do, its been a struggle.

They do finally prevent dust under the screen issue which the Air and previous I assume were plagued with. I went through 3-5 iPad's with Dust under the screen and finally just kept the one what i couldn't really notice

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
This is precisely why i'm not upgrading any of my iPad's because they all basically do the same thing they did when Steve Jobs introduced the iPad. When iOS moves past one app at a time and allows for multi-windowed apps then i'll look to upgrade or if I have to have a killer app my current iPad's can't handle.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY

Yeah, that's my issue too. This new Air 2 has me intrigued but overall my Air is just as good or close to just as good at almost everything. So, I'd be spending money just to have the latest and greatest when it doesn't really do anything more than I would need anyways.

IMO, if you are fretting the decision then the decision is easy. Stay with what you got. The 4 is q good device as is and will still be viable for a long time yet. Just like my Air will be.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Yeah, that's my issue too. This new Air 2 has me intrigued but overall my Air is just as good or close to just as good at almost everything. So, I'd be spending money just to have the latest and greatest when it doesn't really do anything more than I would need anyways.

IMO, if you are fretting the decision then the decision is easy. Stay with what you got. The 4 is q good device as is and will still be viable for a long time yet. Just like my Air will be.

Good advice. I should probably stick to it instead of checking the Best Buy webpage a few times a day waiting for a cellular model to be available for pickup.

----------

They do finally prevent dust under the screen issue which the Air and previous I assume were plagued with. I went through 3-5 iPad's with Dust under the screen and finally just kept the one what i couldn't really notice

I haven't had this issue on any of my iPads. But yes, I would assume if you had the problem, the new screens should solve that.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Good advice. I should probably stick to it instead of checking the Best Buy webpage a few times a day waiting for a cellular model to be available for pickup.

----------

I haven't had this issue on any of my iPads. But yes, I would assume if you had the problem, the new screens should solve that.

Why not just pick it up at the Apple Store then ?

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I checked out the Air 2 at the Apple store over lunch today - it's so big! Definitely should've gotten split screen multitasking.

tobeornottobe

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
I have never bought an ipad before...so might be new for me. But Can I use it as an iPhone replacement since I'm still using iPhone 5, I might have to replace it a year or 2 from now. If I get the iPad air 2 with cellular can I just replace my iPhone for a lot of tasks I use it when I'm out in transport, cafes or restaurants etc.

ipaqowner

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006

Don't talk daft!, dust has never been a big issue with any iPad generation.
Sure you might get the odd one but it's never been a concern for 99.9% of owners.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010

troll faster!

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
So, we have this fancy new ipad - what do we do with it?

Don't talk daft!, dust has never been a big issue with any iPad generation.
Sure you might get the odd one but it's never been a concern for 99.9% of owners.

That's why I returned 3-5 iPad airs to best buy last December for dust under the screen. Heck search the forum

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Looks like you want to be creative with your iPad.

Drawing/Painting try Autodesk Sketchbook or Procreate

Photo Manipulation/Graphic Design try Pixelmator or Photoshop Touch

Creative Writing/Journal try Paper by 53

Video Editing, try iMovie

Whenever I get bored, I notice I want to be creative but thats just me.

Dont try anything that requires a accurate pen input--because the ipad is a joke

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Well, most of the power comes in the extra RAM, enabling a new generation of apps that can handle more complex tasks. So don't expect to do a whole lot more over night. For now enjoy your improved Safari and app loading experience. I think apps like Lightroom will get some advanced features, such as adjustment brushes and browsing will probably speed up dramatically. Drawing apps will be able to have larger canvases and/or more layers. Video editing apps will render faster, and might be able to have more realtime effect previews or advanced editing with more layers per timeline. I also tend to think we might see some limited split-screen multitasking in iOS 9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.