Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Remember these? They used to be the bane of every Genius Bar appointment-holder's existence:

iphonehumidity.jpg

The locations of these moisture sensors were well know for just about every iPhone up to the 4S, but I can't find them in the 5. Surely, Apple still wants a quick way for their techs to know when an iPhone has legitimately "just stopped working," and when it stopped because it took a dunk in the drink.

Anyone know where they might be hiding?

jester0723

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Virginia
Makes me miss the Blackberry days when there was one indicator behind the back plate under the battery. If you fished it out of the water fast enough and ripped out the battery, it wouldn't even get wet :rolleyes:

andylee97

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
they are on the side where the sim card is inserted. I went to purchase applecare for my new i5 and the genius there popped out my sim card and shined a flash light into the port to look for water damage.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
There would be an indicator inside the phone. All the genius would need to do is pop the back of and check inside.

Frasern1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
North Carolina
There would be an indicator inside the phone. All the genius would need to do is pop the back of and check inside.
What they told my girlfriend when we went into the Apple store with her 4 is that there was 2 on the outside and 2 on the inside. Don't know how much truth there was to that but she dropped it in a sink full of water and only managed to set off one external one but they gave her a new phone anyways lol.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space

I wonder if it's any more difficult to trip the sensor in the SIM slot? It seemed like the old would go off if you were using it on a muggy day.

I think the reasoning behind it is opening all these sim slots and having them laying on the counter with 30 to 40 people in an apple store at a given time.

When I was at the Apple store yesterday one of the guys was inspecting a phone for water damage (Inspection for Applecare+). The Guy had to get out his iPhone and use the flashlight app to even see inside of the phone. I hope its deep enough to prevent hand moisture/humidity.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
So is it in the sim slot or in the lighting port??

Seem to be getting mixed responses.

trixnrice

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008
i've opened up my iphone 5's, there are two water markers on the inside. its not hard for them to pop the screen off. the genius cant/wont do it, but he'll take it to the tech guy in the back and he'll check.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
Just inside the sim slot.
Watch a tear down video for proof.

I can confirm this ... Took an iPhone 5 in to get AppleCare + and all the Genius did was pop the sim tray and took a very quick look and said ok your good. I flat out asked is that where the water indicator is and he said "one of them"

Kyleptrsn1

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
Makes me miss the Blackberry days when there was one indicator behind the back plate under the battery. If you fished it out of the water fast enough and ripped out the battery, it wouldn't even get wet :rolleyes:

Makes me miss the days when they were obvious white tabs under the battery that were the size of a hole punch. Just peel, punch, and stick and nobody could ever prove otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.