Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hitmanbbq59

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2020
What is your purpose of holding back specific iOS/iPadOS features? Greed?

Everyone was super pumped about 4K video coming to the app, but no one asked for the updated resolution picker.

Everyone is super pumped that Picture in Picture is coming, but that has not shown up yet even for premium subscribers in the app.

I always tend to notice that YouTube (Google) is late to the party in almost everything. They shouldn't be years late bringing basic features to the iPhone or iPad. I know the problem can NOT be resources and I guess the infamous "terrible YouTube app dev team" reigns true, but Picture in Picture for iPad debuted with iOS 9! A year ago for the iPhone! Netflix, Hulu, etc jumped on the opportunity as soon as they could, but where was Youtube? Dark mode for Gmail took a year or so to come to iOS too.

Still eagerly waiting for PIP to come to my iOS devices after being announced over a week ago.

Reactions: zakarhino

Hitmanbbq59

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2020
The absolute worst way to watch YouTube vids is through the YouTube app - unless you like watching ads or spending tons of money every month to get rid of them.
The best way is to use the Dolphin browser. It blocks the ads.
I guess I am one of the few that like the app. I am a student so I don't mind paying $5 a month for ad-free, background play, and soon PIP. I also prefer having 4K video to watch!

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2021
Google apps are not designed, they are made by geeks who have no idea what they are doing. It's a company culture issue. They don't care about the user experience. If you hate the iOS app though, just try the Apple TV YouTube app. It's a tragedy.

R.T.J.

Suspended
Jun 3, 2021
I guess I am one of the few that like the app. I am a student so I don't mind paying $5 a month for ad-free, background play, and soon PIP. I also prefer having 4K video to watch!
Yes, you are a student, and you should learn not to waste money on leisure. Get an ad blocker instead and there is nothing "cool" about watching something in 4K when in reality the compression brings it down to 720p. Besides, NOTHING on youtube is worth 4K.

Reactions: baypharm

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I’m another one. I don’t think we are few outside of forums like this one. And you also get the YouTube music streaming app (which I find to be quite good actually) included in the Premium subscription. Personally, I only use YouTube to watch music videos, and to listen to music through their music streaming app.

Reactions: Hitmanbbq59

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Yes, you are a student, and you should learn not to waste money on leisure. Get an ad blocker instead and there is nothing "cool" about watching something in 4K when in reality the compression brings it down to 720p. Besides, NOTHING on youtube is worth 4K.
Which ad-blocker? AFAIK, the algorithm has changed and rendered useless all the ad-blockers that use Apple content blocker API... any suggestions (iOS)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.