Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
It will run on a G4. Not sure about G3's. If no one knows I can send an email to my programmer at WWDC and have her ask.

Indiana Mac

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2003
Athens, Georgia
If it will run on a G4 there should not be any reason why it could not run on a G3(as far as I understand it). Its my understanding that Tiger just further integrated 64-bit componets into the system to allow the G5s to take advantage of their true potential. Besides, there are a ton of G3 users out there(my self included) who'd be very unhappy.

64-Bit in Tiger

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
Apple has always been pretty good with allowing older computers run current operating systems so I guess as Sun Baked said the question is will is ship on a DVD (which will not work in macs with CD-ROM drives).

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
It'll run on all the models Apple supports in 10.3 with the possible exception of the Lombard & original iMac line.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
they probably wont ship if only on DVDs, they may make a CD-Rom version and a DVD version, but not only a DVD, some of the emacs not too long ago (and maybe still) can come with only a CD-ROM drive, and thus they would not want to lose those sales, ect....

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
The response was that Tiger technically will run on a G3 but the Quartz based goodies will obviously not work. This came from one of the Apple engineers. He did not know anything re marketing plans.

Pipian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
It would make no sense for it not to work on non DVD Drives.. That would mean the first White iMacs wouldn't work.. Or iBooks as new as this last October

kidA

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
you can still get ibooks with only cd rom drives in the education store, so i'd imagine that 10.4 will be offered on both CD and DVD.
not to mention the fact that the xserve generally has only a cdrom drive. so the newest version of server will have to ship on cd roms.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
At this point in time there aren't that many G5's around compared to the number of G3s and G4s. It would be the non-event of the decade to release an OS that only runs on G5's.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
caveman_uk said:
At this point in time there aren't that many G5's around compared to the number of G3s and G4s. It would be the non-event of the decade to release an OS that only runs on G5's.

kinda like how the 30" LCD's only run on G5's

stoid

macrumors 601
adamjay said:
kinda like how the 30" LCD's only run on G5's

Disregarding the absolute necessity of needing a special video card to drive the thing...

I doubt that many people have $3299 to get a monitor just for casual use. If you NEED to have that kind of monitor, chances are you NEED a G5 as well.

What is your need for a monitor that size?

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
no need really. but it does match my no need for an OS that's been written more for the G5 than anything else.

the point i was trying to make is that the 30" Display is in reality just as much a non-event as Tiger would be if it were only for G5's.
Considering outside of the cost for the display alone, one without a G5 would have to pay at least $2600 just to have the equipment to use it.

tliptak

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
The Panther was 3 cds

2 700mb ones

and one smaller 300mb?

The Dev release of Tiger is about 1670mb.

If the final is still around that size it would still be able to be released on 3 cds.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
Apparently built in firewire is a requirement of 10.4. However as many patches and workarounds were released to allow 10.3 to work on legacy machine I'm sure the same will happen again.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i dont see apple catering to the non dvd group to much. i feel the final copy of tiger will be released on a dvd, and just like the readme says, require a dvd drive and a mac with built in firewire. now i can see apple selling a custom box with cd's, but i highly doubt it. i think for the early ibook and emac users it will be time to either upgrade to a new machine, stay with panther, or invest in a exteral combo drive.

iJon

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i'll eat my own head if the final release is on a dvd there are macs sold today without dvd drives (edu ones) and yes it will work on a g3 i have it on my ibook now (600MHz CD installed it in firewire disk mode from my cube)

all it will require is a mac with on board firewire which is reasonable.

and for the rest there is always xpostfacto (see http://www.macsales.com)

stoid

macrumors 601
There is one MAJOR problem with Tiger not working on older computers, and that is in the education market. Almost all schools will only upgrade computers as often as they can afford it, and never all the computers at once. From a technical standpoint, it is incredibly difficult to be running different versions of an operating system. I work at a high school preparing computers for a new school year. This summer we are finally making a total transition to Mac OS X. If Tiger only supports DVD capable computers, about 75% or our machines will not take it. However, the school is often given money with the directive to buy new computers whether it is from the government or an alumni. After Tiger comes out, chance are new Apple's will not be able to boot in Panther. We will then be split between two systems, making it much harder for our media director to do his job. Please Apple, give us CDs or don't FORCE the new computers to boot Tiger.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
stoid said:
There is one MAJOR problem with Tiger not working on older computers, and that is in the education market. Almost all schools will only upgrade computers as often as they can afford it, and never all the computers at once. From a technical standpoint, it is incredibly difficult to be running different versions of an operating system. I work at a high school preparing computers for a new school year. This summer we are finally making a total transition to Mac OS X. If Tiger only supports DVD capable computers, about 75% or our machines will not take it. However, the school is often given money with the directive to buy new computers whether it is from the government or an alumni. After Tiger comes out, chance are new Apple's will not be able to boot in Panther. We will then be split between two systems, making it much harder for our media director to do his job. Please Apple, give us CDs or don't FORCE the new computers to boot Tiger.
alright, first lets clear some things up. what is your definition of older computers, that will answer many questions. now you are right about computers that ship with tiger, they will not be able to go lower. but i do not find that a problem, as long as all computers are on mac os x. i can go throw my powerbook in a mix of 10, 10.1, 10.3, and a DP 10.4 and they would all connect with no problems, even if if i was in a os 9 enviroment it would work all great, even if i had a windows machine it would work superb.

iJon

stoid

macrumors 601
We have an entire lab of 400Mhz slot-loading Ruby iMacs, but come to think of it they do have FireWire, so we can use them in target disk or what not to install. The big problem we have with running different versions of Mac OS X is really the teacher/student end. When the interfaces are not consistent it confuses or irritates the less than computer savvy types that are so prevalent at our school. And when the users are having problems, everyone has problems.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
stoid said:
We have an entire lab of 400Mhz slot-loading Ruby iMacs, but come to think of it they do have FireWire, so we can use them in target disk or what not to install. The big problem we have with running different versions of Mac OS X is really the teacher/student end. When the interfaces are not consistent it confuses or irritates the less than computer savvy types that are so prevalent at our school. And when the users are having problems, everyone has problems.
now i completly agree on the different interfaces, nothing is worse than having to memorize multiple systsm to help out people, and i do go through that every day. "is you apple in the the top left colored of blue"..."it's neither, now what" :)

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.