1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Software and Hardware upgrades for Power Mac G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by InfoTime, Jan 11, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Working on a Power Mac G4 (blue) 450 MHz with 256 MB RAM, 10.2.x and Office X. What's the sweetspot for upgrading this machine?

I was thinking Tiger 10.4.11 and another 1 GB of RAM. Would the install of Office X survive an upgrade to Tiger and is Office X compatible with Tiger?

2. macrumors 6502

The ram and Tiger are a good way to help optimize it.

I would check out ebay or www.ramseeker.com for the best deals on the ram.

Have you added usb 2.0 or sata compatibility? You can get PCI cards that make that possible.

I think you'll be fine with Office X and Tiger.

3. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I'd upgrade the memory to 2gb, install a dual processor(dual 500mhz), install a better graphics card(ie ATI 9800 pro). PCI SATA adapter with SATA hard drives and a USB 2.0 PCI card. Tiger 10.4 OSX will be the latest OS that you could run.

But after all that, I would rather pick up a cheap G5 for the same price as those upgrades.

4. macrumors 65816

300D

Max out the ram, upgrade to a used Apple dual CPU board (if your model will accept them) or a modified 600mhz single from ebay.

An upgrade that makes a BIG difference is to get a SATA card and a 16gb SSD boot drive. Those ancient IDE drives are a huge bottleneck even on a completely stock machine.

Get any cheap mac AGP video card with 32 or 64mb of ram.

Spending more money than that is a waste, you'll be in G5 price territory, which even the base models are faster than any G4 ever could be.