Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
This thread will be nothing but arguments from both sides of the fence. Like neighbors who don't like each other shouting over the fence lol. :p

For what it is its pricey at the moment, but hey so are some designer sneakers, designer clothing blah blah. IF someone is happy with it & it works for them so be it. Same can be said from people who don't think its worth it. Nobody really needs to justify their purchase, but we often like too its just human nature.

This thread will be a blood bath, it will be at the top like a sticky. Like DC vs Marvel fanboys ripping into each other.

Let the games begin! :mad:

Just kidding, lets all get along :p

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Casual users? No, because it's priced out of their reach or they likely already have an Air and can live without the screen.

You realize how stupid this seems right? Where did you get the notion that "casual users" either already own an Air (and somehow wouldn't want an even lighter machine WITH a retina display) OR more importantly, that they somehow have a lower amount of money to spend? :rolleyes:

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Can I work on a word document side by side with say, a browser for reference in a split screen on the iPad?

Not exactly, but functionally pretty equivalent, yes. When you wanna view the other app's document you just double click the home button to see the other window's contents almost full screen, then click the home button again to return to your word document. And of course if you jailbreak you can have true side by side windows. Alternatively you can also use your phone as the net surfing window.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
The price will eventually come down, and it will probably eventually replace the MacBook Air.

I thought it was interesting how they brought the MacBook (without a modifier) branding back. Part of me thinks it's to have a match for the ChromeBook, which has been making inroads in education. Obviously they're right now nowhere close on price and never will be, but Apple was down this path before with the MacBook Air competing against netbooks. The MacBook Air eventually succeeded. The difference is this time people seem to like their ChromeBooks more than they liked netbooks.

Right now I think the product is more for Apple strategically than it is for any demographic. It establishes a clear competitor to ChromeBooks, and it will evolve over time. It's offering a full desktop OS and Apple's design at a higher price than the ChromeBook. Apple has shown it can use those factors to its advantage before.

I personally wouldn't buy one right now, though. That's why I think it's more strategic. People will buy them, but it's also a placeholder for the future.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
The price will eventually come down, and it will probably eventually replace the MacBook Air.

I thought it was interesting how they brought the MacBook (without a modifier) branding back. Part of me thinks it's to have a match for the ChromeBook, which has been making inroads in education. Obviously they're right now nowhere close on price and never will be, but Apple was down this path before with the MacBook Air competing against netbooks. The MacBook Air eventually succeeded. The difference is this time people seem to like their ChromeBooks more than they liked netbooks.

Right now I think the product is more for Apple strategically than it is for any demographic. It establishes a clear competitor to ChromeBooks, and it will evolve over time. It's offering a full desktop OS and Apple's design at a higher price than the ChromeBook. Apple has shown it can use those factors to its advantage before.

I personally wouldn't buy one right now, though. That's why I think it's more strategic. People will buy them, but it's also a placeholder for the future.

EXACTLY. Well the part its a strategic method they are trying. Obviously they only have the 12" model at the moment. If what they are throwing sticks to the wall with the masses, we will see it grow like the MBA. With probably two different screen sizes. Me myself, would like to see a 14" version with a bit of a bigger footprint with the same sexy design. We shall see, if they keep buying, they will keep making, and making it better!

I think the funny thing is some people INTENTIONALLY trying to push the machine to show its limits or lag etc. That is like me having a mid ranged gaming PC, and trying to play games above 1080p at more then 60 FPS. The machine is just not built for that.

johngwheeler

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
I come from a land down-under...
Great review!

Who's it for? Me.

25,000 air miles in the last 12 days with this thing. Three continents. Two oceans.

I use a Citrix client over a VPN, the MS Office suite (PS--Office 2016 for Mac is still half baked for me, so I still use 2011), various and sundry web browsers and extensions.

I'm guessing that I represent 90% of the business traveling public here with my needs.

I want thin, light, and powerful enough to do what I need to do.

I've had every 11 inch MBA they have ever made, trying to get to this sweet spot. This machine does it all for me, as I have found on this road trip.

Dropbox, Plugbug for an extra USB power port on the 29W USB-C power adapter to power my iphone, and wireless tethering to my iphone hotspot have made the ports for me unnecessary--that was my biggest concern.

I have the USB-C to USB adapter (for the occasional key drive) and the USB-C to video adapter (for presentations only). Didn't use them that much.

I'm still trying to figure out how long the power lasts on battery only. Looks like about 8 hours, same as my MBA.

Is it expensive? Yes. But that's the early adopter tax.

Two years from now this form factor and laptop will dominate the market, and will be cheaper.

I'm loving it.

PittAir has succinctly explain the use case for the rMB with real-world examples.

Believe me, if you carry a laptop on the road / in planes etc. for days on end, you really do not want heavy & large machines. After a while, you're happy to make the compromises involved in going super-light. I have my own travel kit pared down to the minimum - the lightest Samsonite hand-luggage I could find, never travel with check-in bags, have packing systems that compress a week's worth of business clothes to something that fits in a laptop bag, and smaller versions of everything - toothpaste, razor, cables etc. I buy outdoors clothes and other gear in mountaineering stores - those guys really know about weight loss!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
News flash: millions of laptops didn't magically stop working with the release of the rMB. There are millions of people with millions of machines who travel everyday and nothing has changed with the release of this computer.
Your 13" rMBP is a derivative of the 2008 MacBook Air, which was considered by many to be underpowered, not have enough ports, and to be incredibly expensive. You're squawking about $1,299 for 256 GB SSD/8GB RAM. How about $1,799 for a notebook that came with the same 80GB HDD found in iPod Classics and 2GB RAM?

You may not find any value in the first few generations of this product. Or maybe you'll never find value in any subsequent MacBook.

But if history repeats itself, the stuff Apple is learning to do with this new MacBook will eventually make it into a future generation MacBook Pro (with enough processor power and ports to float your boat), so why knock it?

It's product evolution, and the odds are that you'll eventually directly benefit from it.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
PittAir has succinctly explain the use case for the rMB with real-world examples.

Believe me, if you carry a laptop on the road / in planes etc. for days on end, you really do not want heavy & large machines. After a while, you're happy to make the compromises involved in going super-light. I have my own travel kit pared down to the minimum - the lightest Samsonite hand-luggage I could find, never travel with check-in bags, have packing systems that compress a week's worth of business clothes to something that fits in a laptop bag, and smaller versions of everything - toothpaste, razor, cables etc. I buy outdoors clothes and other gear in mountaineering stores - those guys really know about weight loss!

Nike Dri-fit type "swishy" pants i call them or "windbreaker" pants with a windbreaker jacket is your friend for regular clothes if you travel. Light and the jackets are usually packable. So comfy too, and Nike and Adidas makes some snazzy looking ones :)

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I think this is actually for me.

I'm someone who:

*does a lot of light use at home at night
*barely use it to connect to things other than backup (maybe once a month)
*take it on the go a looot (when I'm at gf's place or at work)
*most I do is a few tabs of Firefox and VLC playing
*has the money to spend on it (I sold my MBP retina 15 because it's just too heavy to carry around

I bought a refurbish MBA but just couldn't get used to the crappy screen (it also has really bad color which washes out everything)

Also love the non-glowing mac because i like working at night and it's bugging me

also love the non glowing charger (same reason)

now, it's not without fault

*where is the power cord? How cheap is Apple to not include that?
*would it kill them to have 2 USB-C port? (Don't say it's because of "thinness" I can guarantee you that version 2 will)
*keyboard is easy but not the same, I'm sure I will get used to it in a bit

rahulr

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
North Carolina
*would it kill them to have 2 USB-C port? (Don't say it's because of "thinness" I can guarantee you that version 2 will)

This. Hell id even give up the headphone jack if it meant a second USB C port.

For now I'll go with my plugbug ( if only it fit the 28w flush).

Maybe the aftermarket will bring a charger with two ports or maybe even a lightning port to charge my phone.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
This. Hell id even give up the headphone jack if it meant a second USB C port.

For now I'll go with my plugbug ( if only it fit the 28w flush).

Maybe the aftermarket will bring a charger with two ports or maybe even a lightning port to charge my phone.

one good thing about going USBC as oppose to Apple's own is that there will be some creative third party accessories.

that's literally the only I like about ports on this laptop.

It feels like Apple took out USB3 on MBP and forces everyone to use thunderbolt.

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Not exactly, but functionally pretty equivalent, yes. When you wanna view the other app's document you just double click the home button to see the other window's contents almost full screen, then click the home button again to return to your word document. And of course if you jailbreak you can have true side by side windows. Alternatively you can also use your phone as the net surfing window.

I am sure you can tell that these are all workarounds that are trumped by the actual and practical capabilities of the rMB. It is still a laptop after all, despite peoples attempts to "tablet" it.

usernames.taken

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2015
Australia
Theres no point getting sucked into debating this.

Haters are going to hate, and they will not be proven wrong by logic. They'll likely be proven wrong by sales figures, and they will still be hating.

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
This reminds me of the Apple naysayers asking Apple fans to justify why they spend so much money on inferior products (their words not mine) when a superior but infinitely cheaper Windows PC can be purchased, que a rush of Apple folks justifying their purchases. Talk about irony.

Let's face it, your justification isn't going to be enough, we can go round in circles explaining the reasons but it's likely to fall on deaf ears.

People have bought the rMB for their own reasons, no justification required.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
If i were a millionaire and bought my very own Giraffe, because owning him made me more happy compared to owning a dog or cat. Would you guys judge me? :p

What about if i were a millionaire and instead of buying super cars, i choose to drive around in a Prius.....

See its ALL SUBJECTIVE! Other people criticizing others because something they like or fits there needs is ridiculous.

Lets all just get along, and be happy any of us can afford any of these nice machines, wether if its a MBA, MBPR or hell a 2009 white Macbook! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

Last edited:

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Am I missing something?

It's $1,299 for a very small laptop with a permanent keyboard attached that isn't very powerful at all and requires adapters out the @$$

Casual users? No, because it's priced out of their reach or they likely already have an Air and can live without the screen.

Yes, you are missing something. I bought an Apple USB-C to USB Adapter for $19 and thats the only one I need. I use it casually, its not priced out of my reach and I hate the garbage display on the Air. Will gladly pay the extra few hundred for the retina display, better keyboard and trackpad and twice the amount of RAM and storage.

lo100469

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2013
Brussels
I do not post often but as I'm buying one, I wanted to post why. I second Pittair, the OP is missing at least one type of user in his post. The frequent traveller. I travel intensively all year long and currently use a mid 2012 MacBook Air. I use it all day long, so I'm not just a casual user, but nothing intensive, Citrix with VPN, office, Safari, mail, iTunes, photo, and a dvd rip from time to time. I will upgrade to a retina display, smaller but with the same screen estate, better battery life, smaller package, silent all the time. The speed will be more or less the same as my Air, plenty enough for me.
As I upgrade every 3 to 5 years, I'm not price sensitive.
Also one port for me is a bonus. I currently plug the Air once a week in clamshell mode to an old 23 cinema display, and a second usb time machine backup at the office. I will be able to leave the dongle there with all devices and power plugged, and just connect the dongle when i get there.
None of the above is revolutionary, it is just convenience, but this laptop is really right for my use, I do not need the power of the pro, neither do I need the ports.

Ps: English is my second language so apologies for the typos...

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You buy the new Macbook if you NEED a new laptop and are not expecting it to be pushed too hard. Gaming people and CPU intensive users need not apply. Apple is simply giving us another choice. That does not mean you need to replace you MBPro

usernames.taken

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2015
Australia
Asking this is like going to a sneaker fanatic forum and asking why people would want to pay such and such a price for such and such pointless sneaker.

The OP is a troll right?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
News flash: millions of laptops didn't magically stop working with the release of the rMB. There are millions of people with millions of machines who travel everyday and nothing has changed with the release of this computer.

The 13" rMBP is still compact, lightweight, and has an excellent display. I get that things are relative. But for what you get, the 13" just makes infinitely more sense.

The rMBP is close to twice the weight of the rMB - how's that for a news flash?

If that doesn't wake you up, here's another news flash: product improvement is ok. Are you suggesting we should freeze development? I have a great idea: let's dial everyone's computers back to 1988. Things worked well enough then. :rolleyes:

Finally, what makes infinitely more sense TO YOU does not necessarily make any sense to other people. Narcissism much?

----------

OP is picking a fight :)

IMHO, this laptop has a place, but not at this price point. Shave a couple hundred off, and I think you start to see it fall into the product line better. Even better, kill the MBA and let this one stand in its place.

The processor and port issue will clear themselves up in a year or two. Once they do, this will be an excellent machine. However, if I had to buy TODAY, I would go rMBP 13.

----------

Exactly. That is what the consumers were wanting... And what I think they will end up having in this new MacBook after 1 or 2 more generations.

No, the OP is trolling, pure and simple.

----------

I have tried it several times but it is not for me. Too lightweight - feels cheap; definitely underpowered; and the screen is way too small. That said, there are Apple fan boys and girls who will buy "anything" Apple churns out - and they will always find a way to convince themselves that it has value and is affordable - even if facts dictate otherwise. So while our "dislike of macbook" comments may not be welcomed here - the should be. Everyone's opinion matters.

So...anyone who doesn't agree with you is a mindless fan boy or fan girl? Where did you get this galactic grade of wisdom and insight? I hope you're not in politics. It's bad enough that you think you know better than other people what's best for them and are willing to tell them that their opinions are mindless fanboyism. You're not respecting other people's opinions, you're saying only yours is worthwhile. :rolleyes:

----------

Calling someone an ignorant, deluded fanboy because their opinion differs from yours is not stating facts or offering an opinion, lt is trolling. It is also not terribly mature.

Thank you - better said than I did.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
For people saying its for casual users who just surf the net, email, write text, Netflix, power points, PDFs, etc. the rMBP has to be compared against an iPad with a keyboard case. That would do all those same jobs at least as well if not better, and it's much cheaper, just as portable, has a retina screen also, has a higher resolution camera, etc.

I agree with OP. For light work and casual users who want an ultra portable device, there are better devices you can get.

Can I work on a word document side by side with say, a browser for reference in a split screen on the iPad?

Depends on what you're doing. Reading email, web browsing - yeah, iOS devices are great. Work on even a single Word or Excel document and even the smaller OS X machines are light years ahead. Open two side by side - oops... ;) At the current state of development there are a lot of cases for which an iPad simply doesn't come close to replacing an ultraportable laptop running a desktop OS.

elithrar

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2007
Who's it for? Me.
Dropbox, Plugbug for an extra USB power port on the 29W USB-C power adapter to power my iphone, and wireless tethering to my iphone hotspot have made the ports for me unnecessary--that was my biggest concern.

Is it expensive? Yes. But that's the early adopter tax.

Two years from now this form factor and laptop will dominate the market, and will be cheaper.

You get it. Also, that PlugBug (World) is fantastic and is on my list.

Personally: I'm a power user. I cut code in my spare time, have (way too many) Homebrew packages, run headless staging VMs, etc.

But I can make do with a smaller, lighter laptop because I travel, and even with all of those tasks the rMB will be fine. Most tasks really don't require that much compute power (except XCode: it's a hog).

For others: don't conflate "casual" with "poor" or "budget". There are more casual users than power users by a LONG SHOT. Plenty of lucrative professions don't need computer savvy.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Like, really?

Am I missing something?

It's $1,299 for a very small laptop with a permanent keyboard attached that isn't very powerful at all and requires adapters out the @$$

Power users? No, because they already have a rMBP, and it's not even a powerful laptop.

Apple addicts? This is the only category I can see actually buy one, but I can't see them recouping their R&D with sales to this demographic at all.

You know you start off on the right track (by asking a question), but then descend into the all too familiar "only fanboys, morons and idiots will use this thing because *I* don't see any value in it" attack. If you don't understand, ask a question, that's respectful and great on a discussion forum, but doing so only as a guise to hide one's real intent, which is to denigrate people who actually find utility in this machine, that's a bit puerile.

With this machine there are so many who find utility in it there's a 4-6 week backlog of orders, which you declare to be people who will buy anything with a shiny apple on it. How inferior all those people and the fact Apple will lose money on them (as you claim) we should declare war on them or lock them all up, right? ;)

Several in this thread already have said why it's an ideal machine for them (today), hopefully that helps clear up any confusion you might have had, or perhaps it reinforces your view the world is filled with people who have more dollars than sense?

Personally, I think this machine is incredible, I want one for myself today, it's too bad I'm not in the market for one right now. It fits my needs perfectly, but I'm sporting a fairly new MBA 11" (which I might just have to sell so I can get my hands on this most lovely device<smile>). For me, it's always, always, always about portability. I don't care about ports (that's an issue easily resolved, it has been for a long time), the cost issue, that's a minor issue true but it's not really so much that it'd keep me from buying it if I were in the market for one. The performance issue (as some claim) is a non-issue, my MBA is my main machine and I have no issues whatsoever with its speed, in fact, I'm always impressed how well such a small device actually does with all I throw its way.

For those who aren't the target market for this machine, I'd still be very excited. Much of the new stuff in this machine is going to be rolled into other products and lines, and you can't deny there is some very sexy technology and engineering in this device. Sure, the early adopters pay more for the privilege of getting their hands on it today, but soon it'll be available in other products and hopefully when you have a product incorporating it, you'll think back to now, when this machine was introduced when you couldn't see any reason for such a product and you'll realise how wrong it was to assume such. Or not.

Maclee2010

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2010
Louisville, KY
Its for someone that finds it meets their needs or desires. It clearly is not for you right? Also, the one I bought was about $1,600 because I was dumb enough to pay for the 1.3 processor all MR "expert" snots claim is clearly not worth it. BTW it fits on the tiny tray table of the new micro seats Delta just installed on their jets. I am typing on one now. My 13" rMBP I took on trip to vegas last week did not fit.

Party on!

Actually, according to the early benchmarks, it was not a dumb idea getting the 1.3. It turns out to be the real workhorse of the new macbook line. The benchmarks are right in line with my old late 2013 13" i5 rMBP....Not bad performance at all....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.